D&D 5E 5E And The D&D Play style "Won"

Zardnaar

Legend
It seems clear that by now that 5E has been a big hit by D&D standards with comparisons to D&Ds golden age or even exceeding them. Now there are a few contributing factors such as a perfect storm of social media, Amazon, VTTs etc along with 5E being a good edition. 5 years ago I though that 5E would do alright but would require rebuilding the player base after 4E. It seems that the 5E designers were not expecting 5E to do as well as it has done either.

A perhaps over looked reason why it has done that is I think it is the 1st D&D since perhaps 1989 if not 1983 to return to what made D&D popular in the 1st place- the D&D playstyle. That play style is basically a beer and pretzyls type D&D that is easy to pick up an play a'la the old Red box and 1E AD&D to a lesser extent. Its the same playstyle I suspect the majority of 3E playerbase used while 4E did not cater to that playstyle at all mostly because they listened to online forum users as a feedback source. Put simply the online stereo types about the various D&D playstyles do not apply to how people play the game. Those stereotypes broadly speaking are.

1E. Fantasy Vietnam.
2E. Narrative settings.
3E. Powergaming.
4E tactical.

For example Fantasy Vietnam in AD&D mostly exists in a handful of adventures with certain reputations the Tomb of Horrors being the prime one ( and Ruins of Undermountain and Labyrinth of Madness). The thing here is that for the most part I suspect those play styles are actually in the minority. Most of the classic adventures are fairly easy with perhaps the odd thing that can mess you up with old school energy draining undead. The Isle of Dread and post of the B and X series are fairly easy along with a good chunk of the classic 1E ones. 2E settings actually split the player base and helped bankrupt TSR. Most 3E groups I saw were playing it mostly as 2E type game with more bells and whistles, not many if any were going hard on the WBL guide lines and highly optimised PCs although I did see a few optimised PCs they were not like the online guides. 4E tanked I suspect because they fixed various issues the majority or players did not relate to because they were playing 3E in a more casual way over the assumptions forum posters made so they made a good system for the wrong crowd.

Even now people still slag off FR for example for various reasons, part of it being its always "cool" to hate whats popular. And yet is the only thing that has survived from 1E-2E-3E-4E due to its popularity. This would indicate that most players don't care to much about Darksun or Greyhawk or Eberron etc and FR killed off Greyhawk and Dragonlance for the most part in the 80's and 90's. The problem being fans of those setting and fans of there play styles often blind themselves to what everyone else is doing. For example in 3E we never went that far down the online assumptions rabbit hole but we did go far enough that how we were playing the game was a bit different to how I saw other groups playing the game which was more towards the casual end of things. In early 3.0 we were playing it like advanced 2E with more options. Then we figured out how to abuse metamagic and haste.

Looking back through my old D&D books there was a clear path towards more options for players. From large chunks of UA being added to the 2E PHB (mostly spells), through to streamlining the late 2E mechanics and turning them into feat for 3.0. 4E and Pathfinder were the ultimate evolution of those concepts, both of them have not done that well by D&D standards (great for Paizo at one point though they are a smaller company). The 3E playstlye is still somewhat popular at least online (5% 3.5 and 12% PF), but OSR is not really about fantasy Vietnam (it can be though) and 4E seems functionally dead (about 1% online).

And that is why I think rulings not rules as the basic concept has worked so well. Some players do like the extra crunch but if you scare off the GMs and fail to appeal to new players you might not have much of a game long term. It will be interesting to see how well Pathfinder 2 does. I suspect most D&D players fall in the roll a d20 (or d6/d10) for initiative lets go mentality so things like the 5 minute workday or whatever mostly don't apply to them as its more of a online thing. They don't know or care about most online arguments which really only seem to effect organised play as you only need 1 or 2 people to tell everyone else about whatever combo or OP thing they find.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The rulings v rules debate goes back to 1e and before. The game began with sand-box & mini wargamers. You think they didn't argue about rules? EGG himself facilitated on the rulings v rules debate, shifting more towards following the RAW as he felt the need to protect D&Ds IP and market share.

Whatever the addition it all seems to come down to "the rules matter" but the DM ultimately has to have the authority to make a ruling and move the game forward. To what degree it is considered appropriate for players to debate the DM and each other about the rules at the table depends upon the social contract and norms for that group of players. Outside of organized play, what is fun for your group is all that matters.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There's a different underlying philosophy between the different editons which kinda comes out in the way the core books - particularly the DMGs - are written.

In 1e and to some extent 2e the underlying basis for play seemed to be that you could do or try to do anything you could think of unless and until a rule said you could not. Open-ended.
In 3e and 4e the underlying basis seemed to be more that you could not do or try anything unless and until a rule said you could. Closed-ended.
Still not sure what 5e is though I think their intent was to go back toward open-ended.

This is also why it'll be a long time yet before any online or virtual RPG/MMORPG can come close to what a table-top game can offer: no matter how elaborate the program it is ultimately going to be closed-ended in that the program at some point simply won't be able to handle somebody's unorthodox but effective (and rules-legal) idea or action.

Add to this that in a virtual RPG you can never go off the map where in any edition of D&D you can.....

Not exactly sure how true this is, but I am one of many (as are 4 of the 6 players in my group) are players that played in the Early through mid eighties (some even earlier). We played as teenagers and early twenties while at Uni etc - now 30 years later - life has reached a point where we again have time to devote to these fun pursuits (in one case there kids also play).

Having read on various sites there seem to be a significant number of players who are in this situation - golden age players returning to the game - with 5E bringing back a similar feel to what we remember from years ago helps us enjoy it more. SO the great numbers we are now seeing are the returning golden age players with some new players joining in - and of course the stalwarts who have played through all the versions.

Though beer/soda and pretzels/crisps has changed to cheese at red wine at least at my table.

MNblockhead

Not exactly sure how true this is, but I am one of many (as are 4 of the 6 players in my group) are players that played in the Early through mid eighties (some even earlier). We played as teenagers and early twenties while at Uni etc - now 30 years later - life has reached a point where we again have time to devote to these fun pursuits (in one case there kids also play).

Having read on various sites there seem to be a significant number of players who are in this situation - golden age players returning to the game - with 5E bringing back a similar feel to what we remember from years ago helps us enjoy it more. SO the great numbers we are now seeing are the returning golden age players with some new players joining in - and of course the stalwarts who have played through all the versions.

Though beer/soda and pretzels/crisps has changed to cheese at red wine at least at my table.

Emphasis mine. I'm among the "golden-age" players who came back to the hobby with 5e. But the "great numbers we are not seeing" are mostly millennials introduced to the game by entertaining streamers on Twitch and YouTube who first get hooked by the story-telling and improv skills of the streamers, but also see how the rules work in play. I don't know that there are enough of us golden-age returning players to explain the numbers we are seeing with 5e.

jgsugden

Legend
I see the evolution of the game differetly.

Prior to the internet, which was really hitting stride with 3E, games were very different when you moved from table to table. Most people misunderstood some of the rules, but the rules they misunderstood (r did no know about) differed from table to table. The best source to understand the rules as written were monthly magazines like Dragon. It was a dffernt experience fr every group.

3E coincided with the intenet exploding. There were forums where rules were discussed. Designers like Andy Collins were on the internet answering questions - often. People shared ideas and worked together to optimize PCs.

The response in 4E was to counter the knowledge share with perfect equity in a new universal class design. Some liked it, others hated it. Regardless, it was the response to the 3E overmind.

5E was, IMHO, a better reponse to the overmind because it sough to balance the original design rather than build a new design.

Emphasis mine. I'm among the "golden-age" players who came back to the hobby with 5e. But the "great numbers we are not seeing" are mostly millennials introduced to the game by entertaining streamers on Twitch and YouTube who first get hooked by the story-telling and improv skills of the streamers, but also see how the rules work in play. I don't know that there are enough of us golden-age returning players to explain the numbers we are seeing with 5e.

Don't disagree at all, I expect the numbers are the millennials but at least some of these are kids of the 'Golden Agers' and that is there introduction - where I live there is a reasonable gaming community and a good proportion of D&D players (20%) are returning players who have not been involved for 20 or 30 years - more an observation than claiming this is a world wide fact.

gyor

Legend
It seems clear that by now that 5E has been a big hit by D&D sttandards with comparisons to D&Ds golden age or even exceeding them. Now there are a few contributing factors such as a perfect storm of social media, Amazon, VTTs etc along with 5E being a good edition. 5 years ago I though that 5E would do alright but would require rebuilding the player base after 4E. It seems that the 5E designers were not expecting 5E to do as well as it has done either.

A perhaps over looked reason why it has done that is I think it is the 1st D&D since perhaps 1989 if not 1983 to return to what made D&D popular in the 1st place- the D&D playstyle. That play style is basically a beer and pretzyls type D&D that is easy to pick up an play a'la the old Red box and 1E AD&D to a lesser extent. Its the same playstyle I suspect the majority of 3E playerbase used while 4E did not cater to that playstyle at all mostly because they listened to online forum users as a feedback source. Put simply the online stereo types about the various D&D playstyles do not apply to how peopel play the game. Those stereotypes broadly speaking are.

1E. Fantasy Vietnam.
2E. Narrative settings.
3E. Powergaming.
4E tactical.

