Sell me on D&D Beyond

flametitan

Explorer
Oooo how do you do that?

I haven't checked firefox or Microsoft edge for the functionality yet, as I primarily use chrome.

On Chrome, if you go into settings, there should be a link labelled, "Manage Search Engines." Under, "Other search engines," if D&D beyond isn't there yet, you'll want to add "D&D Beyond" as the search engine name, "dnd" as the keyword, and https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=%s as the URL. If it is on the list already, then you can click the three triangle icons Chrome uses to indicate lists, select "edit," and then just replace the keyword with "dnd".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I haven't checked firefox or Microsoft edge for the functionality yet, as I primarily use chrome.

On Chrome, if you go into settings, there should be a link labelled, "Manage Search Engines." Under, "Other search engines," if D&D beyond isn't there yet, you'll want to add "D&D Beyond" as the search engine name, "dnd" as the keyword, and https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=%s as the URL. If it is on the list already, then you can click the three triangle icons Chrome uses to indicate lists, select "edit," and then just replace the keyword with "dnd".

That worked beautifully, thanks!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Did the iOS app bust with version 12 or something? Or am I missing something? Is the character builder part of this app? I can't see it. And I can no longer see the PC I've already created.
Edit: Nevermind, that isn't part of this app. I had forgot how mediocre the app version was.

Last edited:

lkj

Hero
Did the iOS app bust with version 12 or something? Or am I missing something? Is the character builder part of this app? I can't see it. And I can no longer see the PC I've already created.
Edit: Nevermind, that isn't part of this app. I had forgot how mediocre the app version was.

Yeah. The app is still in beta. Next iteration will add what they call 'listings'-- the rules, monster, spell, class etc. lookups. After that, they'll add the character sheets.

I do wish the description in the Google Play Store would mention that it's in beta. But maybe there is a policy in the store that prevents them from calling an app beta? Anyway, if you are following their forums and developer updates, you know. But if you aren't it causes no end of confusion.

AD

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
The app is essentially still in beta; character sheets will get added eventually, but it will be a while. Currently they are working on adding listings to the app.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Yeah. The app is still in beta. Next iteration will add what they call 'listings'-- the rules, monster, spell, class etc. lookups. After that, they'll add the character sheets.

I do wish the description in the Google Play Store would mention that it's in beta. But maybe there is a policy in the store that prevents them from calling an app beta? Anyway, if you are following their forums and developer updates, you know. But if you aren't it causes no end of confusion.

AD

Yeah I don't follow anything about it. Thanks for the info.

Retreater

Legend
For me, D&D Beyond adds nothing to the game. Buying modules for VTT such as Fantasy Grounds at least has the benefits of coding.
The poster who earlier mentioned players squinting at their cellphones, scrolling through pages of text, and typing on their keypads trying to find something - that's the perfect description of players using D&D Beyond. So much quicker to just use the hard copy book. I think it's overpriced and has very little functionality for the cost.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I would agree that the screen size of phones—and thus the different UI—is not particularly efficient or helpful at the table. Although I’m not sure it’s that much slower than rifling through a book looking for info. But the experience on a tablet and a laptop are quite different. I had a player use her laptop to access her character sheet, and she was quick and efficient. I love having my iPad up as I DM.

None of that’s to say you should use it or you should think it’s great stuff. If it doesn’t serve your needs at a price point that works for you, then it’s not worth it for you, and that’s ok.

5ekyu

Hero
I would agree that the screen size of phones—and thus the different UI—is not particularly efficient or helpful at the table. Although I’m not sure it’s that much slower than rifling through a book looking for info. But the experience on a tablet and a laptop are quite different. I had a player use her laptop to access her character sheet, and she was quick and efficient. I love having my iPad up as I DM.

None of that’s to say you should use it or you should think it’s great stuff. If it doesn’t serve your needs at a price point that works for you, then it’s not worth it for you, and that’s ok.
Exactly, I literally did not 5e st all until I got DDB because I cannot read the hardbooks. So to me it's a different price point entirely.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

A proper responsive app/site would be lovely, but it's more of a nice to have for me.

Remove ads