A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

hawkeyefan

Legend
It's not about a fear of abuse. It's about common sense and reason. It makes no sense for a group to want to use player knowledge about trolls out of a desire not to have to feign ignorance, but but okay with feigning ignorance about vampires and golems. It's not at all the same kind of situation as "Mother May I."

Sure it is. "If it can be done once, what's to stop if from happening every time?"

Perhaps I misremembered, but I thought you compared the troll bit to a unique monster and the players demanding to know about that, and that seems like an extreme example.

Vampires and golems and the established monsters? Yes, those would be similar; I'd just let the players act on what they know, and chalk it up to folk lore and word of mouth, and then think no more of it. I can't see the value add of halting progress to turn this into a metagame issue where it simply does not have to be one.

A troll is very unlikely to even be able to regenerate if the party knows the truth. They will use methods that take advantage of the weakness, to the xp value should be diminished if metagaming player knowledge is allowed.

Okay, cool. So then maybe tell the players that and see if they think the drop in XP is worth it in order to avoid pretending they don't know what they know. Or if they say okay sounds cool, then play the encounter with the intent of establishing a justification for using fire.

Of these two options, I know which I'd prefer, but I certainly wouldn't ever begrudge a DM asking for player input into how the game is played.

No, it's not an unfair advantage, because it's not guaranteed that they will find out. The game has rules for determining if players can find out, or it did. 5e leaves that in the DM's hands again. I believe that the players sometimes knowing and sometimes not is the balance point of monsters with weaknesses. Players never knowing would make them worth more. Players always knowing would make them worth less.

I think whether or not they find out through "reasonable" means is largely DM dependent, no?

Unless the players all get some kind of lore roll for every creature they encounter and then their knowledge is based on the results of the roll.

I think so. It may not be the only disagreement, but it seems like the largest one. I'm even okay with the player adding in background later if it makes sense for the PC, but not if it's done for immediate gain.

Fair enough. For me, I don't think my example was really about the gain so much as it was about moving the game along, but having said that, I don't even care if the player does something like that with gain in mind.

Especially playing so much Blades in the Dark lately, which allows for all kinds of player introduced content, some of which is about making things easier for characters or playing to their strengths, but just as much is about making things hard for the characters. I've stopped worrying so much about "advantage" or "disadvantages" and instead I'm more concerned about "interesting". I just have an open mind about players introducing things to the fiction in an attempt to make things interesting.

If I thought they were only doing it to gain an advantage, then I'd be more concerned. But then it's clearly about abuse, which brings us back to the beginning of this post and how that relates to the concern over "Mother May I".

I don't think you understood what I meant by "fluff," even though I provided an example that is similar what happens to Han Solo. Fluff just means "not mechanical." A fluff background can and will be very important. It can provide motivations, context, and become part of play. There's nothing wrong with being fluff. Fluff is often more important in my game than mechanics are.

I understood the term fluff....crunch and fluff and all that....it was the "Just" in front of it that made it seem unimportant.

No, because the player investment will be there. Fluff does not mean "unused" and "unimportant." It just means that it will not be mechanical in nature. Han Solo's background with Jaba had a huge influence, even though it was fluff. Leia's fluff background as a princess is important throughout the movies, even though her planet is destroyed.

Right.

Is this what you do with your player backgrounds? The only example I recall that you've shared at this point is that one PC had a hermit friend who you might have show up one day. If you have others, it'd be cool if you share them. If I missed any, my apologies...it's a long thread and I haven't caught up on all new posts yet.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What's a realistic nobility-to-commoner ratio among PCs? Is it the same or different from the elf-to-dwarf ratio? The fighter-to-MU ratio?
Elf-to-dwarf would ideally sort of reflect the overall population ratio in the area, over the long run (i.e. if there's more elves in the local area than dwarves I'd expect to see more elves in play than dwarves and (though players can usually choose) I'd set up any random tables to reflect this.

MU-to-fighter has a vaguely suggested ratio in the 1e DMG of about 1-to-4, which has proven surprisingly accurate over the years in our games.

Nobility-to-commoner in medieval society would be about 1-to-a great many (1-to-hundreds? 1-to-thousands?), thus nobility - particularly high nobility e.g. monarchs or other rulers of places - as adventurers would also be somewhat rare one would think. Lesser nobility e.g. landless knights might almost be dime-a-dozen in adventuring circles, such as your cavalier, but that carries little to no in-game advantage.

