Magic Item Chart for higher levels

Retreater

Legend
Just getting back into 4e and I've forgotten some of my system knowledge. Maybe someone can point me in the direction of a chart I remember seeing a few years ago....
I think there's a chart that shows how many magic items of each level a character should have based on that character's level. It would be something like the following...
1 item of character level - 1
1 item of character level
1 item of character level +1
And I think there are some rarity restrictions as well.
(I've scanned through all the core books and Essentials but can't seem to locate it. Maybe it's in an organized play resource?)
Thanks in advance!

MoutonRustique

Explorer
RULE: 3 uncommon items of level +1, equal level, and level -1, and gold for common items equal to level -1. After level 1, mundane gear is free, subject to GM consent.

Can't seem to find where atm, but I'm confident.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have a chart somewhere about that is a more complex Wealth by Level which Wrecan worked out and it had columns showing variation if you used things like inherent bonuses.

Although technically even the most fully implemented inherent bonuses really just removes bland magic items from the table not necessarily anything else.

darkbard

Legend
The system outlined by you and further defined by [MENTION=22362]MoutonRustique[/MENTION] is the guideline for creating characters above level 1 with level-appropriate gear.

The charts in the DMG lay out a level-by-level progression, wherein as a party, the group acquires L+4, L+3, L+2, L+1 magic items and 2(L) mundane loot (where L = value of magic item of current level, so 360 for level 1, 520 for level 2, etc.). This, of course, is then expected to be split roughly evenly, with some ablation for spending on rituals, consumables, per diem expenses, etc.

So a party progressing to L2 through adventuring should acquire L5, L4, L3, L2 magic items and 720 gp worth of extraneous mundane loot.

EDIT: The above is for a party of 5. The DMG has rules for smaller parties, and the DSCS has rules for reducing this if implementing Inherent Bonuses (essentially, removing the highest and lowest level magic item for each level; so the same party above would acquire only L4, L3 magic items plus loot).

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
As Darkbard noted, it depends on whether or not you're creating a PC at a particular level or if you've played organically to that level. Also, whether or not you're using Inherent Bonuses.

A good rule of thumb is that you should likely over the course of a tier find 3 Common Items, find 4 Uncommon ones, find 1 Rare one of your current level +1 to +4(so average of +2). You likely find enough gold such that you can either buy 2 Common items or upgrade your other items from earlier on in the tier. If you're using Inherent bonuses, divide those numbers by 2. So 1 Common Item, 2 Uncommon, and 1 Rare, and enough gold to buy a Common item or upgrade something.

People often don't play that strictly, but there's a good rule of thumb to use.

Remove ads