Thievery at a gallop.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
What rules apply for doing a ride-by grab of an item to steal it while mounted? Are there any prestige classes with related abilities? I am building a gang of goat-mounted dwarven bandits--- The Buckriders.

I don't think Sleight of Hand even applies. You wouldn't have time to identify items (or even be able to put your hands in someone's pocket) and of course stealth is out of the question.

I think the right rule is grapple, or maybe disarm. You would zip by someone, cut their backpack straps, bags, etc, grab that and run off with the bag. Once you're far enough away to be safe, you can examine the bags and see if there's anything worthwhile.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I don't think Sleight of Hand even applies. You wouldn't have time to identify items (or even be able to put your hands in someone's pocket) and of course stealth is out of the question.

I think the right rule is grapple, or maybe disarm. You would zip by someone, cut their backpack straps, bags, etc, grab that and run off with the bag. Once you're far enough away to be safe, you can examine the bags and see if there's anything worthwhile.

Yes, it is closer to a grapple than it is to a pickpocket attempt. Maybe require Ride-By Attack and Improved Grapple?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Here is the class ability I am giving my raiders:

Mounted Raider: While mounted and charging you can use a disarm attempt to snatch an object held or worn by your target. You do not provoke an attack of opportunity by the target.

Remove ads