Printer Tech Support

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Maybe more like Windows 10 issue. I'm struggling to get my aunt's Windows 10 desktop to print over wifi on a HP printer. My Windows 10 laptop gets the same results. When attempting to print a message comes up saying attention required. No further info is given. The computers see the printer. I can print a test page but nothing else. I tried a fresh install of drivers. I've tried direct TCP/IP connections. Those were suggestions on HP's site. USB connection works fine. Printer cable is not long enough so I have it daisy chained with USB extensions. A cable is not long term solution because it's in the way.

And yes, I've tried turning it on and off.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'll give that a shot. I use my phone as a hot spot all the time. I didn't think to try that. If it works then the problem could be the network. It's not a fix though. I can only do it as part of the dianostic. My aunts are not going to go through the hassle of a hotspot when they want to print. I will try it to see if it changes anything. Thank you for the suggestion.

elawai

Community Supporter
If the wireless network is on a dual band router, it could be that you have the printer on the 5 GHz band. Some printers don't work with 5 GHz band. Switching it to the 2.4GHz band might solve it.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'll have to look at that. My sister has Comcast internet, and the router for it is duel band. It has two different entries on the list. My aunt has comcast but only one signal. I'm not sure if it's 5g or not.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
From the computer. I think it was part of the HP setup after downloading the drivers and software. It gave an option to print a test page.

Ryujin

Legend
From the computer. I think it was part of the HP setup after downloading the drivers and software. It gave an option to print a test page.

If you go into Settings/Devices/Printers and Scanners/The printer in question/Manage are you able to send a test page to the printer from there now?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I have not returned to my aunt's until now. No, I can't print a test page.

I can't log into the router setup page. Default password didn't work. The user info for the Xfinity account didn't work either. When I tried the hot spot the printer said it was connected. Only the desktop and my tablet showed connected to the phone. In control panel the printer appeared offline.

Ryujin

Legend
I have not returned to my aunt's until now. No, I can't print a test page.

I can't log into the router setup page. Default password didn't work. The user info for the Xfinity account didn't work either. When I tried the hot spot the printer said it was connected. Only the desktop and my tablet showed connected to the phone. In control panel the printer appeared offline.

Check to see if the printer is using a WSD port, instead of an IP address, for a port. I've had iffy results with WSD (works for a while, then drops offline) with some printers. If it is using WSD pull the IP address from the printer's panel and try setting it up using that IP for the port address instead.

Remove ads