• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Acid Splash Chemestry?

Allistar1801

Explorer
So, im going to play a gnome transmutation wizard/chemest at some point in the future and want to know, what would yall's rulings be on acid splash. Because I want to play a chemest I figured creating acid would be useful, but there's a few things.

It's a conjuration and the duration is instantaneous, and under most circumstances this means the magic fades immediately. Does that mean that the magic used to summon it fades or the acid itself fades.

Also, what type of acid is created? Citric, carbonic, boric, tartaric, hydrochloric, phosphoric? Do I get to choose the type of acid? Can I choose if the acid is dilute or is it 100% all the time.

It also only has the targets of " 1 creature or 2 creatures if they're in 5 ft of each other" does that mean that you cant use it on any kind of objects? Why would it not effect anything else?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm still probably gonna take it, but was wondering if I could get creative with it.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, im going to play a gnome transmutation wizard/chemest at some point in the future and want to know, what would yall's rulings be on acid splash. Because I want to play a chemest I figured creating acid would be useful, but there's a few things.

It's a conjuration and the duration is instantaneous, and under most circumstances this means the magic fades immediately. Does that mean that the magic used to summon it fades or the acid itself fades.

Either the acid fades from existance, or it simply becomes inert.

Also, what type of acid is created? Citric, carbonic, boric, tartaric, hydrochloric, phosphoric? Do I get to choose the type of acid? Can I choose if the acid is dilute or is it 100% all the time.

Probably no lysergic. The type of acid is fairly irrelevent outside the fact that it's capable of instantly damaging a creature. As long as it as no effect beyond the spell's description, call it what you want.

It also only has the targets of " 1 creature or 2 creatures if they're in 5 ft of each other" does that mean that you cant use it on any kind of objects? Why would it not effect anything else?

Magic works in mysteious ways. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm still probably gonna take it, but was wondering if I could get creative with it.

Ultimately, you should ask your DM if they will allow the spell to have any effect that isn't in the spell description.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's magic elemental acid from the Plane of Earth. :) (I was a chemistry major once, so I can appreciate 'getting creative' with D&D physics, but it's usually best not to think about it too hard or the other players or DM's heads might explode... )

Give me an immovable rod, a decanter of endless water, and a portable hole, and I shall DESTROY ALL SPACE AND TIME!!!

Allistar1801

Explorer
It's magic elemental acid from the Plane of Earth. :) (I was a chemistry major once, so I can appreciate 'getting creative' with D&D physics, but it's usually best not to think about it too hard or the other players or DM's heads might explode... )

Give me an immovable rod, a decanter of endless water, and a portable hole, and I shall DESTROY ALL SPACE AND TIME!!!

That sounds awesome, and now I'm wondering how those pieces were arranged!

Anyways yeah I'm kinda sorta into physics and chemestry and stuff, by no means an expert but I just noticed something I thought would be neat.

That actually lead me to this one thread talking about minor alchemy and how when a party was faced with a river of acid inside if a cave, their transmuter changed the stone into Calcium Carbonate (aka the main ingredient in tums along with other antacids) and he neutralized the acid! I found that a while back but haven't seen it since.

Quickleaf

Legend

I humbly suggest you have proficiency in alchemist's supplies, create vials of acid, then use the catapult spell to launch them at your foes.

Dausuul

Legend
By the book, acid splash affects only creatures, not objects. However, consult your DM to find out how it works in your game. Personally, I would be inclined to let it work on objects, since it's kind of a crappy spell otherwise. Just don't expect it to work on objects fast. And the acid evaporates immediately, so you have to stand there casting and recasting.

If your DM wants to stick to the rules, it could be explained by saying that it draws on the animating force of the target to produce the effect. (An alternative explanation would be that this type of acid only works on flesh, but then you have to explain how it can affect stone golems and skeletons and ghosts. Actually, it's gonna be tough to explain how it works on ghosts no matter what. Like Henry said, best not to think about it too hard.)

Remove ads