CG Angels?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Is there a CG angel? I am looking for a traditional CG creature in the CR 10 range that's something like an angel or at least a CG archetype.

Quickleaf

Legend
Is there a CG angel? I am looking for a traditional CG creature in the CR 10 range that's something like an angel or at least a CG archetype.

Asuras are probably a good choice – CG fiery-winged angels of vengeance & creative muses. In D&D art they kind of have that bluish skin that some Vedic deities are portrayed with. Here's my conversion of them...

Angel, Asuras
Divine guides to mortal mystics and oracles, asuras are wild-eyed angels who serve as fiery muses on the Material Plane. While devas lend hope and courage to their charges, an asuras instead seeks to hone mortals to serve as implements of the gods, often with the aim of bringing justice to evil-doers. Asuras work outside of the angelic hierarchy, with less concern for law and obedience; their own free will helps them to better understand mortal motivations.
When an asuras reveals its true nature, it appears as a being of rare beauty, with aquiline features, skin ranging from alabaster white to the turquoise hue of the desert sky, hair in hues of copper and gold, talons for feet, and blazing wings that make it difficult to look upon the asuras directly.

Divine Avengers. Asuras take it upon themselves to bring punishment to those who have displeased the gods. Especially those who corrupt the deity’s teachings are likely to draw an asuras’ wrath. Because of its benevolent, if fiery, nature, an asuras prefers to mete out vengeance intended to teach the unforunate soul a lesson. The lessons of asuras are not gentle and have a high cost of failure, but usually their objective is to provide the fallen one a chance for redemption or change.

Grand Celestial Host. On the Upper Planes, asuras assemble into armies that are part of what they call the Grand Celestial Host. The trumpets of marching asuras are said to break the morale of evil creatures, chilling their wicked souls to the core.

Mortal Champions. More than other higher angels, asuras recognize the importance of mortal freewill; thus, they rarely directly interefere in the matters of men, preferring to inspire mortal champions to rise to the occasion.

Rogue Asuras. However, some grow overzealous in fulfilling their divine mandate, driving their mortal charges to madness or growing narrowly focused on an end result. These “rogue” asuras wander the Material Plane in human guise, righting wrongs (as they see it), guiding those who’ve fallen from the path, and indulging in their blazing passions. The trysts between asuras and mortal usually are short-lived due to the asuras’ uncompromising flame, but sometimes they have aasimar offspring destined to become figures of legend.

[SECTION]
Asuras
Medium celestial, chaotic good
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 104 (14d8+42)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.

STR 17 (+3) DEX 18 (+4) CON 17 (+3) INT 7 (+3) WIS 21 (+5) CHA 18 (+4)

Saving Throws Wis +8, Cha +7
Skills Insight +8, Perception +8
Damage Resistances fire, radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Angelic Weapons. The asuras’ weapon attacks are magical. When the asuras hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 3d8 radiant damage (included in the attack).

Divine Awareness. The asuras knows if it hears a lie.

Illumination. The asuras’ burning wings shed bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.

Innate Spellcasting. The asuras’ spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It can cast the following spells without material components:
At-will: detect evil and good, guidance
1/day: commune, magic circle

Magic Resistance. The asuras has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The asuras makes two scimitar or shortbow attacks.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) slashing damage and 13 (3d8) radiant damage.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) piercing damage and 13 (3d8) radiant damage.

Burning Wind (recharge 5-6). The asuras pumps its wings, creating a burning hot gust of wind. Each creature within a 30-foot cone of the asuras must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 18 (4d8) fire damage and being pushed 5 feet away from the asuras on a failed save, or taking half as much damage and not being pushed on a successful save.

Change Shape. The asuras polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the asuras’ choice). In a new form, the asuras retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks.

Healing Touch (2/day). The asuras touches another creature. The target magically regains 10 (2d8+1) hit points, and is freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, or deafness.
[/SECTION]

Advilaar

Explorer
I would suggest you look up some of the CG angels from 2nd edition. 2e had a humongous selection of celestials including archons and guardinals.

The conversion from 2e to 5e seems to go a lot better than from 4e or 3e.

HD would be the same and use the table in DM's toolbox to get your proficiency bonus and thus your to hits and DCs after adding in ability mod. Spells per X should work the same. Saves, give them the good saves of any angel and add modifiers. Ability scores, you may have to guesstimate. Any psi, ignore. Give them resist radiant and magic and all other angel resit/immunes you are good to go.

Oofta

Legend
Why not just use a Deva and make them CG? To me the CG descriptor is more about motivation, attitude and viewpoints than actual powers. Especially if your PCs don't run into devas on a regular basis. Change the description/weapon/spells a bit and you're done.

If that doesn't fit the bill, I'd need some more detail than "CG Angel".

I think the current more-or-less official idea for CG outsiders of that CR neighborhood is to take an NPC like the champion or the archdruid, make it an elf, and then change the type to celestial. They are supposed to live in Arborea (and if there are celestial drow elves, they probably live in the shadier parts of Ysgard). Personally, I would throw in magic resistance and/or attacks counting as magic for purposes of overcoming resistance and immunities to add to the difference from the mortal elves.

Maybe riddle-obsessed gynosphixes are LN, but pun-obsessed ones are CG (and have the celestial rather than monstrosity type). Add in half-copper dragon for extra fun....

The fidelus angels from Tome of Beasts are LG and only CR 5, but the whole "protect true love" thing seems at least as CG as LG to me, and they come in pairs.

If you added a level or two of tempest domain cleric to a deva angel, that probably wouldn't be enough to change the CR rating, and a number of storm gods are notoriously chaotic....

dave2008

Legend
Traditionally (2e) Angels are "any good alignment." So it seems completely OK to just make a Deva Chaotic Good. If that is not what your looking for, then [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]'s Asuras look good.

My homebred rule is adding the allegiance from d20 Modern to alignment and powers with alignment key can hurt enemies with same alignment but different allegiance (religion, fatherland, tribe, clan, race..), and allowing opposite alignment allegiances for example a evil character with good allegiance would be a zealot and a chaotic character with law allegiance would be a cop who breaks the rules. For me chaotic alignment would be about attuned to nature or primal powers, or behavior with people from different allegiance.

My suggestion for CG celestial outsiders is using the eladrins like source of inspiration, and maybe the guardinals too.

gyor

Legend
Asuras are very Angel like from previous editions D&D , they have are basically humaniod shaped, with bird like feet, burning wings, and shape shifting powers.

Others might suggest Eladarin, but they are more Fey like then typical angel like.

Remove ads