For example Fantasy Vietnam in AD&D mostly exists in a handful of adventures with certain reputations the Tomb of Horrors being the prime one (Ruins of Undermountain and Labyrinthe of Madness). The thing here is that for the most part I suspect those play styles are actually in the minority. Most of the classic adventures are fairly easy with perhaps the odd thing that can mess you up with old school energy draining undead. The Isle of Dread and post of the B and X series are fairly easy along with a good chunk of the classic 1E ones. 2E settings actually split the player base and helped bankrupt TSR. Most 3E groups I saw were playing it mostly as 2E type game with more bells and whistles, not many if any were going hard on the WBL guidle lines and highly optimised PCs although I did see a few optimised PCs they were not like the online guides. 4E tanked I suspect because they fixed various issues the majority or players did not relate to because they were playing 3E in a more casual way over the assumptions forum posters made so they made a good system for the wrong crowd.

Even now people still slag off FR for example for various reasons, part of it being its always "cool" to hate whats popular. And yet is the only thing that has survived from 1E-2E-3E-4E due to its popularity. This would indicate that most players don't care to much about Darksun or Greyhawk or Eberron etc and FR killed off Greyhawk and Dragonlance for the most part in the 80's and 90's. The problem being fans of those setting and fans of there play styles often blind themselves to what everyone else is doping. For example in 3E we never went that far down the online assumptions rabbit hole but we did go far enough that how we were paying the game was a bit different to how I saw other groups playing the game which was more towards the casual end of things. In early 3.0 we were playing it like advanced 2E with more options. Then we figured out how to abuse metamgic and haste.

Looking back through my old D&D books there was a clear path towards more options for players. From large chunks of UA being added to the 2E PHB (mostly spells), through to streamlining the late 2E mechanics and turning them into feat for 3.0. 4E and Pathfinder were the ultimate evolution of those concepts, both of them have not done that well by D&D standards (great for Paizo at one point though they are a smaller company). The 3E playstlye is still somewhat popular at least online (5% 3.5 and 12% PF), but OSR is not really about fantasy Vietnam (it can be though) and 4E seems functionally dead (about 1% online).

And that is why I think rulings not rules as the basic concept has worked so well. Some players do like the extra crunch but if you scare off the GMs and fail to appeal to new players you might not have much of a game long term. It will be interesting to see how well Pathfinder 2 does. I suspect most D&D players fall in the roll a d20 (or d6/d10) for initiative lets go mentality so things like the 5 minute workday or whatever mostly don't apply to them as its more of a online thing. They don't know or care bout most online arguments which really only seem to effect organised play as you only need 1 or 2 people to tell everyone else about whatever combo or OP thing they find.

I'm FR fan, but it's more complex then that. A big part of FRs top dog status comes a variety of reasons, from eating some of it competing Settings like Kara Tur, Zakhara, Gloamwrought, to the profitable and long lasting novel line, to the Video Games, but also internal politics, Greyhawk was linked to Gygax, and Dragonlance was very focused on a single primary story for it's identity (of course it had other stories). That made FR the go to setting, it had so many things in it favour.

I think just because stuff like Spelljammer wasn't popular back in the day, as some other settings for example, doesn't mean that you couldn't sell it today to a younger audience. Figure it's weaknesses, tighten the writing, give it some compelling characters, and most importantly is the marketing campaign.

Yeah WotC has a plan on how it's going to market these settings differently, genre focus + using the streamers to se it to younger people. Nostilogia will set to some older fans, useful mechanics that are poachable to others, but it's the streamers that will sell these settings to younger gamers, and other twitch/YouTube fans.

I hear Eberron is doing well, although I don't remember where I heard that, but I do know Ravnica is 12# on the Amazon's best selling TRPG books, ahead of a bunch of other 5e books, and expect expecting that to go higher when more focus is upon it as it gets closer to release.

MNblockhead

I think settings like Spelljammer could do very well. A gonzo, high-fantasy style may appeal better to younger generations growing up on JRPGs, anime, and the glut of fantasy and superhero movies and TV series.

I missed out on Eberron the first time around but bought it on D&D Beyond and I have to say that I really like it. While steampunkish and a bit gonzo, it is also very well thought out and one of the few settings that seem to have given serious thought about how societies with access to magic might really develop. Not sure I would want to DM it, but I would happily be a player in this setting.

S'mon

Legend
Add to this that in a virtual RPG you can never go off the map where in any edition of D&D you can.....

If you go off the map in an RPG the GM has to improvise (or ban it).

I think it would be fun for a CRPG to for once not ban going off the map, but instead do the computer equivalent of winging it, and use procedurally generated terrain (likely geomorphs) and random encounters. Play might not be high quality, but it would be there.

Remove ads