Rate the Star Wars Movies

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Who do you think the Star Wars movies are for, apart from kids?
The success of the films owes as much to toy sales as the box office.

Who are the movies for? Um... everyone? And even if the company owning the IP profits from the toy deals, that doesn't necessarily make the movies suitable for all 6 year olds. There's usually quite a bit of violence and that's got to be judged on a case-by-case basis with the personality of the kid. I started my kids on the movies early, but I did so on the small screen in my home where the environment and exposure was more controlled and if things weren't going well, we could stop for a while.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was 5 or 6 when I saw RoTJ and Jabba scared the crap outta me.

Still better than seeing Aliens at the age of 8 or so. Didn't finish that movie.

Who are the movies for? Um... everyone? And even if the company owning the IP profits from the toy deals, that doesn't necessarily make the movies suitable for all 6 year olds. There's usually quite a bit of violence and that's got to be judged on a case-by-case basis with the personality of the kid. I started my kids on the movies early, but I did so on the small screen in my home where the environment and exposure was more controlled and if things weren't going well, we could stop for a while.
Sure.
But stuff like Ewoks and Jar Jar and showing Anakin as an 8yo boy is very much trying to sell the movies to younger kids. As was toning down the violence of the prequels by having the bad guys be robots and CGI bug men.
And a lot of these new fans might put movies like Revenge of the Sith atop the list, having more nostalgia and affection for it than A New Hope.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Prequels had a better plot than most give credit. It was the execution.

The prequels maybe had too much plot.
- Rise of the Emperor (with similarities to Julius Caesar and Octavian / Augustus)
- Republic Civil War
- Sidious is running both sides of the civil war. When does he sleep?
- Anakin grows from cute kid into … Darth Vader?! … as a young man
- Anakin has to have a romance with somebody so Luke and Leia can be born.
- Destruction of the Jedi; Yoda and Obi-Wan flee to exile and successfully hide

Sidious / Caesar could be a movie without anybody else involved. The backstory for Ep 4-5-6 could be a movie with no other factors involved. Romances are a movie all by themselves, year in and year out. Ditto war movies. I've piled up more than a trilogy already.

Zardnaar

Legend
The prequels maybe had too much plot.
- Rise of the Emperor (with similarities to Julius Caesar and Octavian / Augustus)
- Republic Civil War
- Sidious is running both sides of the civil war. When does he sleep?
- Anakin grows from cute kid into … Darth Vader?! … as a young man
- Anakin has to have a romance with somebody so Luke and Leia can be born.
- Destruction of the Jedi; Yoda and Obi-Wan flee to exile and successfully hide

Sidious / Caesar could be a movie without anybody else involved. The backstory for Ep 4-5-6 could be a movie with no other factors involved. Romances are a movie all by themselves, year in and year out. Ditto war movies. I've piled up more than a trilogy already.

Always thought AoTC clones should have been episode I (didn't need to see Anakin as a kid), and the rest is easy.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Sure.
But stuff like Ewoks and Jar Jar and showing Anakin as an 8yo boy is very much trying to sell the movies to younger kids. As was toning down the violence of the prequels by having the bad guys be robots and CGI bug men.
And a lot of these new fans might put movies like Revenge of the Sith atop the list, having more nostalgia and affection for it than A New Hope.

You are basically describing me. n_n

In a way I think that is the worst problem of the new trilogy, it doesn't seem to pander enough to children.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Even the kids who liked the prequels don't rank them as classics in the way we did the originals. When they're our age, they won't be reminiscing about the Star Wars prequels with rose-covered glasses in the way we do the OT. They'll be reminiscing about something, but it won't be the Star Wars prequels. Those three films never had that cultural zeitgeist.

Even the kids who liked the prequels don't rank them as classics in the way we did the originals. When they're our age, they won't be reminiscing about the Star Wars prequels with rose-covered glasses in the way we do the OT. They'll be reminiscing about something, but it won't be the Star Wars prequels. Those three films never had that cultural zeitgeist.

Fans of the prequels very much do exist:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/features/star-wars-youre-all-crazy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/4qhrq7/i_like_the_prequels_more_than_the_original/
https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/18/why-...are-much-better-than-everyone-thinks-6605636/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/actually-the-star-wars-prequels-dont-suck
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/12/02/star-wars-prequel-trilogy-defense/76628934/
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-prequel-trilogy-good-popular-underrated/

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

I'm a child of the nineties. I look fondly towards stuff like Friends, Seinfield, Sky Dancers, the Dreamstone, and the like. Granted, I'm not that fond of the prequels, but being that fond of Star Wars after the 80's is not really feasible. The OT was groundbreaking and highly influential, but that is the problem, everything made after the OT is heavily influenced by it, where once it was a fresh new thing, it barely stands apart by now.

By the time the original trilogy was re-released in the mid nineties, I had been bombarded by countless parodies, shot outs and homages of it to really care. -And lets not go into the empire strikes back main plotwist that has been spoiled to death-. Then the Phantom menace came out and I got to watch something that truly stood out. By proxy it also gave me a reason to care about the OT as well. Suddenly I knew I wanted to watch the originals, to see what comes after that. Back to today, you won't see a single thing of SW parafernalia, no toys, no nothing, just a couple of old Playstation games and the six movies in Blu-ray in a single package, six movies together as a whole that I hold fondly.

Remove ads