D&D 5E 5E's "Missed Opportunities?"

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I think that mathematically it comes out to a +5/-5. You roll two dice and take the higher roll (or lower in the case of disadvantage). IMO, this is too much of a modifier for most rolls. It's the equivalent of the proficiency bonus of a 13-16th level character.

It's not always +5/-5 on rolls. I'll let one of the math guys or gals explain if they are up for it. [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] for example.

G

Guest 6801328

The only thing I don't like about Inspiration, and the only thing in 5e I houserule, is that Inspiration should allow you to re-roll any d20 roll, not roll with Advantage. The psychological difference is big.

MarkB

Legend
The only thing I don't like about Inspiration, and the only thing in 5e I houserule, is that Inspiration should allow you to re-roll any d20 roll, not roll with Advantage. The psychological difference is big.

That's not just a psychological difference, it's a utility difference. It lets you only use it when you actually need it.

Which isn't a bad thing. Anything that makes it more effective is good.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've been running 5E on a consistent basis for several groups since it was officially released. Now that I'm basically leaving 5E, I'm looking at a few things that never quite worked for my groups and me.

1) Backgrounds. They just don't contribute enough to the character's abilities and feel tacked on.

I disagree. They feel pretty well developed to me - it's just that they are not primarily about "abilities" but are instead role playing hooks. Used that way, they function pretty well. Particularly since it's often those role playing traits which get you inspiration...

2) Inspiration. Half-baked idea that is literally never remembered. Unless you have people always fishing for bonuses in annoying ways.

I keep hearing this, and I just don't get it. We've used them for 5 years now. We don't forget them, ever. We don't fish for them (unless you call "role playing to your background traits" fishing), but they're quite handy and they come up every game. Some of our best moments of gaming in 5e revolve around inspiration - either gaining it, or more often using it.

Last edited:

André Soares

First Post
Advantage/Disavantage helps making the dice always relevant. In older editions, with broken builds and stacking bonuses, in higher level challenges the Dice was almost frivolous, as your static bonuses were enormous.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Cool. So you roll on the DMG chart and add those to published adventures? I had always assumed that adventures would have all the loot they need in them (going back to 1st edition). The published adventures I've run (which have included Phandelver, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, and Tomb of Annihilation) have all had scant treasure and have been less than rewarding (and frustrating) for players.

We don't add to them, we replace them.

And I've actually found the 1st party adventures to have too many magic items.

Well, as I think others have pointed out, all those things the OP doesn't like really isn't a problem with 5E, but rather either;
- an approach the OP prefers that fails to utilize these things well
- or a personal preference against the things not liked

It's all good, however people want to play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We don't add to them, we replace them.

And I've actually found the 1st party adventures to have too many magic items.

I'm doing the same with my Age of Worms adaptation... except for a few specific, plot-related items.

pukunui

Legend
This is how all the groups I play with / DM for use inspiration.

I’m loving the idea mentioned above to just let the players use it whenever they can apply a trait. I might try that.

Retreater

Legend
Well, as I think others have pointed out, all those things the OP doesn't like really isn't a problem with 5E, but rather either;
- an approach the OP prefers that fails to utilize these things well
- or a personal preference against the things not liked

It's all good, however people want to play.

Very true. I'm not claiming anyone who enjoys 5E is having "badwrongfun."

If anything, I'm just surprised that I've stopped enjoying it as much as I did initially.

Perhaps it's burnout with the "sameness" between editions. (Oh, here's another update of Against the Giants, Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, etc.)

Perhaps it's just looking back to the rules of previous editions and other systems with rose-tinted glasses.

Perhaps it's feeling jaded that D&D seems to not support my style of gaming anymore as more players enter the hobby with their expectations of play (for example, the Critical Role fandom and I are often at odds in what we consider good games.)

Perhaps it's that there are a few legitimate criticisms of 5e that can make it a better fit for what I enjoy.

Remove ads