How useful is the Dodge action?

I think as DM you have quite some control over this.

Dodge is useful when players know who is going to get attacked.

So what if PC A, who is the tank, shouts out a provocation and then uses the Dodge action? If you as DM would make all the monsters attack PC A, then it's very useful and players will make more use of it. If you instead make your monsters attack all PCs except PC A because he took the Dodge action and it would be strategically better to attack the others, then your players will stop using Dodge except for very rare occassions where PC A would be at risk of immediate death if hit.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So let's have a discussion about the dodge action. How useful do you think it is? Do you think most players undervalue it? I do.

The dodge action typically causes one of 2 outcomes. It can greatly reduces the damage the dodging PC takes from attacks. It can cause damage to be spread out to other party members.

Why can these be better outcomes as opposed to just trying to kill enemies faster? Let's first talk about the notion of team success. I consider team success to be when no party member dies. If someone died the team ultimately failed even though the game goes on.

So with the mindset of team success it's fine for the team to take a bit more total damage as long as that damage is distributed more evenly over the whole team. More evenly distributed damage on the PC team tends to lead to fewer deaths even when higher amounts of total damage are dealt with.

Assuming dodge's worst case is spreading damage around while also causing the party to take more damage as opposed to preventing damage, then let's analyze. As long as the extra damage it forces upon the party is being spread around between more and more PC's then dodging is still useful in a single fight context as long as the extra damage it places upon the party doesn't reach a level where all the party members all start being at significant risk of death.

The party taking more damage can sometimes place a greater drain on healing resources, except 5e is set up so that the group is typically more capable of restoring 8 hp on 5 characters than 25 on a single one. (Typically more efficienct group healing spells and hit dice for every PC). I don't forsee healing resources being an issue in this sense.

My conclusion is that PC's should make use of the dodge action just to spread damage around as this improves the chances for the teams success while not typically causing any additional resource drain due to enemies staying alive longer.
I have encountered in play the following uses of Dodge -

A. the caster who has a SoS holding down key or multiple creatures, or a clutch buff on their GWM Barbarian or whatever, backs off and dodges

B. the character or foe that cannot both close and attack this turn, moves their Speed forward and dodges

C. the dog-piled character that is tar-pitting multiple foes while ranged characters plink them

D. the character that would die on one more hit

E. the character about to be the target of a Disintegrate (this one was, as it happens, unwitting)

F. the character or foe whose attacks back would be, for one reason or another such as high target AC or resistance, of low or no efficacy

G. the character or foe who wants to Disengage, but can't get completely away in one move

H. the character such as a Defense style Eldritch Knight, or a Bladesinger, who can degrade the efficiency of incoming attacks so profoundly that their side gains a tremendous advantage (especially where they can tarpit via PAM/Sentinel or Booming Blade).

So Dodge is very valuable just as a way to be hit less when positioning or circumstance makes that a good idea, and more generally there are situations where the imposed degradation of foe efficiency outweighs an action worth of the dodger's attacks.

Against that, foes aren't obliged to attack the dodger, so players need to think about who will be the next obvious target and ensure that it is a less desirable target - such as a raging totem barbarian. Additionally, foes might hit the dodger with something that ignores dodge, like a spell with a Wisdom save. There's little point the heavily armored sword-and-board defense style fighter dodging, if that will transfer the attack to the lower AC cleric who is maintaining a Bless on the party.

clearstream

(He, Him)

So what if PC A, who is the tank, shouts out a provocation and then uses the Dodge action? If you as DM would make all the monsters attack PC A, then it's very useful and players will make more use of it. If you instead make your monsters attack all PCs except PC A because he took the Dodge action and it would be strategically better to attack the others, then your players will stop using Dodge except for very rare occasions where PC A would be at risk of immediate death if hit.
It can get a bit problematic, especially around feats like Sentinel. One approach is to let the dice decide. For example, in the case where a character wants to implicitly shape the behaviour of hostile creatures, I might rule that they need to make a Charisma (Deception) check, against those creatures' passive Wisdom (Insight) scores. Likely with disadvantage as I assume that creatures experienced in battle, whose lives depend on it, and that are hostile to characters, will be unreceptive to attempts to change their behaviour.

Of course, failure in such a Contest means that the situation stays as it was, putting the problem back onto me to decide who a foe should attack. A heuristic that has emerged for me is something like -

1. Each side wants to remove the gravest threats from combat first
2. Experienced foes know that Barbarian ragers, and heavily armored fighters, are hard to take down, especially when they are dodging
3. Any foe can guess that the arcanist in a dress is easier to hit than the Eldritch Knight
4. Foes aren't psychic: they don't automatically know a character's abilities, but they do have eyes...
5. Experienced foes have heard of and even encountered things like Bladesong, Shield spell, rager resistance, the stance of a Sentinel...
6. Creatures in a world with spells, knows what it entails when a caster is concentrating, unless there is something stopping that like the spell was shaped by Sorcerer metamagic

The priority targets are usually the casters. They're often easiest to hit, and almost always pose grave danger. Occasionally it goes wrong, and foes end up dog-piling the fighter. I put weight on a foe's experience, and assume the world is violent enough that any creatures who survived at all, did so because they are wily.

Sometimes I roll a die to decide. Other times, a foe faced with a dancing opponent and no good target, will just retreat. One DM we had would have them shut doors behind them in the dungeon: that was confounding.

Does this make dodge bad? I don't think so: I firmly disagree, based on my experience in play, with any humphing and saying it is pointless dodging because the DM will just have the foe attack someone else. The point of dodging is to shape the fight. In turn one, a dodge is very often a good idea, if one cannot close in one move. A caster with a clutch buff darned well should be dodging.

I think if the huge armored tank is dodging, then they should expect creatures not to attack them. That does not stop dodge being useful, just because the DM chose to never have foes break themselves on the bastion of the dodging Eldritch Knight. I guess I am saying that consistency - even consistency in refusing to attack the dodging tank - is information players can use to shape the fight.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Repeated from the thread this thread originated with...
An efficiency advantage can be gained [from Dodge], however.

Say some opponents expect to deal 10 damage a turn, to a party HP pool of 100. While the party deals 10 damage a turn, to those opponent's HP pool of 100. Initiative will decide the outcome in this case, in the tenth turn.

If through one member dodging, the party reduces their damage by 3, while reducing their opponent's damage by 4? Those opponents will now take 17 turns to deplete the party HP pool. The party will take 15 turns to deplete their opponent's pool.

The numbers above are not representative, but the principle is: an efficiency gain can be achieved by dodging, that leads to a more likely victory. Additionally, any healing benefits from the same sort of efficiency, thereby freeing up resources for other things.

Some analysts, in ignoring defences, fail to appreciate the idea of efficiency, but that could be down to differences in how the game is run at their table. Key sensitivities are combat length and adventuring day: if a group's days are one encounter long, and their encounters are usually shorter than five rounds, all-out attack may be better.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Repeated from the thread this thread originated with...

I agree with this and would add that more importantly, the point that I keep on making that the dodge action can be less efficient in terms of total party hp lost in a fight and still be a better strategy as it causes the damage to be spread around in a less deadly way.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

So what if PC A, who is the tank, shouts out a provocation and then uses the Dodge action? If you as DM would make all the monsters attack PC A, then it's very useful and players will make more use of it. If you instead make your monsters attack all PCs except PC A because he took the Dodge action and it would be strategically better to attack the others, then your players will stop using Dodge except for very rare occassions where PC A would be at risk of immediate death if hit.

In my opening post I talked about the worst case with dodge where the enemies don’t target the dodging pc. The conclusion was that dodge can still be better in such situations so that damage is spread around on the team more evenly even though a greater amount of total damage will be taken by the team.

It can get a bit problematic, especially around feats like Sentinel. One approach is to let the dice decide. For example, in the case where a character wants to implicitly shape the behaviour of hostile creatures, I might rule that they need to make a Charisma (Deception) check, against those creatures' passive Wisdom (Insight) scores. Likely with disadvantage as I assume that creatures experienced in battle, whose lives depend on it, and that are hostile to characters, will be unreceptive to attempts to change their behaviour.

Of course, failure in such a Contest means that the situation stays as it was, putting the problem back onto me to decide who a foe should attack. A heuristic that has emerged for me is something like -

1. Each side wants to remove the gravest threats from combat first
2. Experienced foes know that Barbarian ragers, and heavily armored fighters, are hard to take down, especially when they are dodging
3. Any foe can guess that the arcanist in a dress is easier to hit than the Eldritch Knight
4. Foes aren't psychic: they don't automatically know a character's abilities, but they do have eyes...
5. Experienced foes have heard of and even encountered things like Bladesong, Shield spell, rager resistance, the stance of a Sentinel...
6. Creatures in a world with spells, knows what it entails when a caster is concentrating, unless there is something stopping that like the spell was shaped by Sorcerer metamagic

The priority targets are usually the casters. They're often easiest to hit, and almost always pose grave danger. Occasionally it goes wrong, and foes end up dog-piling the fighter. I put weight on a foe's experience, and assume the world is violent enough that any creatures who survived at all, did so because they are wily.

Sometimes I roll a die to decide. Other times, a foe faced with a dancing opponent and no good target, will just retreat. One DM we had would have them shut doors behind them in the dungeon: that was confounding.

Does this make dodge bad? I don't think so: I firmly disagree, based on my experience in play, with any humphing and saying it is pointless dodging because the DM will just have the foe attack someone else. The point of dodging is to shape the fight. In turn one, a dodge is very often a good idea, if one cannot close in one move. A caster with a clutch buff darned well should be dodging.

I think if the huge armored tank is dodging, then they should expect creatures not to attack them. That does not stop dodge being useful, just because the DM chose to never have foes break themselves on the bastion of the dodging Eldritch Knight. I guess I am saying that consistency - even consistency in refusing to attack the dodging tank - is information players can use to shape the fight.

I agree with this. It can be very frustrating when you cast sanctuary on yourself and the dm makes the ankheg attack someone else because ‘you have sanctuary and it can’t hit you’.

I don’t think DMs should do that kind of thing and make PC actions irrelevant UNLESS the opposition has some kind of in-game knowledge to realize they are at a disadvantage. If the cleric casts sanctuary, does the opponent have enough arcane knowledge to know what spell they cast? If the fighter goes full defence, does the zombie realize it?

My first mistake playing a higher level paladin was casting sanctuary on myself. Opponents with multiple attacks would waste their first attack, failing their save, then move on to an easier target. I learned to cast it on allies to make myself the most logical target.

Same goes with the dodge action.

That said it’s not really worth doing if your dm is going to avoid attacking you and, instead, attack the ones you are trying to protect....unless you are really wounded...then playing your DM to not attack you is strategic.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer

There's a ton of middle ground between 'treat a free action speech like an AOE taunt in an MMO' and 'completely ignore the guy in front of you'. Players should be doing more than just hoping monsters are really sensitive about insults to channel enemy attacks - using choke points, distance, and positioning makes it harder for the enemy to walk over and attack the rear guys. Add in the use of abilities like Sentinel for the tank to hinder movement, and blocking spells like Wall of X or Web, cantrips like Campfire or Minor Illusion, and mundane items like caltrops or ball bearings, and suddenly there's more than 'do I let free action speech control their decisions' to make hitting the rear line a questionable decisions. And note that these are all things in the PHB that can be used from level one, they're not eostric rules from some random third party supplement or 'my level 20 build solves that problem'.

On the flip side, monsters have options other than 'attack with disadvantage' 'hit the rear line' or 'leave'. An often overlooked option is using shove attacks to knock the dancing opponent prone, which both removes disadvantage on their attacks and gives him disadvantage on AOOs. It's also realistic and not just a weird gamey option; having your trained dogs pull the tough guy or prey to the ground is something that police and aristocratic hunters do IRL, and watching a fighter get overwhelmed, knocked to the ground, and swarmed by a horde of weaker enemies is a pretty cinematic event. And while it does make the 'charge up and dodge' option less effective, it also makes the whole combat more engaging. Again, these are all easily used parts of the basic game, they're not from oddball supplements and aren't obscenely complicated rules no one wants to touch like 3e grappling.

These sorts of tactical options are the reason I like playing with map and miniatures, and one of the big draws away from computer RPGs to pen and paper RPGs for me. I feel like a lot of discussions about this kind of situation overlook that we're playing a tabletop RPG and not an MMO, and end up with the false choice of 'well either I duplicate an MMO taunt ability or we just trade attack rolls'. Going back to the main topic, I think that generally if players are engaging with the whole environment and using a variety of options, use of specific abilities like dodge become much more common.

Last edited:

Remove ads