Are people really having this much trouble understanding where Maxperson is coming from. It isn't like he is saying he enjoys smashing his player's heads on teh table. He just appreciates making a distinction between character knowledge and player knowledge. This isn't something every group will have the same sensibility about. But it is super common and not at all unusual (and the preference makes complete sense). I do not understand why people are having such a hard time empathizing with his point of view on the matter (not saying you have to agree with him, just not sure why people can't even seem to grasp why he likes this and why it might be good for some groups). Again, i think this is part of a larger issue with these conversations. If you are just here to advocate for a playstyle, you are only doing harm to your playstyle by making it seem obnoxious and you are not helping anyone understand why you do what you do. At the same time, your not learning anything about alternative approaches.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure. I don't know if it's as formalized as that....generally speaking, all the backgrounds in 5E come with a benefit of some kind, so each player will have some equivalent perk associated with what they've chosen.
Fair enough.

But then, I pretty much just use that choice as a starting point for the fiction, and use it to help shape the events and complications that they face. A noble just comes with all manner of connections and obligations and so forth.....so I use that to help inform the challenges the party will face.
As would I were someone to hit nobility on the random chart; I've had to do just this a few times in the past.

But note that the 5e example still has the noble status being determined at char-gen along with the background, rather than dropped into play on the fly. It's the dropped-into-play-on-the-fly bit I have problems with, in that a) chances are it's being done just to gain an advantage in the here and now, and b) as the PC has thus always been a noble who knows how much previous play would have to be looked askance at - or worse, outright retconned - had this information been available all along.

I tend to prefer a variety of character types and backgrounds and so on. Nothing wrong with a zero to hero type story, but there's no reason to limit everyone to that approach.
Fair enough, but that's the arc the overall campaign will take regardless. (as opposed to, say, the 4e approach where the PCs are already heroes at 1st level)

One, so the solution is to simply deny them all that option? I don't really see this as a major concern....each player can come up with something cool, or we can work together to come up with something cool. No one's going to complain "but Billy gets to be a noble, why can't I be one too?" Or if they are, then I think it's more a player issue than a game issue, and they'd likely make similar complaints about class choice and gear and so on at every step of the way.
You think they don't? :)

Two, I think this may be a headache if things in the game are largely predetermined, but is not a concern if the game is more about finding the fiction through play. But even with a heavily GM driven game, I think it's just a matter of considering the situation; a character has just revealed a noble heritage that until now has been hidden. This kind of thing happens all the time in genre fiction. All you have to do is ask questions; why was your heritage hidden? Why reveal it now? What will happen now that you've revealed it?
The difference being that in genre fiction at least someone (the author) knows all along that the character has a hidden noble heritage. In the reveal-on-the-fly instance in an RPG the DM didn't know ahead of time and it's entirely possible the player didn't either, if this decision was made on a whim; and that's my objection: had this been known all along even if just by the one player and the DM the odds are high that the player would have approached some things differently during the PC's adventuring career up to that point, and there's a chance the DM might have tried to work something in as well.

regarding the second point, again, I think this is about looking at the fiction that's been established. Why were there no such reactions in the previous towns visited? Why has no one treated this character as a noble till now? You answer those questions and the ones I mentioned above, and the fiction emerges through play. Again, this is the kind of "Discovery" for which some are advocating.
I don't see this as Discovery (in either big D or small d terms), I see it as nothing more than a headache for the DM - and maybe the player(s) - as they retcon the fiction to fit this new info in.

And by the way, did I mention there's nothing more evil than retcons?

Yes, you can! I mean, I believe you can. Obviously, this may not be something everyone's immediately comfortable with, or even that they may enjoy, of course....but you certainly are capable of it.
How?

How can I do anything with the idea of Falstaff in fact being King Falstaff if neither I nor his player know he's a king? If I arbitrarily introduced this as DM I'd likely get in trouble, and if the player arbitrarily introduces it then that means he's been a king all along...which leads right back to retcons.

Okay, here's where I think one of the sticking points with metagaming concerns come up. Because there is a difference between the characters doing something that they'd have no idea they need to do, and the characters choosing to do something perfectly reasonable for them to do. If your group says "it's been an hour, let's go look for the scout" and your DM instinct is to say "well why wouldn't you guys wait another hour?" you need to rethink that. Why would they not do what they said? Why find a reason to shoot it down just because it's possible they could do something else?
If they wait for the hour my DM instinct wouldn't say anything if they decided not to wait for another hour.

It's if the scout dies ten minutes in and suddenly the party decide to - fancy that - get on the move after ten minutes that my DM instinct flies a red flag.

This is the DM creating a metagame situation where none actually exists. Why fret over the metagame concerns when there's a game to actually get on with? A PC has died and the rest of the group is going to find that out.....why delay such a moment? Why get in the way?
Maybe they're not going to find that out.

All they know is that she didn't return. Is she captured? Dead? Dying at the bottom of a cliff somewhere because she slipped and fell? Teleported halfway round the world? On her way back to town having abandoned the party and mission?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Fair enough.

As would I were someone to hit nobility on the random chart; I've had to do just this a few times in the past.

But note that the 5e example still has the noble status being determined at char-gen along with the background, rather than dropped into play on the fly. It's the dropped-into-play-on-the-fly bit I have problems with, in that a) chances are it's being done just to gain an advantage in the here and now, and b) as the PC has thus always been a noble who knows how much previous play would have to be looked askance at - or worse, outright retconned - had this information been available all along.

Sure, a lot of this may happen at character generation. This may apply to many games, and 5E as presented does expect for a background to be selected when the character is created. But, there's no reason you can't let's say allow a player to delay the choice and then select his background at some point during play. This would allow for our spontaneous noble example. Or some other twist depending on how it's deployed. The advantage of this method is that the DM would perhaps be at least somewhat prepared because he'd be expecting a choice of some sort.

Then outside the realm of D&D there are games and systems that allow this kind of thing all the time.

Fair enough, but that's the arc the overall campaign will take regardless. (as opposed to, say, the 4e approach where the PCs are already heroes at 1st level)

Maybe. Depends on the game and what happens. Maybe it's a tragedy like Oedipus. The character starts out with a lot, and falls. Blades in the Dark pretty much assumes that the characters are doomed and it's just a matter of time until they're either killed by another faction or forced into retirement due to trauma.

You think they don't? :)

Mine don't, so this is a bit surprising to me, yeah. Do you DM for kids? I could see this being an issue with younger players or newer players, but I always got the impression you're playing with a long standing group, so I'd be surprised by that kind of thing, absolutely.

The difference being that in genre fiction at least someone (the author) knows all along that the character has a hidden noble heritage. In the reveal-on-the-fly instance in an RPG the DM didn't know ahead of time and it's entirely possible the player didn't either, if this decision was made on a whim; and that's my objection: had this been known all along even if just by the one player and the DM the odds are high that the player would have approached some things differently during the PC's adventuring career up to that point, and there's a chance the DM might have tried to work something in as well.

I don't see this as Discovery (in either big D or small d terms), I see it as nothing more than a headache for the DM - and maybe the player(s) - as they retcon the fiction to fit this new info in.

The author may or may not know something like that all along. You're thinking of it from the perspective a book that's already completed, and the players are reading it. They don't know what's to come, but the DM is the author, so he knows. But I think that an RPG is more like a book that's still being written rather than a book that's still being read.

There's no reason that something like this can't come up during play. Now, my advocacy for this is not a blanket statement that anything can be decided at any time. I think if a player wanted to try and introduce something like this spontaneously, then he and the DM need to look at what's been established, and figure out how it could be so. There may be a case where it's not possible based on what's been established. I'm not saying that this kind of thing needs to always be approved.

It's more that when others say it can't be done, I like to ask "why not?"

And by the way, did I mention there's nothing more evil than retcons?

No, but it's not surprising to hear you say that!

I personally don't mind them that much. I'd prefer to avoid them where possible, but it's impossible not to have some come up. Usually, they're my own fault. I've learned to accept it, and the best thing to do is not actually retcon something, but to just correct it. Just acknowledge the error and then move on rather than try to explain how the error wasn't actually an error.

But, I don't think that retcons are as necessary to make things like the spontaneous noble work. Because when this is revealed, you immediately think of the questions relating to "how could this be so?"

How?

How can I do anything with the idea of Falstaff in fact being King Falstaff if neither I nor his player know he's a king? If I arbitrarily introduced this as DM I'd likely get in trouble, and if the player arbitrarily introduces it then that means he's been a king all along...which leads right back to retcons.

How can you not do anything with it? It's something that kind of needs to be addressed, no?

Let's imagine an alternate world where this came up in one of your games and you decide to go with it....I don't think you're as clueless about how to deal with it as you seem to claim. You ask questions.
- Why was this not revealed till now? Seems like maybe there would be an interesting answer there.
- Why didn't the nobles of the last city we visited recognize the character? Possibly a mundane reason like they've never met, or perhaps just a case of context, or maybe the character was disguised. Or maybe there's another interesting answer here....maybe it involves magic, or a curse, or something like that.
- Why not let the other PCs know before now? Come up with a reason that works.

