A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Really? You know this for sure? Even if the PC background is being born and raised in a peasant village, living in mud-and-timber housing?

But you're equally sure that they won't know what a troll's weakness is?

It does baffle me that you cannot see that this is a completely arbitrary way in which to draw lines about what player knowledge a PC is or is not permitted to draw upon.
Were it me, a PC with a peasant background would very likely have a penalty on such a knowledge check, while a PC with an engineering background or any sort of Rogue/Thief training would have a bonus or even not require a check at all (potential bonuses would be looked at first and if any existed then any penalties would go away).

Why are you assuming that all knowledge checks would succeed?
Earlier you were suggesting that if the player (but not the PC) had the requisite knowledge then there wouldn't even be a check; that the knowledge would be automatic.

What is the nature of the competition?
In general terms, it's the PCs vs the game world: the game world is out to mess them up, or kill them; and they're out to survive and make a difference (hopefully) for the better.

In the first ever encounter with a troll, or yellow mould, or whatever, the players had to solve a puzzle in order to succeed in the encounter. The nature of the competition (or challenge, if one prefers) in that sort of case is pretty obvious.
Right.

However, when next those players run out a posse of brand new adventurers in a different campaign those PCs as PCs still have to solve the same puzzle again; because for those PCs it is the first ever encounter with that type of creature. That the players have done it before is irrelevant. Thus the challenge - and you're quite right when you suggest that it's a challenge - for the players is to role-play those PCs true to their (the PCs') level of knowledge...which, as this is the first-ever encounter, is likely just as limited as the first batch of PCs from the other campaign.

But what is the competition in your case? The challenge of beating the troll is not the central focus of the encounter, because the player is deliberately choosing to make sub-optimal action declarations.
The challenge isn't competitive in this case, it's how to remain true to your PC's knowledge level when you-as-player know more...and often this can and does lead to intentionally making some "sub-optimal" choices through trying to put yourself-as-player into a mindspace from a time when you didn't know what "optimal" was. It's hard. It's also essential, IMO.

But there is no genuine discovery here.
Not for the player, but there is for the PC.

The player already knows about trolls. The player even knows that, if it actually matters, his/her PC will learn about trolls, eventually, one way or another.
In theory, yes.

What is being discovered is how exactly the GM is going to gate that PC knowledge, and what sorts of steps will be required to open the gate.
In dry academic terms, I suppose so; though not all of us look at it that way. In the fiction it's a question of how much grief are the PCs going to face before they figure it out.

Trying to win a fight to the death in which my PC finds him-/herself is not treating the game as a game. It's playing my character.
But if you're using player knowledge over character knowledge then he's right: you're role-playing yourself rather than your PC.

What does seem to me to constitute treating the game like a game is declaring stuff I know are suboptimal while hoping to flick the GM "switch" that will allow me to use fire against the troll. That is, trying to identify and play out the right "script", rather than inhabiting my character. It could hardly get more game-playing than that!
Point taken, but IMO this is by far the lesser of two evils.

Aldarc

Legend
By bringing in player knowledge, it's no longer about PC vs. troll, it's player vs. game. It's what you know vs. what the game has in front of you.
Incidentally, player vs. game is a guiding tenet and point of identity for the OSR community. They largely agree this was the principle focus of the "old school D&D" era. And this is congruent with what [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] have said. I know that [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] also has experience with the OSR community and games, so he may also have some insight to shed on this issue as well.

This player vs. game approach also underlies the "Second Zen Moment" in Matthew Finch's "A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming," which became a rallying cry for rediscovering the old school play of OD&D, D&D B/X, and 1E among the OSR community.

Second Zen Moment: Player Skill, Not Character Abilities
Original D&D and Swords & Wizardry are games of skill in a few areas where modern games just rely on the character sheet. You don’t have a “spot” check to let you notice hidden traps and levers, you don’t have a “bluff” check to let you automatically fool a suspicious city guardsman, and you don’t have a “sense motive” check to tell you when someone’s lying to your character. You have to tell the referee where you’re looking for traps and what buttons you’re pushing. You have to tell the referee whatever tall tale you’re trying to get the city guardsman to believe. You have to decide for yourself if someone’s lying to your character or telling the truth. In a 0e game, you are always asking questions, telling the referee exactly what your character is looking at, and experimenting with things. Die rolls are much less frequent than in modern games.

Also: these games aren’t simulations of what a dwarf raised in a particular society, and having a particular level of intelligence, would do when faced with certain challenges. Old-style play is about keeping your character alive and making him into a legend. The player’s skill is the character’s guardian angel – call it the character’s luck or intuition, or whatever makes sense to you, but don’t hold back on your skill as a player just because the character has a low intelligence. Role-playing is part of the game, but it’s not a suicide pact with your character.
The last paragraph is particularly poignant to our present discussion. And this is again congruent with how story now-oriented gamers like pemerton, and Abdul Alhazred, and designer Luke Crane have described the play of "old school D&D" as well.

