Conversion help - critique my stat blocks for Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave

Tormyr

Hero
Thanks heaps for that already. Sounds good then. I think i might tune down Kithguard Marran a little bit then - maybe 8HD and bring the main weapon attack in line with the ranged to a +7 (ignoring the magic weapon).

I see the proficiency in all saves adds a lot to the defensive CR calculation, but I am not quite sure how else to simulate or convert the Gal-Ralan item from 3.5 (bracers giving +1 to +5 to saving throws. This character had the +2 version originally). I like the fluff - that they are wearing enchanted bracelets to "keep the soul from slipping back into the plane of shadows" and would like to have some element carried over into the stat block.

Final question for [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]: Is there a calculator you are using for these breakdowns, or just quick math by hand based on the guidelines?

I have an Excel spreadsheet in the downloads section that I use for all my creature creation. http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1189

SatanasOz

Explorer
It isn't really CR related, but I feal like Weave Drain should be a Charisma saving throw.

What is CR related is that monster abilities that trigger a saving throw usually set the DC to an ability score modifier + Prof + 8 (in certain extreme cases double proficiency). The Shadowslain's most relevant ability seems to be Charisma, that would make the DC for Weave Drain 8 + 2 - 2 = 8, which seems more appropriate if the heroes are going to fight more than half a dozen of them down the road. You also might run into a bit of a game slowdown here. If a hero starts within 10 feet of half a dozen of them, that is a lot of saving throws they suddenly have to make at the start of their turn.

Charisma would also fit, due to the whole "force of personality" concept behind the attribute. They resist by sheer gall. Would make it tons easier for the PC in my particular game, though. The affected casters are a bard and a warlock. That is why I went for con - the attribute also linked to concentration saves. Hmm, tough one. I might go for DC 10 cha saves then. The effect is a clue to the ultimate BBEG of the adventure and should feel scary (and drive the PC to put some effort into avoiding it).

Gosh, the 3.5 Version was really brutal (no save).

I will sleep about it for a night. For now, I am drifting towards making it a DC 11 con (8+2+1) on the prime material and a DC13 (with 2x proficiency) on the Plane of Shadows - since that is where a dead magic zone is being created.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks heaps for that already. Sounds good then. I think i might tune down Kithguard Marran a little bit then - maybe 8HD and bring the main weapon attack in line with the ranged to a +7 (ignoring the magic weapon).

I see the proficiency in all saves adds a lot to the defensive CR calculation, but I am not quite sure how else to simulate or convert the Gal-Ralan item from 3.5 (bracers giving +1 to +5 to saving throws. This character had the +2 version originally). I like the fluff - that they are wearing enchanted bracelets to "keep the soul from slipping back into the plane of shadows" and would like to have some element carried over into the stat block.

Final question for [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]: Is there a calculator you are using for these breakdowns, or just quick math by hand based on the guidelines?

I've heard there are calculators out there, but I don't use them. I have lots of experience converting & DMing, and I trust myself more than any calculators. I use the DMG page 274 guidelines as a starting point, but often compare to other monsters in the game, and prefer to playtest when possible.

Like with most D&D design, one of the fundamental questions I ask myself when doing conversions is "what is similar to this new weird power/trait that already in the rules (e.g. a spell, monster trait, class feature, magic item, etc.)? what can I reasonably compare it to?"

I don't stress too much about pinning down exact CR because, well, the CR system isn't exact. If you're within the same ballpark and same tier-of-play, that's close enough.

Tormyr

Hero
Charisma would also fit, due to the whole "force of personality" concept behind the attribute. They resist by sheer gall. Would make it tons easier for the PC in my particular game, though. The affected casters are a bard and a warlock. That is why I went for con - the attribute also linked to concentration saves. Hmm, tough one. I might go for DC 10 cha saves then. The effect is a clue to the ultimate BBEG of the adventure and should feel scary (and drive the PC to put some effort into avoiding it).

Gosh, the 3.5 Version was really brutal (no save).

I will sleep about it for a night. For now, I am drifting towards making it a DC 11 con (8+2+1) on the prime material and a DC13 (with 2x proficiency) on the Plane of Shadows - since that is where a dead magic zone is being created.

There isn't anything stopping you from changing its charisma score. 3.5 and 5e undead often have drastic differences in the last 3 ability scores.

SatanasOz

Explorer
I've heard there are calculators out there, but I don't use them. I have lots of experience converting & DMing, and I trust myself more than any calculators. I use the DMG page 274 guidelines as a starting point, but often compare to other monsters in the game, and prefer to playtest when possible.

Like with most D&D design, one of the fundamental questions I ask myself when doing conversions is "what is similar to this new weird power/trait that already in the rules (e.g. a spell, monster trait, class feature, magic item, etc.)? what can I reasonably compare it to?"

I don't stress too much about pinning down exact CR because, well, the CR system isn't exact. If you're within the same ballpark and same tier-of-play, that's close enough.

Since for now, this is indended for my one game, I will not get a chance to playtest - but that means I am all the more glad for insight and experience like yours to draw upon.

There isn't anything stopping you from changing its charisma score. 3.5 and 5e undead often have drastic differences in the last 3 ability scores.

I think with that, I did my final update to the Shadowscale Lizzarfolk. Changed the save to Cha, increased Cha to 12 - final save DC11 / 13. That means in my particular group a 20% hit chance on the prime material and 30% on the plane of shadows. I will not ravage them, but I think they will have an incentive to avoid the monsters. It would be a lot more annoying to Wizards compared to Bards and Warlocks, so if anybody would use them in their game they might want to tone it down to DC8 / 10 as you suggested :)

With that, I have added one more encounter and I will start adding links to the first as they come.

SatanasOz

Explorer
Ok, here we go. I think I will use this thread at least for the blocs from chapter 3.

Encounter L7 - Great Hall

• 5x Shadowslain Lizardfolk CR 2 - see above.
  • Ketsarra Shadowscale (shadowslain half-black dragon lizardfolk cleric 4) CR 6 - Well, that was a mouth full in 3rd edition. I started from the MM half-red dragon and added Shadowslain features. In turn, I skipped the character levels in favour of more streamlined mechanics, making her a Fighter type primarily. See stat block below.
  • Kithlord Thieraven (shadar-kai sorcerer 6) CR6 - I am changing this out for a half-elven wizard for story reasons. This will be the brother of one of my PCs. I used Rath Modar from Rise of Tiamat as a baseline, changed out spells and made him a half-elf. See stat block below.
ketsarra.JPG
mr_h.JPG

SatanasOz

Explorer
OK, I have completed my take on the Monster Conversion for Chapter 3 - edited the first post and made it all a bit neater, I hope.

Is there any interest in the of the Adventure and a more in depth breakdown of the 3.5 to 5E conversion of the whole thing (Loot, DCs?)? The write up is a bit of work, so I it would be intersting to see if there are any takers ...

Any further comments, advice and critique on the stat block is always appreciated, obviously.

Remove ads