question to all: games for 8-10 players?

evilbob

Explorer
TL;aint-gonna-read:
Anyone know of ANY co-op/RPG, story/character-drive game out there (even a board game) that can cater to 8-10 players? Or is it impossible that a game where at best you get 10% of the interaction time, everyone can remain engaged?

A brief history:
We've been gaming for over a decade, and over the last few years been fortunate enough to add friends and gotten much larger. We've also shifted over time from D&D (all versions) to Vampire the Masquerade to the D&D-lite splinters (Numenara, 13th Age, etc.) and have even made up our own entire game systems - but the gradual trend has been away from hard core, crunchy, time-consuming games (D&D, Pathfinder) and toward much more fast-paced, rules-lite games, partially to maximize engagement. In sum: our latest is a home-brew Powered by the Apocalypse game, which we love - and barely holds together with 8 or 9 folks. But even something where turns (we've resorted to turns) take seconds instead of 5-10 minutes, it's still difficult to keep that many people engaged, participating, and keeping up. Also: not everyone can come every time, so we have anywhere from 100% to 50% attendance from each person, although we rarely fall below 7 people. So flexibility is also helpful.

At this point it seems like an insurmountable logistics problem: how do you even hold a 10-person work meeting and keep them engaged and contributing the entire time? Is it something that can happen? Or are we working against a natural group limit of human beings?

We've already thought of:
We like games like Cards Against Humanity, which has no upper bound on player limit - they are great fun but aren't really about anything; we want more than what I would (not derisively) call a party game. We fell into Zombicide for a long while, and that was great: it easily goes up to 8 people. But it has run its course. We're not interested in slimming down the group. Also we're not into vs. games (co-op or DM-led tabletop RPG preferred).

Another suggestion we haven't tried yet is trying having 2 people play a single character: we could match people who don't often show up on the same night, which solves some attendance and story issues, and it gives the natural, constant side-conversations a channel, instead of letting them conflagrate spontaneously. But it has its own drawbacks, not the least of which is characters that seem to have split personalities (although baking that into character creation could be a great seed for a campaign!) and people can fall behind even more easily.

So I am also trying to crowdsource a solution: does anyone know of a game that still works with 8-10 people? Just about everything I've seen is built to run with 3-6 players, and I'm wondering if this may be for a larger reason than simply marketing.

Quick edit: In case this wasn't clear, something like the Pathfinder card game or Gloomhaven is not going to work for our group either; too crunchy. (There's nothing wrong with these games or anything else I've listed! They're just not something that matches our group.)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
TL;aint-gonna-read:
Anyone know of ANY co-op/RPG, story/character-drive game out there (even a board game) that can cater to 8-10 players? Or is it impossible that a game where at best you get 10% of the interaction time, everyone can remain engaged?

Well, you've almost hit the point, there. The way to do it is to make is so that the GM (or board) is not the only place interaction happens!

Murder mystery parties typically work with 6-20 people.

Live Action RPGs, for example, usually work with numbers of that size and up (I've seen live-action games run with ten times as many players as that), and do fine.

Both do this by distributing the interaction - players interact with other players, rather than a singular board or GM, and without requiring a strict turn-order.

Last edited:

practicalm

Explorer
I've run RPG games with 8-10, but if that isn't working for you then I can recommend.

Tortuga 1667 works well with 9 players; Deadwood 1876 also is good with 9.

Mafia de Cuba works with up to 12

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen is a great story RPG game for up to 20. I've played with 8 or so not sure how well it really scales to 20.

If you want something more like the trading rounds of Advanced Civ, you can give Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant a try.

Secret Hitler might work with 10 (I have not played it at all yet)

Formula De can play 10 but it bogs down with that many in my opinion

There's a fun RPG called Dialect that would be interesting to try with that many players. I think it might bog down with more than 6 but it's a game about building a language so it's possible more people would add something to it. (Game recommends 3-5 but I've played with more.)

evilbob

Explorer
Both do this by distributing the interaction - players interact with other players, rather than a singular board or GM, and without requiring a strict turn-order.
Good thoughts, thank you!

Tortuga 1667; Deadwood 1876; Mafia de Cuba; Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation; Secret Hitler; Formula De
All vs. games. They sound like neat games, but they're not for us.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen sounds interesting since you don't really need a winner; Dialect is actually co-op and sounds pretty similar so I appreciate that suggestion!

biktin

First Post
You've not mentioned why you couldn't do the following, so I will suggest it even though it's not quite what you're asking. I'm assuming you want to solve your problem, but it doesn't *have* to be by finding a game that supports that many players: Split into two, perfectly-sized groups of 4 or 5.

10 people is like a little RPG club so you could maybe treat it as such and have some kind of rotation system so that everything keeps fresh and people don't get split up for too long. Given that you have accrued what seems like a huge amount of experience under your belts, I'm sure there's at least one or two people who could GM with a little coaching (if there's currently only 1 person who dares try it), and it's less daunting with less rules-heavy games anyway - or not even required for some games.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Eldritch Horror will support up to 8 players. It is a Cthulu-themed co-op board game, a simpler version of the Arkham Horror game that came before it. There are a lot of components, mostly stacks of cards, but the play is intuitive and flows quickky once you get the hang of it. You never feel like you`re waiiting for your turn because you always want to see how the others fare and if you may be able to help them.

Reynard

Legend
I have seen tables of that many folks have absolutely phenomenal experiences playing FIASCO.

I sometimes run that many players in D&D in con games (so one shots) and it works fine if you keep things focused and moving, but that many bogs down a regular weekly game IMO.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You've not mentioned why you couldn't do the following, so I will suggest it even though it's not quite what you're asking. I'm assuming you want to solve your problem, but it doesn't *have* to be by finding a game that supports that many players: Split into two, perfectly-sized groups of 4 or 5.

And, for that, you might want to consider soemthign of the form of the West Marches Experiment - in which the groups can mix it up....

http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

evilbob

Explorer
Split into two, perfectly-sized groups of 4 or 5.
Yeah, that's a good thought, and you're right that we have many good DMs at this point. I think we haven't because we enjoy the socialization part of gaming so much, and we'd hate to miss out on half the fun. But it's a good suggestion.
And, for that, you might want to consider soemthign of the form of the West Marches Experiment - in which the groups can mix it up....

http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/
Oh right I remember that old thread! Yeah that is a good idea for how to implement something like that! Thanks!

Eldritch Horror will support up to 8 players. It is a Cthulu-themed co-op board game, a simpler version of the Arkham Horror game that came before it.
Ah, thanks for that description - I had dismissed that game out of hand because we tried Arkham Horror years ago and I think I still have PTSD from the insane (cthulu-esque?) complexity and poor rules explanations from that game. Knowing it's simpler gives me hope we could actually play it!

I have seen tables of that many folks have absolutely phenomenal experiences playing FIASCO.
That does sound hilarious, thanks!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've found that very mechanically simple RPGs where each turn is quite short work well for large groups.

I recommend checking out The One Ring, from Cubicle7, for that.

I wonder if there are any good RPGs where a person whose turn it isn't gets to do things...maybe to help the person whose turn it is? Or do things to the environment?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases