Do you believe we are alone in the universe?

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about...

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about FTL. :)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
... at the same time nothing can move faster then light.

While C does seem a "hard limit" due to relativity, causality, it is not 100% sure that nothing could move at C+, eg the math of the Alcubierre Warp, does appear to work with the negative mass of the article above, as well as wormholes posited by Thorne and Ellis (and Einstein and Rosen) can be created using the same principles, except that wormholes do not violate causality, because the +C movement is non-local. Nevertheless, we know less than 5% of how the universe works, well within the margin of error. With the sad truth being that we will never know because we will have brought on another biological collapse like "The Great Dying" or Permian-Triassic Extinction Event that killed 90% of life on Earth in a very short time, and will drag us under too with it. We got close, that's cool, I guess. Hope dies last.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do find it ironic that there is a claim that we can not travel faster then light when we also do not understand why there is so much gravity around to hold everything together and why there is so much energy around that it is expanding space instead of that same gravity crunching it.

So if gravity can pull faster then light and space can expand faster then light but at the same time nothing can move faster then light.

If you want to point out the flaws in physics, you need to show where the equations are wrong.

I mean, yeah, sure go up to a particle physicist and tell them how “ironic” you find their “claims”. But be prepared to explain their “claims” (read: their life’s work) first.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
You are confusing media sound bytes and analogies with physics and wondering why it doesn’t work in your head.

Physicists use equations and stuff. If you want to point out the flaws in physics, you need to show where the equations are wrong. Not where you heard some “ironic claim” about something.

I mean, yeah, sure go up to a particle physicist and tell them how “ironic” you find their “claims”. But be prepared to explain their “claims” (read: their life’s work) first.

But that is not true though. What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy? Do you have a particle physicist prepared to put their "lifes work" up as a scientific Theory.

No, I think I will stick to what real particle physicists say which is, forgive my paraphrasing, that they dont know.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But that is not true though. What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy? Do you have a particle physicist prepared to put their "lifes work" up as a scientific Theory.

No, I think I will stick to what real particle physicists say which is, forgive my paraphrasing, that they dont know.

Why is this suddenly only about dark energy? We were talking about the speed of light a minute ago .

So ignoring the random subject change, real physicists in this thread haven’t just thrown their hands up and said “I don’t know”. Pretty much the opposite.

And yes, many physicists have put their life’s work up as scientific theory. That’s how it works. What a peculiar thing to say! :)

This thread is getting a bit Flat-Earthy! People telling physicists they understand relativity better than the physicists do.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll let the GPS guys they can stop with the relativistic corrects, yeah?

The gravitational effect on GPS systems (from the ground being deeper in the gravity well than the satellite is about 7x greater than the effect from the satellite's speed. And the impact is on the order of a clock losing 45 microseconds per day. The issue is not that the effect is large, but that in order to operate a GPS, the level of precision is high.

So, yes, it gives us GPS systems. Hooray. Last time I checked, the fact that Google Maps works on my phone did not make everything else I knew wrong, which is what I was reacting to. The statement was simply hyperbole. This would go easier if you just accepted that and moved on.

Then there's refraction across different media, theory directly derived from relativity concepts. Or that transistor width is constrained by quantim tunneling effects, which are also based in relativity and not Newtonian physics.

Nether refraction across different media nor quantum tunneling effects have anything with to do with relativity. Sorry. You're just factually inaccurate there.

Now, quantum mechanics was originally informed by the Photoelectric Effect, given mathematical description by Einstein in 1905, for which he got the Nobel Prize. But, that paper contains no discussion of relativity at all.

This is a subtle misrepresentation. Firstly, I'm discussing theory and models, not observations.

You do realize the entire point is to find models and theories that accurately describe reality, right?

Theory and models that do not match observations are discarded. This is the *CENTRAL POINT* of the scientific method - you come up with a hypothesis, and you observe reality to see if it matches the hypothesis. If your hypothesis survives enough encounters with reality, we start calling it a theory. If your model doesn't match reality, we toss it out as a bad idea, and try something else.

