Playing at Level 20?

S'mon

Legend
The biggest thing I've noticed at the highest levels is that it is actually easy to build an encounter that kills PC's.

I've noticed that just a few giants can do obscene amount of damage even to PCs with a decent AC. My son attacked 3 fire giants with his dragonborn Bbn-19 expecting an easy fight, and got a major ass-whupping :D

Tormyr

Adventurer
I was wondering how often do GMs give out Epic Boons?
When I had an individual PC hit 20 in my sandbox Wilderlands game, he got EBs for:

1. At BBn-19 he soloed Kainos Warbringer, a CR 25 demigod son of Ares-Bane - hit BBn-20 and my son persuaded me it was so outrageous the PC (not his) should get an EB too.
2. Finally killing Borritt Crowfinger, the (recently turned Lich, CR 21 + minions) BBEG Prince of the Black Sun who'd been the main villain for 7 years of play.
3. Soloing Matriarx, a CR 21 ancient black dragon - though that was a bit of a kerbstomp battle.

I've been looking at how I should give out EBs in my Runelords campaign with a bunch of PCs at 20th likely long before the finale. Soloing a CR 21+, and completing a major quest, seem like two possibilities. I'm not very keen on tracking XP-for-boons, it feels like it should need something, well, 'Epic'. :)

In my 5e Age of Worms campaign, I had the heroes attain 20th level halfway through chapter 11. When they finished chapter 11, they gained an epic boon as a sort of "level 21" before starting the final chapter.

Remove ads