[New DM Question] What about Simultaneous Movement?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No - moving is given as an example of a readied action in the phb and dash gives extra movement equal to your speed, it does not ×2 your speed. This helps avoid stacking issues eg if someone dashes and also has a bonus action that can be used to dash - with 30' movement that makes 30+30+30 = 90' total movement.

Edit: If the 'problem' is that a 30' speed character can't move 60' with a Readied action, well yes that's true and intentional. You can move 30' on your turn, Ready, then move 30' again as a Readied action though.

Yes, you can ready a move as I said upthread I believe. But readying a Dash does nothing since it does not allow you to move.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yes, you can ready a move as I said upthread I believe. But readying a Dash does nothing since it does not allow you to move.

The way I'm reading it, since you can move and then ready as your action and that readied action can be moving your movement rate, this really seems like a distinction without a difference. In both cases, you move twice your movement rate, the same thing you'd get if you moved and dashed - except you took that latter move as a readied action. If you could simply treat Dash as a second helping of your movement rate and ready it and called it a duck - well readying to move look and sounds an awful lot like that duck.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The way I'm reading it, since you can move and then ready as your action and that readied action can be moving your movement rate, this really seems like a distinction without a difference. In both cases, you move twice your movement rate, the same thing you'd get if you moved and dashed - except you took that latter move as a readied action. If you could simply treat Dash as a second helping of your movement rate and ready it and called it a duck - well readying to move look and sounds an awful lot like that duck.

Are you sure you can move and Ready a move, if the readied move exceeds your normal speed?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Are you sure you can move and Ready a move, if the readied move exceeds your normal speed?

Speed is determined as per round, so technically no. However, you've not actually using your movement for the... movement, so technically yes?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

"First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will trigger in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it." That means you can clearly move your speed as a readied action. And there's no restriction inherent in the Ready action to prevent you from moving before it. So, yeah, I'd say you can exceed your normal speed by readying it and, effectively, taking it as your action - kind of like Dash allows you to spend your action for more movement.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
"First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will trigger in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it." That means you can clearly move your speed as a readied action. And there's no restriction inherent in the Ready action to prevent you from moving before it. So, yeah, I'd say you can exceed your normal speed by readying it and, effectively, taking it as your action - kind of like Dash allows you to spend your action for more movement.

That sounds reasonable, but I'd have to further review the rules for movement to determine whether the Ready rule is an exception to the limitations of movement.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That sounds reasonable, but I'd have to further review the rules for movement to determine whether the Ready rule is an exception to the limitations of movement.

I’m pretty sure it works. The Ready action is pretty much the only place where movement in combat is refrenced that doesn’t frame it in terms of how far you can move on your turn.

Remove ads