Marvel's Iron Fist Season 2 - Much Better

Ryujin

Legend
I am waiting for the meta-paywall. A business that makes deals with the various paywalls, and offers packages of them to viewers, like your cable company today does with premium channels. "Now, for $19.99 a month, you get Netflix, Hulu, CBS All-Access..."

Eventually that may happen but so far the closest that I've seen is The Fantasy Network but that brings together disparate independent content creators, not distributors.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Eventually that may happen but so far the closest that I've seen is The Fantasy Network but that brings together disparate independent content creators, not distributors.

Well, that's the way it is going. Netflix and Hulu carrying other people's content made sense when streaming services were new, and the content creators didn't want to be in the business of streaming. But, the technology matured, and now standing up a streaming service is not a matter of developing new technology, but of implementing known solutions. So, the content creators will pull their stuff back behind their own paywalls. Disney is certainly pulling all their stuff off Netflix. CBS will pull all their stuff off other platforms to be on CBS All Access, and so on.

So, Netflix and Hulu won't have that much content from other parties. They saw the writing on the wall, and became content creators themselves. Soon, we get to every channel being a pay channel, which looks great for the producers, but is kind of crappy to manage for consumers. Then, you get the meta-paywall, to manage it for you...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, that's the way it is going. Netflix and Hulu carrying other people's content made sense when streaming services were new, and the content creators didn't want to be in the business of streaming. But, the technology matured, and now standing up a streaming service is not a matter of developing new technology, but of implementing known solutions. So, the content creators will pull their stuff back behind their own paywalls. Disney is certainly pulling all their stuff off Netflix. CBS will pull all their stuff off other platforms to be on CBS All Access, and so on.

So, Netflix and Hulu won't have that much content from other parties. They saw the writing on the wall, and became content creators themselves. Soon, we get to every channel being a pay channel, which looks great for the producers, but is kind of crappy to manage for consumers. Then, you get the meta-paywall, to manage it for you...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Just go back to downloading again pre Netflix style. Even 2-3 pay services are still cheaper than Satellite TV. Problem is when you will want 5+.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just go back to downloading again pre Netflix style.

I will generally just miss a show entirely, rather than commit piracy.

Even 2-3 pay services are still cheaper than Satellite TV. Problem is when you will want 5+.

Yeah. It then starts getting to having to pay close attention to each service and ask whether you're really getting enough content from them to justify the expense. CBS All Access is a fine example. I haven't watched any of Discovery, because it is not worth it to me to pay for a single show that gets mixed reviews.

I will generally just miss a show entirely, rather than commit piracy.

Yeah. It then starts getting to having to pay close attention to each service and ask whether you're really getting enough content from them to justify the expense. CBS All Access is a fine example. I haven't watched any of Discovery, because it is not worth it to me to pay for a single show that gets mixed reviews.
Come on, did Star Trek in the past really get non-mixed reviews? It hasn't really been mainstream TV in the past, and so you'd always get reviewers that "get" this kind of show, and those that just don't. Todays, there are tons more reviewers available, but does that mean they are also more reliable for your personal taste?

Not that I think 10-15 $ or whatever it costs is a price one should be willing to pay for the off-chance a series might be good.

As long as the vast majority of streaming services focuses on the US market, I am in a lucky position. Kinda a new thing here, because usually it took forever for shows to get here. But once CBS All Access and Disney decide the want in on the world-wide market, things could get annoying again. On the other hand, these services will still have to compete with piracy. Netflix + Prime have reached a price point and level of coverage combined with convenience that makes piracy uninteresting, I think, but if you add 4 more services, this might no longer be true.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Todays, there are tons more reviewers available, but does that mean they are also more reliable for your personal taste?

It means they are more reliable when I choose what reviewers I listen to on a given genre because they have shown to match my tastes reasonably well.

You had some ideas that I just take reviewers in aggregate, with no discernment, or something?

Neutron Penguin

First Post
Im not sure the cancellations are so much an outright cancellation as much as they are a redeployment

LC and Fisto are still going to appear in the other shows (ie Daredevil) and I do wonder if they are either a) setting up for a Heroes for Hire series (8 episodes ensemble) OR b) taking the shows away from Netflix over to the Disney Streaming service

Heroes for Hire would be my preference

I think the new Disney streaming service is PG-13 so it'll be interesting to see if they do revive the shows there.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm starting to go with user scores over reviews these days. Theres some big disconects out there now, Orville being a prime example.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases