D&D 5E Should D&D have a planeswalker class?

Should D&D have a planeswalker class?

• Yes

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 7.8%

Tallifer

Hero
As an official full Class, no. Sounds like a subclass or a set of subclasses; or a race; or a background: for a Planscape game.

As a DMs Guild third-party offering, why not?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Maybe. But to me it would need to be part of a large bunch of classes and subclasses all dealing with the theme, like the psionic classes/subclasses being made do. And you need to have a setting for which planeswalking is an actual thing that PCs will do starting at 1st level.

Psionics are going to be made as part of the eventual Dark Sun setting 5E document, because psionics are an intricate part of Dark Sun. Likewise, I wouldn't see a planeswalker class (and further subclasses) until we probably saw a Planescape or Spelljammer setting 5E document, since those are the only settings where actually going from plane to plane from the very beginning of your adventuring career is a part of it.

There's no point in a planeswalker class for a Forgotten Realms character for example, because that's a setting where you won't actually go to other planes until you most likely start hitting Tier 3 at 11th level. So having it in the base game is not particularly necessary.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Problem there is that Planeswalkers are a wide variety of character types. The Planewalking spark as an Epic Boon makes more sense to me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

I mean a full class, not subclass. I think it could be interesting.

I'm not familiar with planeswalkers, can you bring me up to speed?

First, what are they. Aren't they the player-avatar for M:tG? Tapping lands and casting spells?

What niche does a level 1 planeswalker do with a new party? How do they interact with the world in a way different than the others?

Same question for the other three tiers.

Remathilis

Legend

I mean a full class, not subclass. I think it could be interesting.
To do what?

What niche are you trying to fill with it? I mean, if you're taking Planescape, any and every class could fit the bill, or perhaps a few subclasses like horizon walker.

If you're talking MTG Planeswalkers, most of the newwalkers are basically mid-high level casters. Jace is an illusionist wizard, Gideon is a cleric/paladin, Nissa is a druid, Lilliana is a necromancer/warlock, and Chandra is a sorcerer or evoker wizard (Kaladesh has a pyromancer subclass for sorcerer that basically reads: "I'm Chandra"). Oldwalkers are challenge 20+ NPCs and monsters. Planeswalking could probably be handled in a feat or background.

I don't see anything a full-throated class offers over the current crop of casters. If there is something I'm missing, enlighten me.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I vote no. "Planeswalker" feels more like a title or rank to me. "There are many druids, but only a few of them are Legendary. And of those legendary druids, only Garruk Wildspeaker has ever claimed the title of Planeswalker."

Remove ads