D&D 5E My (Personal) Early Evaluation of the D&D 5thEd System – Wall of Text

ElterAgo

Explorer
My (Personal) Early Evaluation of the D&D 5thEd System – Wall of Text

I’ve played D&D since the old blue and pink boxed sets. Except 4thEd. I was never able to find a group willing to give 4thEd a try. Reading the books I was not impressed. Last several years I have played 3.5 and/or PF almost exclusively. Recently, my son talked me into giving 5thEd a try.

I will certainly not claim to have exhaustively explored every nuance of the system. I’ve played Adventurer’s League from 1 to 4. Plus a couple of one shots with others at level 5 and 7. The following is my impressions so far. (Again the comparison is mostly with PF, since that is my primary reference for the last several years.)

Pros:

1.  Definitely has the feel of the original game, which is great for my sense of nostalgia (but probably doesn’t really help all that much with attracting new younger players).

2.  Is actually pretty easy to learn for a new player (PF is definitely more difficult). Might be more difficult for a new DM since so much is left up to DM discretion.

3.  Building a character is very quick and relatively straightforward. (In PF, I sometimes spend weeks coming up with a concepts design and build progression that satisfies me.)

4.  Fewer corner cases for a rules lawyer to exploit and give the DM headaches.

5.  Much is left up to the DM’s discretion in how to rule or resolve a given situation. If you have a really good DM that is creative, consistent, and good at ‘theatre of the mind’ descriptions – this is wondrous.

6.  Can (and are even encouraged) to use different types of skill for various activities based upon how you, as the player, describe what/how you are trying to do something. I like that freedom.

7.  Game moves pretty quickly. (In PF, even fairly low level fights can sometimes take quite a long time to resolve.)

8.  Combat is deadly or at least a clearly high risk option. I like that. It encourages the players to try and find other ways to resolve situations. (In the ‘default style’ of PF play, the party expects to fairly easily win most fights. This encourages the ‘murder-hobo’ approach to most problems.)

9.  Lower level opponents really are a threat. Several level 1 or 2 guardsmen can easily defeat or at least severely injure a 4th level player. (In PF, NPC’s that are a few levels below you are nearly negligible. They are unlikely to noticeably injure you and a couple rounds of rolling dice will see them eliminated.)

10.         Party can’t just ‘heal to full’ after every single fight all day long. Back-to-back combats really will quickly wear you down.

11.         Not nearly as dependent on magic items in general. (In PF, most feel you ‘must’ have a certain minimum level of magic items to function at a given level of play.)

12.         Similarly, not as dependent on the ‘standard’ magic items. (In PF, most players don’t get much in the way of the plethora of neat / cool / unique / strange magic items because, they feel they must have the best ‘big 6’ items that they can afford just to be functional.)

13.         Adventurer’s League games are pretty easy to find. If I’m traveling for work in the Detroit area and have an evening free, there is an AL game somewhere in the area almost every day of the week.

Cons:

A.  In many ways the rules are too simple. Since there is no rule for even fairly simple activities, I as the player have no real idea how high of a DC the DM will set for many

common things. For examples: Throwing a grappling hook up on to the roof and climbing the attached rope. As a real person, with only little bit of experimentation, I would have a pretty good idea of how difficult that would be for me to attempt. I have had DM’s set the DC as low as a single DC 10 check to high as 3 DC 18 checks in very nearly identical circumstances. One didn’t even require any check at all “Oh yeah you are experienced guys, you can do that no problem.”

B.  The character builds are too simple. Every sorcerer or wizard I‘ve seen so far is a blaster caster. (Maybe slightly different blast spells, but still a blaster.) Every fighter has a sword (war hammer) and shield, or two-handed sword and is planning on nearly identical feat/ability choices. Every ranger has had either a longbow or 2 shorts swords and is planning on nearly identical feat/ability choices. Boring… (In PF, I can make an effective fighter that specializes in disarming, tripping, and then tying up his opponents to take them alive. 5thEd has no rules for doing anything like this. In PF, I can make an effective caster that controls the battle field with clouds of damaging fog, pits in the ground, walls of spikes, etc… In 5thEd, I don’t see anyone even considering trying to do anything like that.)

