Detect/Discern Lie, Ring of Truth, and similar abilities

the Jester

Legend
I just realized that there is no detect/discern lie in 5e, which blows my mind.

Anyhow, I am running a 5e game that includes a pc who has a *ring of truth,* converted from the 1e version.

Okay, so first of all, here's the text of my conversion of the ring for reference:

the Jester's Magic Item Document said:
This ring is a mixed blessing. While wearing it, you automatically detect lies spoken in your presence. However, you are unable to lie yourself, and if you attempt to do so, you find yourself speaking literal truth instead.

If you encounter a creature under the influence of magic that renders its lies undetectable, you don't detect the lies, but are also unable to hear the creature's voice.

Okay, so the question- which would apply to a converted version of the detect/discern lie spell, as well,, and would also apply in other editions- is this: If you think you're telling the truth but you aren't, is that a lie? How does such an item or spell react to someone unknowingly telling a lie?

For one (quick) example, let's say that I was raised by a couple who claimed I was their biological child, but I was actually adopted by them. (For clarity: hereafter I refer to them as my mom and dad.) If I say that my mom gave birth to me, that is untrue, but I believe it. How does that register?

Argument "No, it's not a lie" goes- I believe it to be true and intend to be truthful, so it isn't a lie.

Argument "Yes, it is a lie" goes- It's not true, so it's a lie.

Alternatively, you could argue that even though I don't know it's a lie, it is a lie; it is a lie that was told to me and that I unknowingly passed on in claiming my mom as the one who gave birth to me.

But the nuance can get strange here. What if my mom had an affair, and I am the biological child of her and the "other man"? And what if he never knew or suspected the affair and had never been lied to about my biological parentage by my mom?

I would love to get opinions on this.

cmad1977

Hero
I’d reword the Ring to say that a person can’t ‘knowingly tell a lie’.

Also, the 2nd part: If the lies can’t be detected, but a persons voice can’t be heard when they lie then the wearer or the ring knows they’re lying anyways.

Last edited:

Lie includes the intend to deceive. Saying something that's not true but you believe it is true is not a lie.

I do the same in 5e when it comes to Persuasion vs. Deception. If you think you're telling the truth, Persuasion applies. If you intentionally tell a lie to deceive, Deception applies.

It's also much easier to handle, because there can always be situations where nobody at the table knows what the truth actually is. Like, what if someone says "God exists"? The intend to deceive, however, is always clear.

Edit: Okay "God exists" is maybe a bad example in the world of D&D where gods have been confirmed to exist. How about "Margarine is healthier than butter".

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend

There is Zone of Truth, but as a 1st-level spell it's not really powerful or fool-proof.

Okay, so the question- which would apply to a converted version of the detect/discern lie spell, as well,, and would also apply in other editions- is this: If you think you're telling the truth but you aren't, is that a lie? How does such an item or spell react to someone unknowingly telling a lie?

I would rule that spell detects lies not falsehood:

Wiktionary said:
lie (plural lies)

An intentionally false statement; an intentional falsehood.
I knew he was telling a lie by his facial expression.
A statement intended to deceive, even if literally true; a half-truth
Anything that misleads or disappoints.

A spell/item that would actually detect what is intrinsically true/false as someone speaks it in words would be fun, probably more fun than a spell that itself just told you the truth. But then, why casting it on someone when you could just cast it on yourself, and start saying all the stuff you want to know to check whether they are true or false?

MarkB

Legend
A spell/item that would actually detect what is intrinsically true/false as someone speaks it in words would be fun, probably more fun than a spell that itself just told you the truth. But then, why casting it on someone when you could just cast it on yourself, and start saying all the stuff you want to know to check whether they are true or false?
Yeah, if the spell could reveal absolute truth, you could pretty much twenty-questions your way through any mystery or puzzle you were ever presented with. It'd be a fun spell, but probably 9th-level worthy in terms of utility.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Put me down in the "Lies are intentional falsehoods" camp. If you speak what you believe to be true, the item would not discern it otherwise.

Quickleaf

Legend

Anyhow, I am running a 5e game that includes a pc who has a *ring of truth,* converted from the 1e version.

Okay, so first of all, here's the text of my conversion of the ring for reference:

For one (quick) example, let's say that I was raised by a couple who claimed I was their biological child, but I was actually adopted by them. (For clarity: hereafter I refer to them as my mom and dad.) If I say that my mom gave birth to me, that is untrue, but I believe it. How does that register?

Argument "No, it's not a lie" goes- I believe it to be true and intend to be truthful, so it isn't a lie.

Argument "Yes, it is a lie" goes- It's not true, so it's a lie.

Alternatively, you could argue that even though I don't know it's a lie, it is a lie; it is a lie that was told to me and that I unknowingly passed on in claiming my mom as the one who gave birth to me.

But the nuance can get strange here. What if my mom had an affair, and I am the biological child of her and the "other man"? And what if he never knew or suspected the affair and had never been lied to about my biological parentage by my mom?

I would love to get opinions on this.

No, it's not a lie.

One of the definitions of a lie is an intentionally false statement.

Going the route of "ring of universal objective truth detection" lies madness. Then you'd have people lining up to pose questions to you like some kind of an oracle. "My husband has always been faithful to me..." "The kingdom of Sarlonia is true to their word with the new peace treaty..." "The red dragon's treasure lies in the seaside caves outside Headowbrach village... no? Well, the red dragon's treasure lies in the caves at the foot of Mount Doom... no? Well, what I meant was that the red dragon's treasure lies in the caves beneath Castle Whiteskull... Ah hah! That's it!" It would be ridiculous.

Draegn

Explorer
I have always considered the source of the magic which powers the item. A ring of truth created by a follower of Asmodeus most likely will be more fluid in intent than one created by a follower of Pelor.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There's a difference between something being a lie or honest, and being true or false.

If you want a true Ring of Truth, it should only pick up when something is said that's wrong.
If you want a Ring of Honesty, it should only pick up when something said is a lie.

If you want a Ring of Truth and Honesty, well...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you think you're telling the truth but you aren't, is that a lie? How does such an item or spell react to someone unknowingly telling a lie?

To me there is a difference between a lie and and a falsehood. Lies have an intent to deceive.

I wouldn't have the ring ties into any "cosmic truth", just what the speaker believes is the truth. Simply for game balance reasons. Otherwise you can just have the ring-bearer spout every conspiracy theory and alternate explanation and instead hear the literal truth of what's going on come out. So in that case, an unintentional falsehood could easily be spoken.

Remove ads