S'mon

Legend
These aren't good challenges. They are just "oh, look, you didn't bring salt, you can't defeat the giant leeches"

To me that looks like a good challenge, since it suggests various solutions such as "Run away" and "Run away then come back with salt". I'm very much in favour of 'Run Away - Live to Another Day' as a food solution to many challenges. :) Another good solution for stuff like static traps and slow moving monsters is 'Go Around It'. I like these because they are not pixel-bitching tactics, they should be fairly apparent to and useable by almost anyone who'd paying attention.

In my current Primeval Thule game, where there are not Balanced Encounters or Monster XP (I use a variant XP system), the default player solution seems to be "Make Friends With Monsters/Get
Control of the Monsters" - which has been a lot of fun. In the big battle in the game yesterday the PCs brought a menagerie to the battlefield:

2 Skeletal Cyclops
1 Beastwoman Curse-Chanter
1 Giant Guard Lizard

They routinely outnumber the opposition :D - and despite being generally well-underleveled for the adventures, tend to do very well.

pemerton

Legend
Earlier you were suggesting that if the player (but not the PC) had the requisite knowledge then there wouldn't even be a check; that the knowledge would be automatic.
Sorry, this is incoherent: it can't be the case both that something is automatically known to the PC, and that it is known to the player but not the PC. So I don't know what you're trying to say here.

if you're using player knowledge over character knowledge then he's right: you're role-playing yourself rather than your PC.
The point that I, [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] and others are making is that there is no reaosn to doubt that it is character knowledge. If the player imputes the knowledge to the character, then the player is using character knowledge.
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] is asserting that the rules of the game forbid the player from imputing such knowledge to a character, while asserting at the same time that there is no problem with imputing to the character knowledge of how to search for traps, look for secret doors, etc. My claim, in response, is that this distinction is arbitrary and without foundation except as a local table convention.

Were it me, a PC with a peasant background would very likely have a penalty on such a knowledge check, while a PC with an engineering background or any sort of Rogue/Thief training would have a bonus or even not require a check at all (potential bonuses would be looked at first and if any existed then any penalties would go away).
Knowledge checks don't come into it. In the AD&D, B/X other D&D rules, a player doesn't need to make a knowledge check in order to declare that his/her PC searches for secret doors, or that s/he is tapping the floor looking for pressure plates.

My point is that it is no more "metagaming" to declare that my PC had an uncle that taught her about trolls, than to take it for granted that my PC has had some experience or training that means s/he knows about the possibility of moving masonry, presssure plates, and the like. (And when I say "my point", really I mean [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION]'s point.)

when next those players run out a posse of brand new adventurers in a different campaign those PCs as PCs still have to solve the same puzzle again; because for those PCs it is the first ever encounter with that type of creature. That the players have done it before is irrelevant. Thus the challenge - and you're quite right when you suggest that it's a challenge - for the players is to role-play those PCs true to their (the PCs') level of knowledge

<snip>

The challenge isn't competitive in this case, it's how to remain true to your PC's knowledge level when you-as-player know more...and often this can and does lead to intentionally making some "sub-optimal" choices
I don't think you're really engaging with what I'm saying about the monster with the puzzle immunity/vulnerability.

Puzzles aren't interesting because the PCs solve them. I mean, I could sit back and have the GM regale me with a story about how my PC solves such-and-such a puzzle, but that wouldn't make for good RPGing. Puzzles are interesting because people at the table engage with them.

What you're saying, in the quote just above, is that the challenge of the puzzle is replaced with a challenge of playing your PC subobtipmally until the GM lets you "flip the switch". What I'm saying is that that is insipid roleplaying that alienates the player from the character. Instead of inhabiting my character and playing him/her to the hilt, I'm playing a game of "persuade the GM".

In the fiction it's a question of how much grief are the PCs going to face before they figure it out.
But, to repeat, I could experience that story having the GM just narrate it to me. But RPGing is meant to be more than that. At the least, it's meant to be involve the players figuring things out.

trying to put yourself-as-player into a mindspace from a time when you didn't know what "optimal" was. It's hard. It's also essential, IMO.

<snip>

Point taken, but IMO this is by far the lesser of two evils.
Essential to what? And what "evils"?

The basic "pitch" for roleplaying is you can be a hero trying to change, maybe save, the world. How does it get so changed to become pretend to be a hero who doesn't know yet how to change, or save, the world?

pemerton said:
But there is no genuine discovery here.
Not for the player, but there is for the PC.
When [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] talks about "discovery", he is not talking about imaging one's PC learning something that one already knows. He's talking about a real thing that actually happens at the table: the participants in the game learning new things about the shared fiction.

Incidentally, player vs. game is a guiding tenet and point of identity for the OSR community. They largely agree this was the principle focus of the "old school D&D" era. And this is congruent with what [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] have said. I know that [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] also has experience with the OSR community and games, so he may also have some insight to shed on this issue as well.

I am just one point of view, and there are much better people at explaining the OSR than me. All I will say is OSR, at this point, is not so easily boiled down to one thing. It is a spectrum of views. I think it leans to challenging the player (though I have absolutely seen OSR people raise concerns about split between character and player knowledge---you can take either view and be old school in my view). I think the chief, governing, viewpoint though is: does this work in practice on a weekly basis (preferably in a long term campaign). Also I think OSR folks tend to eschew anything that feels like RPG theory (especially if they are reductionist or if the terminology and categorization seems to drain all the life and magic out of what is going on at the table). So even a categorization of 'player vs. game', would be one, even if accurate, would make many OSR adherents wince I believe. Perhaps I am wrong though. Again, just one point of view here. And I tend to have one foot in the OSR, one foot in more new school stuff.

