D&D 5E Aarakroca Carrying Capacity

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah. I like ‘grapple speed’

I'm pretty sure my players would make the counter argument, "This isn't grappling an enemy who is fighting back, this is a willing ally."

I think I also made a mistake during the session when the player said he was going to "Dash Fly" up a long tunnel and check on some allies. It was roughly half a mile in length, and even going at 80 feet per round, it would have taken him much longer to get there and back than we said, like, just seconds pretty much in game. I was distracted by all kinds other stuff going on and didn't consider that he can't fly with impunity.

jasper

Rotten DM
Nebulous once the session is over with; don't worry about minor mistakes. Tell your players about the mistake afterwards and what you will be doing to fix it. The only Major Mistake is if PC is dead because you made a bad rule call.

Nebulous

Legend
Nebulous once the session is over with; don't worry about minor mistakes. Tell your players about the mistake afterwards and what you will be doing to fix it. The only Major Mistake is if PC is dead because you made a bad rule call.

oh sure, that's what I plan to do. Posting threads like this and getting feedback really helps get my thoughts in order, so I do appreciate everyone's contributions.

Intregus

First Post
I'm pretty sure my players would make the counter argument, "This isn't grappling an enemy who is fighting back, this is a willing ally."

I think I also made a mistake during the session when the player said he was going to "Dash Fly" up a long tunnel and check on some allies. It was roughly half a mile in length, and even going at 80 feet per round, it would have taken him much longer to get there and back than we said, like, just seconds pretty much in game. I was distracted by all kinds other stuff going on and didn't consider that he can't fly with impunity.

I only allow characters who fly naturally to be able to carry anything if its 100 pounds or less, or most small creatures.

Your strength score is how strong your arms are not your wings. That's how I rule it. If make exceptions if they were enlarged or a large creature to double that (so 200 lbs)

If your playing ToA did you have a session 0 where you all talk about what kind of game this will be? ToA is supposed to be tough, and part of that is traveling through a deadly jungle and if flight makes that easier then in my opinion the player is doing themselves a disservice.

But ya. That's how my table handles natural flight. I think treating the characters as if they were grappled is a good idea too. Again if they want to make the argument that its not technically a grapple well their wings don't have a STR of 18 your arms and legs do!

cmad1977

Hero

Yeah your players will whine(because that is the nature of players ;) ). It may be a willing ally... but it’s still probably someone in the area of 200-300 lbs(gear included). No way you fly/walk at normal speed for too long.
1/2 speed or full speed with an increasing DC Con check to avoid exhaustion.

That would be my call and I wouldn’t deal with anyone arguing about it during play.

Kyvin

Explorer
I am currently playing an Aarakocra monk in a ToA campaign. The DM and I agreed that I could only carry party members who are Small. Likewise, I can only attempt to grapple/drop Small enemies. It just makes sense.

I am a long time DM and know when to “limit” my character’s flight so as not to trivialize exploration or obstacles.

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah, I'm going to have to limit it. Good point, his 18 strength is in his arms, not his wings really, and there is just too much skipping obstacles going on. I'm going to have to put my foot down and nip it.

tglassy

Adventurer
My brother, when he DMd and I had Winged Boots, sent Griffons at me when I flew around too much. Have some kind of monster be more likely to notice when he’s flying around. I’ll tell you what, that nipped my flying around all the time in. The. Bud.

There's no other way to move an ally during combat, though. So either that, shove, or it's impossible.

In fact I'd say the only difference between willing and unwilling target here is that the willing target can opt to auto-fail it's athletics/acrobatics check so that the grapple always succeeds.

As for out-of-combat, I'd probably just allow it, as I don't see it as a huge game breaker. In contrast to spells that let you fly or even just climbing, it comes with a lot of risks. Even when you can carry 270 pounds, that also includes all your equip and items, so you might actually have to drop items or equip first before that works. Those might be stolen, or when ambushed you might not have them on you during battle. Furthermore, you can only carry one ally at a time. It costs time and also effectively spreads the party. What if you brought one to the top, then fly back to fetch the next, at this time, the one at the top gets attacked? Then he has to fight alone. Very risky. If I let my players run into such a situation, they'd probably think twice before trying that again or only do it if no other option is available.

Remove ads