No retcons are necessary. this is simply new information that doesn't actually contradict the past.

Do you see how this kind of thing may excite players or GMs?

If they wait for the hour my DM instinct wouldn't say anything if they decided not to wait for another hour.

It's if the scout dies ten minutes in and suddenly the party decide to - fancy that - get on the move after ten minutes that my DM instinct flies a red flag.

But what's the difference? At the table I mean. You're not sitting there actually counting out the minutes and then at minute ten the players say "we've waited long enough". You just say "the hour passes, and the scout doesn't return. What do you do?" Boom. Get to the fun.

Maybe they're not going to find that out.

All they know is that she didn't return. Is she captured? Dead? Dying at the bottom of a cliff somewhere because she slipped and fell? Teleported halfway round the world? On her way back to town having abandoned the party and mission?

What? The players absolutely know. And the characters know that she didn't return......so I don't think it would be at all odd that they'd want to try and see what happened to her. Again, the players are concerned, and the characters would likewise be concerned.....so there's really no metagaming going on. Sure, if we want to really examine it, the players may be thinking of revenge while the characters are thinking of finding out what happened and hopefully helping their friend....but ultimately it's all leading to the same thing: moving forward.

Why would you not let them find this out? Why would a DM ever steer the game away from such a potentially dramatic moment?

I'm really not getting your point at all here.

pemerton

Legend
I think you are really misinterpreting this

<snip>

you are stretching what they are saying into territory they clearly don't intend

<snip>

the point about the challenge of playing within the limits of your character, to me that very much suggests a thought about meta gaming.
What interpretation? Do you disagree that "there is no statement of any universal metagame ban"? Do you disagree that "the approach to rules questions, and the emphasis on collaboration/consensus rather than GM rulings and GM decision-making" is interesting?

The first paragraph says you can't use player knowledge and have your PC's know it.
As [MENTION=6972053]Numidius[/MENTION] posted, it talks about player knowledge of chemistry, not player knowledge of the gameworld.

The players working together just means that they shouldn't be jerks about ideas on what to do.
It encourages metagaming - that is, making decisions having regard not to the fiction and the character, but rather what will make the game work as a game.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
I think many readers of LotR would not agree with you that Aragorn's title was an "empty" one.
Because it got filled at the end. Until then, he was unknown and his title really didn't mean much.
I think this is an extremely shallow reading of LotR. Aragorn's status as the rightful king is fundamental to his character from the moment he enters the story.

I get the balance reasons for the trade-off style of PC building, but it doesn't sit well with me when designers use balance to justify things that don't make sense.
Assuming you use the standard D&D rules for starting money, aren't they exactly an example of this?

pemerton

Legend
Elf-to-dwarf would ideally sort of reflect the overall population ratio in the area, over the long run (i.e. if there's more elves in the local area than dwarves I'd expect to see more elves in play than dwarves and (though players can usually choose) I'd set up any random tables to reflect this.

MU-to-fighter has a vaguely suggested ratio in the 1e DMG of about 1-to-4, which has proven surprisingly accurate over the years in our games.

Nobility-to-commoner in medieval society would be about 1-to-a great many (1-to-hundreds? 1-to-thousands?), thus nobility - particularly high nobility e.g. monarchs or other rulers of places - as adventurers would also be somewhat rare one would think. Lesser nobility e.g. landless knights might almost be dime-a-dozen in adventuring circles, such as your cavalier, but that carries little to no in-game advantage.
My comment really was intended as rhetorical humour. But given you've offered a literal reply: why would one expect any given party of characters to be a representative sample of the gameworld society as a whole? Society as a whole, in the typical fantasy game, is farmers and pastoralists. But in my experience very few players player farmers or herders.

Eg if 1 in 5 PCs is a MU, that's a much higher ratio than in the population as a whole, where far fewer than 1 in 5 people is a MU. Why is that acceptable, but a similar ratio for nobles not?

What interpretation? Do you disagree that "there is no statement of any universal metagame ban"? Do you disagree that "the approach to rules questions, and the emphasis on collaboration/consensus rather than GM rulings and GM decision-making" is interesting?

I think it is strongly implied by the whole playing within the limits of your character. I think the second portion of your statement is a complete misreading of what it says. That has always been an aspect of rulings (in no way is it a collaboration versus GM rulings. It clearly says the GMs word is final on the matter. But look at my posts through both these threads. I've emphasized both GM rulings and building trust by working with your group. But none of that has anything do with the kind of collaboration and consensus on game fiction you've been talking about across both threads.

Last edited:

Remove ads