Durnan's Guide to Tavern keeping (legal, but not Appendix B except for backgrounds)

gyor

Legend
https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/254715

This could be the best idea that the Adventurer's League people have ever come up with. Its AL legal except for the Bard subclass College of Revery and cleric subclass Domain of Brewery. I guess that includes monsters and the backgrounds that are AL legal.

You too can now play Sam, Carla, and Norm from Cheers! Or Quark and Genuine from Star Trek!

Trollskull Manor, where everyone knows your name and they are all glad you came.

https://youtu.be/h-mi0r0LpXo

[video=youtube_share;h-mi0r0LpXo]https://youtu.be/h-mi0r0LpXo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Kgw6O3jVimg]https://youtu.be/Kgw6O3jVimg[/video]

pukunui

Legend
I went ahead and bought this myself anyway.

It's chock-full of stuff!

The cleric Brewing domain seems OK.

Bonus Spells: These all seem thematically appropriate enough. There's only one bonus spell listed for 5th level, though. I wonder if that is an error.

Bonus Proficiencies: No surprises here.

Liquid Courage: 1/day you can make a number of drinks magical. These drinks bestow temporary hit points when drunk. Seems OK.

Channel Divinity - Intoxicating Song: This looks fun. You can make enemies intoxicated (poisoned).

Stout Constitution: Reduces poison damage in you or someone else as a reaction. You also cannot become intoxicated (poisoned?) unless you want to.

Potent Spellcasting: as per usual

Divine Brew: Additional effects for Liquid Courage: Cleansing Brew (cures conditions) and Nectar of the Gods (a pseudo-divination effect).

pukunui

Legend
The bard College of Revelry looks pretty neat too, although its features are just as wordy as the ones from Xanathar's.

Inspire Bravado: While a friend has one of your Bardic Inspiration dice, they can choose to gain a number of additional effects (temp hp, bonus to melee dmg, plus advantage on attacks against them) until they spend the die. They can also use the die to reduce damage as a reaction.

Merry Performance: 1/rest you can make a Performance check to "magically inspire cheer" in an audience. If you succeed, you then gain advantage on checks to influence members of the audience for a short time. Furthermore, those same audience members have to make a saving throw in order to do something hostile while under the effects of your performance.

Powerful Magic: You can spend a Bardic Inspiration die to impose disadvantage on saves involved in a specific list of enchantment spells. This list includes the friends cantrip, for some reason, despite it not involving a saving throw.

Lord of Revels: Enhances the calm emotions spell, which it (presumably) lets you cast even if you don't already know it. 1/day.

gyor

Legend
The bard College of Revelry looks pretty neat too, although its features are just as wordy as the ones from Xanathar's.

Inspire Bravado: While a friend has one of your Bardic Inspiration dice, they can choose to gain a number of additional effects (temp hp, bonus to melee dmg, plus advantage on attacks against them) until they spend the die. They can also use the die to reduce damage as a reaction.

Merry Performance: 1/rest you can make a Performance check to "magically inspire cheer" in an audience. If you succeed, you then gain advantage on checks to influence members of the audience for a short time. Furthermore, those same audience members have to make a saving throw in order to do something hostile while under the effects of your performance.

Powerful Magic: You can spend a Bardic Inspiration die to impose disadvantage on saves involved in a specific list of enchantment spells. This list includes the friends cantrip, for some reason, despite it not involving a saving throw.

Lord of Revels: Enhances the calm emotions spell, which it (presumably) lets you cast even if you don't already know it. 1/day.

Good to know, thank you.

How is the advise on running a Tavern?

pukunui

Legend
How is the advise on running a Tavern?
I haven't read through that bit yet, but I'll let you know what I think of it when I have.

FWIW, the new monsters are:

Alewife: a fey creature that can possess (and animate) alcoholic drinking vessels.
Brass Bartender: a gnomish construct that can serve as a bartender but watch out if you try to leave before the last call!
Buzzkill: A ghost-like undead creature created when someone dies accidentally in a brewery.
Coronach A bard-lich whose instrument is like its phylactery.
Phantatox: The undead spirit of a creature who died of alcohol-related reasons (eg. alcohol poisoning, drowning in a vat of ale, etc).

It's a great idea for a product. So much so I had been working on something very similar myself. Now it might just end up dumped as I can't complete with that.... :(

aco175

Legend
I first thought it was a book on how to run a business, like some of the other stronghold books we have seen. Something with the dangers of running a tavern and the profits. Maybe lists on types of beer and such. This may be good as well.

Remove ads