C.  Character build ‘sub-game’ is absent in D&D 5thEd. I am lucky to have time to game once a week. Usually more like once every two weeks. In PF, I can spend a lot of the in between time building characters, thinking about new uses for spells, possible combinations of archtype, feat, race, etc… Then I can also spend time discussing those possibilities with others in person or online. I can kill lots of little bites of free time working on things for PF even when I can’t be gaming. In D&D 5th Ed, the builds are so simple and similar that none of that really applies to any great extent. Considering a sword and board warrior type? Bam. Here it is. Done. I can understand why some people like that simplicity, but for me it eliminates a large part of what attracts me to RPG’s in general.

D.  See number 5. Above “…Much is left up to the DM’s discretion in how to rule or resolve a given situation. If you have a really good DM that is creative, consistent, and good at ‘theatre of the mind’ descriptions – this is wondrous…” The converse of this is that if you do not have a DM that is creative, consistent, and good at ‘theatre of the mind’ descriptions – it can easily end up kinda lame. Some DM’s almost shut down if there is no rule, “you can’t do that.” Some DM’s are giving wildly different DC’s for nearly identical things even within the same session, just because they can’t remember last time or get bored with characters repeating actions. If the DM can’t imagine how something might be possibly accomplished and there isn’t a rule, they might just set the DC impossibly high.

E.  I dislike that my 3rd level martial focused fighter is no better at swinging his sword than the 1st level sneak focused rogue. In fact, he is arguably worse since the rogue is using 2 swords (at no penalty) and so is twice as likely to hit and accomplish something.

F.  I dislike the fact that since there are no difficulties set for almost anything (all DM discretion), I as the player have no idea if I can accomplish the individual items in the plan we are developing. Kicking in the exterior door into the manor house and the interior pantry door were both a DC 17 (It unexpectedly took us 3 tries for the big strong barbarian to bash his way into the simple pantry). Climbing a knotted rope was a DC 15 (we expected a knotted rope to be pretty easy). Climbing a simple tree was a DC 12 even though almost any 6 year can do it without falling to his death 50% of the time.

G.  Skills - I dislike the fact that it is almost impossibly difficult to ever get better at anything but my initial few skills. Yes, I can take one of my very feat choices to make it trained skill. But that is a fairly serious impact to his primary utility as a fighter, sorcerer, or whatever. In PF, my barbarian can keep throwing a few points into studying about undead creatures (even though it is not something barbarians are normally good at) and eventually get pretty decent at knowing the weaknesses of most of his undead enemies. Even your trained skills are not going to get much better. Your 17th level wizard is probably only slightly better at knowing anything about dragons than he was at 1st level.

H.  Adventurer’s League. Although I like the somewhat greater availability of A.L. over Pathfinder Society, I am not happy with the way it is run, administered, and setup.

a.  Some areas there is always a “known” AL game(s) on such day of the week at such time. But no one is taking the time to put it on Warhorn (or whatever). So I don’t know what they are running, what tier it will be, or if there will be openings at the table. Twice in the short time I’ve been trying AL, I have taken the time to drive to the shop only to turn around and drive home again. This appears to be a fairly common occurrence in many areas.

b.  I dislike that there is nothing like PFS pregens available to use if the only open table is tier 3 and I don’t have a character of that level.

c.  I dislike the $5 fee to play the game. Not only do I have to by a $60+ book, I have to pay $5 at every game session. PFS has no charge to play. Most of us buy snacks/drinks at the game shop. Sometimes we buy some figurines, maps, dice, etc… With AL’s fee, I find myself less likely to buy anything else. On average, they are getting less money from me. But maybe they are getting more on average from others. I can understand this is setup to help make the game shops more supportive of AL, but I find it annoying.

d.  I am really growing to really hate how treasure/reward is handled in AL. It is just stupid and is really impinging on my suspension of disbelief. Our groups have fought and defeated several low level enemies in plate armor, but no. There is no way you can have it before you get to tier 3. You’ve found dozens of potions of healing, but you have to spend 2/3 of the meager 75 gps you get just to buy 1 emergency healing potion that you are then afraid to use because it is such a huge portion of your wealth. Hooray! You came in first place in the city races, you won 5000 gps – but you get nothing. Certainly can’t afford ‘standard’ adventuring gear like holy water, alchemist fire, antitoxin, or even a horse. Makes no difference if you save the little girl or let her die. Makes no difference if you dispelled the danger threatening the city or simply barely survived while running away. Still the same negligible reward. Sheesh?!? (I will clearly admit that PFS has some of the same issues, but they are much worse in AL.)

Overall, for me, D&D 5thEd is a decent game. I don’t like it quite as well as PF, yet it is still pretty good and I can easily find
it enjoyable. If friends or family invite me to a game/campaign of 5th, I am more than willing to join in and I’m sure I will have a good time. However, if I am forming a new gaming group or planning to GM a campaign, it will almost certainly be PF.

PFS is way better than AL. I will finish Dragon Heist with my AL group. But I am unlikely to play any more AL stuff after that, unless a friend really wants some company. For my free time pickup games I will be choosing PFS.

jasper

Rotten DM
My reply and I do 99% adventure league.
Cons.
C. Subgame character build being missing is a feature.
D. Truth However the rule of thumb is very easy 5, easy 10, Medium 15, Hard 20, Very hard 25, Nearly impossible 30.
a. AL was change about 3 or so seasons ago. It drop the local and regional admin people. Some have stayed around. My local group uses facebook and most dms will post their games 5 days or less in advance.
b. I agree.
c. INCORRECT MOSTLY. My local game story does not charge a table fee. SO far the only fee I have seen has been at some cons.
d. A lot of gamers and dms are not like the season 8 changes. Some are BS especially the gold. The AL mods have said complain to WOTC customer Service.
PFS and AL are both great gaming groups. Which is better depends on the person, so have fun and may all your fumbles be fun

Parmandur

Book-Friend
YMMV. Many of your consideration are what I would consider pros, like the elegance of builds or improvisational nature of DC challenges. The "classic feel" seems to be a big part of what is drawing in younger players, oddly enough, in contrast to crunchy video games.

As someone who started with 3.x and played it for a long while, I could never go back after 5E.

André Soares

First Post
A. In many ways the rules are too simple. Since there is no rule for even fairly simple activities, I as the player have no real idea how high of a DC the DM will set for many

common things. For examples: Throwing a grappling hook up on to the roof and climbing the attached rope. As a real person, with only little bit of experimentation, I would have a pretty good idea of how difficult that would be for me to attempt. I have had DM’s set the DC as low as a single DC 10 check to high as 3 DC 18 checks in very nearly identical circumstances. One didn’t even require any check at all “Oh yeah you are experienced guys, you can do that no problem.”

F. I dislike the fact that since there are no difficulties set for almost anything (all DM discretion), I as the player have no idea if I can accomplish the individual items in the plan we are developing. Kicking in the exterior door into the manor house and the interior pantry door were both a DC 17 (It unexpectedly took us 3 tries for the big strong barbarian to bash his way into the simple pantry). Climbing a knotted rope was a DC 15 (we expected a knotted rope to be pretty easy). Climbing a simple tree was a DC 12 even though almost any 6 year can do it without falling to his death 50% of the time.

G. Skills - I dislike the fact that it is almost impossibly difficult to ever get better at anything but my initial few skills. Yes, I can take one of my very feat choices to make it trained skill. But that is a fairly serious impact to his primary utility as a fighter, sorcerer, or whatever. In PF, my barbarian can keep throwing a few points into studying about undead creatures (even though it is not something barbarians are normally good at) and eventually get pretty decent at knowing the weaknesses of most of his undead enemies. Even your trained skills are not going to get much better. Your 17th level wizard is probably only slightly better at knowing anything about dragons than he was at 1st level.

Well, I feel points A and F are very similar, tell me otherwise if i read it wrong, but there IS a baseline DC for activities, the book has a table that tells us that the CD is:

very easy=5
easy=10
Medium=15
Hard=20
Very hard=25
Nearly impossible=30.

As for learning new skills, they can be increased by downtime activities, I just don't know how they are done in AL.

pogre

Legend
Not here to argue against your considered opinion: However, a lot of your complaints are what I like about the 5th edition. Particularly in respect to getting rid of a lot of the subgame.

It's cool we both have games we can enjoy. I might play in a Pathfinder game, but I will never run 3.5 or PFS again.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Like any system, D&D is only as good and fun as its players and DMs. Sounds like you're not having a good experience with "pickup" DMs in your area. Don't hold that against the game!

I played all the old school red/blue box stuff, AD&D, skipped 4E, and did Pathfinder for several years before coming back to D&D. We split a large group, amicably, but the players who wanted D&D complained of the PF rules bloat, need to make "optimized" builds or feel useless, combats that took WAY too long, and insane modifier tracking. Combats were taking hours, and that's not role playing. We wanted laughter and interaction around the table, and instead we were spending all our time rolling dice, watching others roll dice, and counting modifiers instead of interacting.

We have a dedicated group, not AL, so my analysis of your Cons may be more tips for AL DMs to make a better game!

