CHALLENGE: Campaigns that NOBODY would want to play in

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Discussions in other threads about the propriety of DMs limiting that campaigns in ways that ban things that some players love got me to thinking.

Can you really come up with a campaign setting that NOBODY would like play in?

Give it your best shot, come up with what you think is an awful campaign concept.

The other part of this challenge is to try to show how these awful concepts could make for an awesome campaign.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As for creating a campaign setting no player would want to play in...

How about one based entirely on modern politics and social scores (as is rumored to be happening in some places in the world).

It is bad enough in the real world, just imagine how much more twisted and sick a RPG of it could be. :devil:

Ever play Paranoia?

One in which there are no monsters and the world does not need to be saved.

Rather one where you need you ensure your weapon permits are up to date and your taxes paid on time.

Campaigns I would pass on:
The world has been overrun by gelatinous cubes, your party is what's left of humanity as it rises up against the jelly masters.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
As for creating a campaign setting no player would want to play in...

How about one based entirely on modern politics and social scores (as is rumored to be happening in some places in the world).

It is bad enough in the real world, just imagine how much more twisted and sick a RPG of it could be. :devil:

Why do you think no one would play it? There's already a computer game of checking immigration paperwork at a border checkpoint in a fictional dystopian country, and of course the classic Paranoia game. I think it would probably be a setting that would be reasonably popular. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papers,_Please

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The world has been overrun by gelatinous cubes, your party is what's left of humanity as it rises up against the jelly masters.

I would play that. In fact, I would run that.

An all Kender party based around the idea of Lord of the Rings meets Dragonlance, but with Kender instead of Hobbits.

This idea, OTOH, has probably put you on several government watch lists.

Remove ads