Hexblade Smite + Paladin Smite

If you are playing a multiclass Warlock/Paladin with Eldritch Smite, is there anything in the rules that prohibits using both smites on an attack? I was just curious if I missed anything in the rules on it. Seemed like high damage potential for a single attack. Especially on a crit.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I just read over both pretty carefully, and I don't see anything against it, with the caveats that:

1) it takes two separate spells to do this (couldn't use one spell to fuel both abilities);
2) you need to be 7th level (level 5 hexblade and level 2 paladin) to get it rolling.

But yeah, it's a pretty strong combo, and both abilities trigger off of the hit, not the attack, so you aren't wasting the ability either. Combine it with Great Weapon Mastery feat with a two-handed hex weapon, and you're approaching "One Punch Man" territory. :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Please note though that the Eldritch Smite can only trigger off Warlock spell slots, while the Paladin (after errata) can trigger of any. So this isn't a combo that can occur often - twice per short rest at most unless you are quite a high level warlock.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Please note though that the Eldritch Smite can only trigger off Warlock spell slots, while the Paladin (after errata) can trigger of any. So this isn't a combo that can occur often - twice per short rest at most unless you are quite a high level warlock.

There is no difference in spell slots once you multiclass. All spell slots you have are slots for both classes.

There is no difference in spell slots once you multiclass. All spell slots you have are slots for both classes.

This part is true, though a Warlock/any other caster multiclass will always have less spell slots to play with than any other two caster combo that does not include Warlock. You have to track your spell slots separately even though you can use them for spells or abilities from either class.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This part is true, though a Warlock/any other caster multiclass will always have less spell slots to play with than any other two caster combo that does not include Warlock. You have to track your spell slots separately even though you can use them for spells or abilities from either class.

You only must track them separately because some recharge on a short rest and some on a long rest.

Harzel

Adventurer

Per the section on multiclassing, the slots are interchangeable for the purpose of casting a spell. Using Eldritch Smite expends a spell slot, but it is not casting a spell, so that verbiage from the multiclassing section does not apply. Eldritch Smite must use a warlock spell slot, whether multiclassed or not.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/11/1...you-only-use-warlock-spell-slots-to-power-it/

That said, I'd probably agree that it is a fiddly, hard-to-remember distinction that would occupy neurons that could be put to better use.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

With all of the additive spell slot classes this is true. Warlock is not one of them. And Eldritch Strike specifically calls out that it's Warlock slots - after they had to errata to correct paladin slots from the PHB, that's not a mistake.

Remove ads