A.  In many ways the rules are too simple (DC checks).
That's the beauty of the game and how they speed up play so you have more time to enjoy the heart of an RPG: the roleplay. Some DMs may have trouble adjusting to the idea of setting a DC on the fly rather than pausing the game to look up a rule. The game gives guidance (e.g. easy = DC 10), and maybe I'll make climbing the hill a DC 12 because it rained last night (easy with a catch). Rather than write a rule for everything, a lot is left to DM common sense with guidance. Once DMs get used to this, it comes naturally. Also, unless time is of the essence and there's penalty for success, it also recommends you don't waste time on checks that the party will eventually get (sounds a little like "taking a 20," yes?)

B.  The character builds are too simple.
I'll beg to differ on this one. If you're seeing repetitive characters, that's reflective of unimaginative gamers. DMs and players should rest assured you're going to be all right playing anything you want. Seriously. There isn't a "right" build, though D&D has continued to add subtypes for increased flavor.

C.  Character build ‘sub-game’ is absent in D&D 5thEd.
There's no wrong answer on this one because everyone needs to play a game that suits their interests. I optimize in video games because I have to or else I'll die a lot. What D&D has done is filter out the junk (e.g. there's 50 fighter feats but you're always going to take Power Attack), which is very attractive to new players who might otherwise be intimidated by joining a D&D game and feeling pressured to compete with those who know how to make the "superior" character. One of my gamers came to dislike PF for this very reason. We had some gamers who mixed and matched to make superior characters, but in doing so, they minimized the contributions of the gamer who didn't optimize. It's a bad feeling.

D.  Much is left up to the DM’s discretion in how to rule or resolve a given situation....if you do not have a DM that is creative, consistent, and good at ‘theatre of the mind’ descriptions – it can easily end up kinda lame.
Yep, that's in any game. The rules won't help this. A good DM makes or breaks the game, but at the core, the DM shouldn't be looking to shut down player creativity. [sblock] In my most recent episode of Curse of Strahd, a massive roc snatched one of the characters off a bridge, knocked him to 0 hp, and took off with its meal. The players had no real way to pursue. A bad DM probably would have said "you're dead, roll up a new character." But they puzzled it out. One of the players polymorphed into a (slow) giant owl (with good eyes), followed it to a nearby nest, and I had the Roc put its meal down and tend to its scorched wings. The player stealthily moved in, did a heal on the unconscious character, and then feather falled both of them off the cliff where they drifted and bounced to the road below. Personally, had she botched the Stealth roll, I doubt I'd have done anything negative because the plan they worked out in what initially appeared an impossible situation was audacious, and they didn't end up here for bad decisions, just solid attack rolls on my part.[/sblock]

E.  I dislike that my 3rd level martial focused fighter is no better at swinging his sword than the 1st level sneak focused rogue. In fact, he is arguably worse since the rogue is using 2 swords (at no penalty) and so is twice as likely to hit and accomplish something.
Play a rogue instead? Seriously though, play long enough and you'll see the mechanics are fine and intentional. The rogue off-hand only does base die damage, many fight two-handed because they cannot use a shield, and it increases the chance they get sneak attack damage which is the only way they can maintain any usefulness in combat. The Fighter will have access to better AC, better hit points, higher damage weapons, and a LOT of Ability Score Improvement (Feats if allowed).

F.  I dislike the fact that since there are no difficulties set for almost anything (all DM discretion), I as the player have no idea if I can accomplish the individual items in the plan we are developing. Kicking in the exterior door into the manor house and the interior pantry door were both a DC 17 (It unexpectedly took us 3 tries for the big strong barbarian to bash his way into the simple pantry). Climbing a knotted rope was a DC 15 (we expected a knotted rope to be pretty easy). Climbing a simple tree was a DC 12 even though almost any 6 year can do it without falling to his death 50% of the time.
This is poor DMing, not a flaw with the game. A good DM knows you don't force checks when they're not needed. 3rd Edition (and especially 4th) relied WAY too heavily on skill checks and gawd-awful "skill challenges," making the game more like video games. Press button "A" to use this skill, button "B for that skill. If there is no skill assigned to either button, you cannot use it. If your DM is not into reasonable suggestions (e.g. I'll open that pantry door with an axe, or we've got all day, I'll get this open eventually ("take a 20" basically)), consider a new DM. Again, if your DM is being a jerk, he's not likely to be any better because you have a table that suggests it's DC 13 to open the pantry (he'll come up with a reason that doesn't apply), and if your DM is simply a novice, a table won't help because the game will stop and your DM won't learn to think on his or her own.