Secondly, you slyly elide the fact that observations are by no means comprehensive.

There is nothing "sly" about it, nor is it eliding. I have mentioned it several times now, and quite openly and directly. If you are trying to make it sound like there's something underhanded or indirect in my writing, well, sorry. You're just wrong.

Just like Newton observed falling apples (apocryphally) but could not detect relativistic effects on falling apples doesn't mean that this missed bit didn't lead to nuclear bombs.

Um... that's a bit ahistorical.

Marie and Pierre Curie observed radiation in 1898. Frederick Soddy and Ernest Rutherford first observed nuclear transformation in 1901 - years before Einstein's first paper on relativity. It is this observation, and not E=mc^2, that was the basis for the concept of nuclear weapons.

The characteristic of believing you're at the end of history, scientific or otherwise, is evergreen. Ironically.

You know, I am rather tired of this.

I ALREADY SAID that the possibility of FTL was not eliminated. Pages ago. In my very first discussion of it, I believe, I allowed that we cannot rule out the possibility, and a few times since.

Yet you keep speaking as if I have said otherwise.

Strawman. I am done with it. Don't continue holding it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The gravitational effect on GPS systems (from the ground being deeper in the gravity well than the satellite is about 7x greater than the effect from the satellite's speed. And the impact is on the order of a clock losing 45 microseconds per day. The issue is not that the effect is large, but that in order to operate a GPS, the level of precision is high.

So, yes, it gives us GPS systems. Hooray. Last time I checked, the fact that Google Maps works on my phone did not make everything else I knew wrong, which is what I was reacting to. The statement was simply hyperbole. This would go easier if you just accepted that and moved on.
Right. You were wrong, but I was supposed to understand that you meant it hyperbolically while you treat me as if I don't understand anything at all. Cool, I'll accept your apology.

Nether refraction across different media nor quantum tunneling effects have anything with to do with relativity. Sorry. You're just factually inaccurate there.
It relies on the fixed speed of C in a medium, which is a core part of the theory of relativity.

Now, quantum mechanics was originally informed by the Photoelectric Effect, given mathematical description by Einstein in 1905, for which he got the Nobel Prize. But, that paper contains no discussion of relativity at all.
You're saying that the photoelectric effect is possible without first accepting relativity, or is this another bit of hiding the pea?

You do realize the entire point is to find models and theories that accurately describe reality, right?

Theory and models that do not match observations are discarded. This is the *CENTRAL POINT* of the scientific method - you come up with a hypothesis, and you observe reality to see if it matches the hypothesis. If your hypothesis survives enough encounters with reality, we start calling it a theory. If your model doesn't match reality, we toss it out as a bad idea, and try something else.
Yes. However, if you lecture me on new theory having to explain previous observations, then it's fair to point out that I'm talking about the theories being incomplete, not that observations change, which is what you were telling me. Please, let's not further insult everyone's intelligence, here.

There is nothing "sly" about it, nor is it eliding. I have mentioned it several times now, and quite openly and directly. If you are trying to make it sound like there's something underhanded or indirect in my writing, well, sorry. You're just wrong.
Really? Then what was the point you were making?

Um... that's a bit ahistorical.

Marie and Pierre Curie observed radiation in 1898. Frederick Soddy and Ernest Rutherford first observed nuclear transformation in 1901 - years before Einstein's first paper on relativity. It is this observation, and not E=mc^2, that was the basis for the concept of nuclear weapons.
Einstein's theories were critical to understanding those observations to the point of actualizing a nuclear bomb. You like to point out half of something as if the rest doesn't exist.

You know, I am rather tired of this.

I ALREADY SAID that the possibility of FTL was not eliminated. Pages ago. In my very first discussion of it, I believe, I allowed that we cannot rule out the possibility, and a few times since.

Yet you keep speaking as if I have said otherwise.

Strawman. I am done with it. Don't continue holding it up.

You first?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jeez, guys, what’s with all the hostility? It’s nearly Christmas! It’s a thread about aliens!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads