Use True Polymorph to re-shape stats of PC?

vlysses

Explorer
Hi - lots of threads on True Polymorph, but none dealing with this specific question:

The role and abilities of my PC (Moon Druid) have changed at higher levels, and it's not something I anticipated when creating the Character on level 7.

Essentially, at higher levels, I find CON has become much less important (turns out HP matter little for a high level moon druid, and maintaining concentration is also less of an issue for a back-of-the-party-caster), while I find CHA is becoming more and more important in dealing with questions of epic proportions and negotiating with high-level NPCs in a level 15 plus campaign.

Increasingly, I have become the spokesperson/thinker of the group that consists of a fighter, a barbarian and a rogue... So in battle I'm taking the role of the typical caster anyway, falling back and not dealing damage, with wild shape used mostly to scout, sneak, etc, rather than for frontline meat shield.

So I have been thinking how to best achieve a re-adjustement of stats away from CON and in favour of CHA. I know my ideas might sound sacrilegious to some, but it is indeed something that I did not foresee at lower levels, and the DM is OK with it in principle (in some PC games there are also options to re-stat at higher levels, to avoid frustration and need to start from scratch). But he is a big fan of game mechanics, and RAW, and so the goal is to make any such transformation "in-game" coherent.

So what does the community think about using True Polymorph (with permanency after 1 hour) to change game statistics of a PC? And make it permanent by having the caster concentrate for one hour.

Bonus question: given we are talking about a Moon druid, who is a classed as a shapechanger (and the spell states that shapechangers are immune against the spell), can he be affected, if he is a willing recipient of the spell?

Is there an argument that given that true polymorph is a level 9 spell, that the above should be in the remit of the spell, even if it's not stated explicitly? After all, it's the same level as Wish, which would make such a change also possible?

Any views appreciated. Thx

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That could be easily abused if the player is allowed to change stats to whatever they want. Even wish doesn't allow that unlless the DM is very lenient, and even then there are drawbacks inherent to that spell.

Jediking

Explorer
Your group has obviously played together, built up trust, and run a successful game. You and your DM seem open and on the same page.

Using this as a one-time event to further everyone's enjoyment should be fine, and can not be easily abused if it is limited solely to this one event. Make it special and go on a side quest if needed.

But some mechanics to back it up:
"Shapechanger" may refer to creatures of that type, not to a Druid Wild Shape feature. Werewolves/bears/rats specifically have this description, while your druid will be a humanoid.

You can choose one creature - per the spellcasting rules, this can include yourself.

The sticking point for the spell is:
Creature into Creature: If you turn a creature into another kind of creature, the new form can be any kind you choose whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or its level, if the target doesn't have a Challenge rating). The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the new form. It retains its Alignment and personality.

so even if you handwave everything else and just say you are turning yourself into yourself - mental ability scores (including Cha) can't change.

RAW: no, you can't do it.
RAI: no, you can't do it.
You and your DM and your party: you won't break anything. go for it, but don't let yourself or others do it again.

Option B: go searching for a magic robe that looks fancy (+Cha) but makes you ill (-Con)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Kill yourself and then reincarnate yourself as a half-elf (the DM can choose the form instead of rolling), taking Persuasion as one of your racial skills.

Oh, wait... hmm. Back to the drawing board!

jgsugden

Legend
So, your PC faces challenges for which they are not ideally prepared? Awesome. Sounds like a great role playing opportunty for me. The uncharismatic leader is a great story idea.

Keravath

Explorer
But some mechanics to back it up:
"Shapechanger" may refer to creatures of that type, not to a Druid Wild Shape feature. Werewolves/bears/rats specifically have this description, while your druid will be a humanoid.

You can choose one creature - per the spellcasting rules, this can include yourself.

The sticking point for the spell is:
Creature into Creature: If you turn a creature into another kind of creature, the new form can be any kind you choose whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or its level, if the target doesn't have a Challenge rating). The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the new form. It retains its Alignment and personality.

so even if you handwave everything else and just say you are turning yourself into yourself - mental ability scores (including Cha) can't change.

RAW: no, you can't do it.
RAI: no, you can't do it.
You and your DM and your party: you won't break anything. go for it, but don't let yourself or others do it again.

Option B: go searching for a magic robe that looks fancy (+Cha) but makes you ill (-Con)

However, if you find an NPC or even PC with more desirable stats, you can true polymorph yourself into that creature as long as their levels are equal to or less than yours. This would give you their stats but your alignment and personality (and presumably memories etc).

This would depend on whether "creature" is treated as a species as a whole or as individual members of the species. If you true polymorph into another humanoid ... does it have to be the same one as you currently are? What if you find a yuan-ti pureblood or tiefling with high wisdom and charisma that would go well with the new role you want to take on as a moon druid ... can you true polymorph into these individual examples? RAW it would seem to me that this would be allowed.

vlysses

Explorer
[MENTION=6803126]Jediking[/MENTION]: thank you for the thoughtful answer:

- long time playing together; yes, 35 years!
- one off event; yes, definitely not for cheese
- side quest; yes

As for the mechanics, thank you, I thought that much also, it's not made for this purpose specifically. But short of a magic item that can achieve similar results (and is potentially open to being abused), this spell is the most appropriate to solving the issue, even if raw or rai do not cover the specific question...

Now up to the DM ;)

vlysses

Explorer
The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the new form. It retains its Alignment and personality.

[MENTION=6803126]Jediking[/MENTION]: Actually, don't quite follow you here: you are saying all ability scores are replaced, that WOULD include CHA...

So mechanically, the idea would be to turn me into another version of me, but with more cha and less con... Or does that version need to *already exist*, in order to be polymorphed into? I guess that's the sticking point, isn't it?

Satyrn

First Post
But short of a magic item that can achieve similar results (and is potentially open to being abused)
The possibility of abuse with this would be eliminated if the item was a one use thing, like a potion, and you just never find a second one again. I'd probably go this way myself, introducing a potion that simply swapped around your Charisma and Constitution scores (or whatever combo my player was questing for).

And I'd even consider this RAW and RAI because Homebrewing new magic items is fully expected.

Remove ads