G.  Skills - I dislike the fact that it is almost impossibly difficult to ever get better at anything but my initial few skills.
It's one of the major adjustments when the math was fixed in 5th via bounded accuracy, and my players went through this phase. Play long enough and it makes sense, it works. The DC checks don't go up over time, so your skills don't need to, and bumps in ability scores and proficiency bonuses naturally increase your skills. Again, the game shouldn't be about a ton of fixed skill checks. It should be about having fun building an entertaining, heroic story. As a DM, I might give a knowledge answer for free if the player's background justifies it. I studied Necromancy for a bit in wizard school and I learned Chill Touch. While I'm not a master in the field, we must've learned about the basic undead.

H.  Adventurer’s League. Although I like the somewhat greater availability of A.L. over Pathfinder Society, I am not happy with the way it is run, administered, and setup.
Can't help there. That'd be up to the Gaming Store and its crop of available DMs. If they suck, your game sucks. Also, there is NO charge to play AL. I don't know who's invented that at your store, but it's not a D&D thing. As for the treasure, I don't play AL but they did revise the rules this July 2018.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
The only thing I can really add that wasn't already covered, would be that not only have I never paid for a table at my FLGS, but I've never even heard one in my area (or surrounding areas) charge money for it. I'm guessing that's a regional thing, I'm not entirely certain.

Your observations are mostly correct, and it looks like you have a good assessment of which elements work for you and which don't. I do have a couple of comments.

B.  The character builds are too simple. Every sorcerer or wizard I‘ve seen so far is a blaster caster. (Maybe slightly different blast spells, but still a blaster.) Every fighter has a sword (war hammer) and shield, or two-handed sword and is planning on nearly identical feat/ability choices. Every ranger has had either a longbow or 2 shorts swords and is planning on nearly identical feat/ability choices. Boring… (In PF, I can make an effective fighter that specializes in disarming, tripping, and then tying up his opponents to take them alive. 5thEd has no rules for doing anything like this. In PF, I can make an effective caster that controls the battle field with clouds of damaging fog, pits in the ground, walls of spikes, etc… In 5thEd, I don’t see anyone even considering trying to do anything like that.)

You can actually make that sort of fighter just by focusing on Strength and taking the Athletics skill. If you are a human or half-elf, there is a feat in Xanathar's Guide to Everything that lets you get double your proficiency bonus in a chosen skill (plus some other features). Applying that to Athletics can really get that character you are talking about. Disarm is an optional action in the DMG. Your DM will have to make a ruling on how tying someone up in combat works though, since it's an improvised action.

C.  Character build ‘sub-game’ is absent in D&D 5thEd. I am lucky to have time to game once a week. Usually more like once every two weeks. In PF, I can spend a lot of the in between time building characters, thinking about new uses for spells, possible combinations of archtype, feat, race, etc… Then I can also spend time discussing those possibilities with others in person or online. I can kill lots of little bites of free time working on things for PF even when I can’t be gaming. In D&D 5th Ed, the builds are so simple and similar that none of that really applies to any great extent. Considering a sword and board warrior type? Bam. Here it is. Done. I can understand why some people like that simplicity, but for me it eliminates a large part of what attracts me to RPG’s in general.

The lack of creative character creation is a player issue, not a game issue.

5e made direct damage spells like fireball intentionally good like they were in AD&D, so that people would want to use such classic options. I'm not sure about Pathfinder, but in 3e those spells weren't really considered all that great compared to more finesse and control sorts of spells. But there are still plenty of really great spells that aren't blasting. I'm kind of surprised that you see mostly blasters.

Same thing goes for designing characters. We never end up with boring characters that all look the same in my groups. I don't play AL.

That being said, your observation on lack of the character building mini-game is absolutely correct, and is by intention. I think the designers more or less assumed that people who were really into that were going to keep getting it by playing Pathfinder, and weren't even trying to compete in that arena. They went more for simplicity and accessibility. I know the 5e designers play other RPGs, and I'd be very surprised if they haven't played Pathfinder. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some of them currently play an occasional Pathfinder game. In other words, my impression is that they're totally cool with you playing Pathfinder for your Pathfinder needs, and would like you to consider trying 5e for when you want to experience the pros you mentioned.

Happy gaming!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm glad they got rid of the focus on build tweaking. When playing 3.x I often thought the stuff at the table on game night was just there to get you to the real game, working on your build. Different strokes and all that.

Remove ads