Sadras

Legend
So we have a couple of choices as DMs

1) DM Say Yes - characters know about the trolls vulnerabilities;
2) Player provides in-game fiction which allows characters to know about the trolls vulnerabilities;
3) DM instructs players to make a check to see what they know and then roleplay accordingly;
4) Characters are considered not to know of troll vulnerabilities. This lack of knowledge and possible discovery about Troll lore is roleplayed out during the combat adhering to the table's internal consistency;
5) Combination of 3 and 4; or
6) None of the above is necessary, metagame/player knowledge trumps in character knowledge.

I have played/used 1,3, 4 and 5. These days it is 1 and 3 given the characters levels at my table.
I quite like 2 for future games.
6 is too meta for my tastes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I have no idea where you're pulling this from. Self-evidently you're not describing your own opinion of the situation. And you're not describing anything that I, or [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], or [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] has suggested. So whose game, whose play, do you think you're pointing to here.

There is no way a player, in 4e, can establish a background element that obliges the GM to tell the player stuff that the GM knows without requiring a knowledge check. That I have an adventuring uncle might be a bit of backstory that explains why I know about trolls. It might also explain why I have training in Dungeoneering. It can't oblige the GM to tell about the weakness or immunities of Gricks if I don't already know, and I don't make a successful Dungeoneering check to gain knowledge about an Aberration.

I suspect that 5e defaults to much the same working as 4e, but will let [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] elaborate if he cares to.

[MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] said that the DM is being a jerk if he doesn't allow the player to bring in the uncle for troll knowledge, since the players are signaling that they don't want to jump through the hoops of figuring out the troll's weakness. If that's so, then the DM is also being a jerk if he doesn't allow the player to bring in the same uncle for your unique monster, since they are equally signaling that they don't want to jump through the hoops of figuring out your monster's weakness. The same logic applies to both situations.

In know version of D&D that I'm familiar with can a player, in virtue of a background about his/her adventuring uncle, oblige the GM to provide information about the weaknesses of monsters that the PC encounters.

In no version of D&D is a player entitled to a unilateral background. 3e was probably the most forgiving in that regard, but 4e states that the DM should work with the players on their backgrounds so that they fit the story the DM has in mind. In 5e backgrounds are pre-written. In 1e the DM chose them for the players. And so on.

What no edition allows, though, is for the addition of background after play has started, such as when you encounter a troll. Even 3e talks about it as something provided at character creation.

First point: it's not metagame knowledge if the PC also knows it. Which is what I, [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] (at least - maybe other posters also) are positing. You are asserting that the PC doesn't/can't know it, but no one else currently posting in this thread on this topic seems to agree with you.

I have had others agree with me that adding in background right as you encounter something to gain advantage against it is hinky(cheating). I have also had others agree with me that the PC doesn't just automatically get to know what the player knows. Those are my assertions.

Numidius

Adventurer
By bringing in player knowledge, it's no longer about PC vs. troll, it's player vs. game. It's what you know vs. what the game has in front of you.

Frankly, I find this weird. More so in light of a system like D&D.
Sounds way more "narrativey, storygamey" than a fancy indie game, considering that all of it is played solely under table/Gm consensus, in practice: freeform.

Like: that one, unique, thing that keeps the table together, is utterly made up and not present in the rulebook.
Which is cool, absolutely ice-box, but not 'the game' as is, (just) your particular game at your table, under Gm authority and table consensus.

When [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] talks about "discovery", he is not talking about imaging one's PC learning something that one already knows. He's talking about a real thing that actually happens at the table: the participants in the game learning new things about the shared fiction.

Yeah.

This line of conversation has borderline unnavigable for myself.

When I’m talking about Discovery and Competition I have a particular meaning that doesn’t appear to be relatable to some.

It’s central to player and mediated through a particular game’s principles and play priorities/goals. Competition is going to mean something slightly (or significantly) different in 4e than it does in Torchbearer than it does in Dogs in the Vineyard than it does in My Life With Master. But fundamentally it’s going to mean players advocating for their PCs as vigorously as they can as mediated through the PC build aspects, the resolution mechanics, and the reward cycles...all as a coherent expression of the game’s premise (eg, some games you actually WANT your PC to struggle in thematic conflict...and you’re rewarded for it; this is also Competition as it’s a representation of your skill in advocating for your PC, which isn’t just on the singular axis of attaining bigger numbers but can also mean change via failure, against the obstacles set before it). The last part is a BIG ONE. If the game’s premise isn’t coherently expressed by all of the other stuff I mentioned, then there is going to be some weird results now and again (sometimes a lot more often).

And, in line with Competition, Discovery is about the player finding new things out (as a child might) about character (their own and others) and setting as they advocate for their PC (as above) in engagements with situations that challenge them thematically.

Remove ads