Variants/Subclass for a DPR Rogue

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Unfortunately your reply comes across as "I'm not seeing it since I'm playing so well" which implies things about my position I'd rather not focus on. Basically, you come across as arguing why I'm wrong.

Since you invited me to your thread, let's leave it at that. I'm sure you didn't invite me only to pick a fight.

Have a nice day
None of that is my intent. I should have been clearer, but I was trying to invite you to provide some sort of analysis of the numbers showing the sort of incredible damage deficit you're seeing, because we can't really get anywhere if we don't even have a common starting point. It may be that the difference between our games means that a single subclass or variant feature can't provide a strong DPR lurker experience for both of us that is balanced in both our games, or it may be that we aren't as far apart as it seems. I've no clue which it is, as of right now.

Suggestion

Create a feat
  « killer instinct. »
You can use your sneak attack with any kind of weapon including unarmed attack or improvised weapon.
You can sneak more than once per turn but after the first use you deal only half your usual number of dice.
I'd rather not put class specific feats into the game, but that might be a simple way to build a subclasses primary feature.

I keep struggling to find ways of offering useful suggestions, but the ideas just aren't meshing. The idea of making a rogue just to boost it's already formidable damage is just a weak source of inspiration.
That isn't the piont of the thread, which I've explained multiple times. It isn't presented as the point of the thread in the OP. The point is to make a rogue that isn't 90% out of combat focused, for rogue players in combat heavy campaigns. None of my suggestions make a rogue that is entirely combat focused, either. It's still the most out of combat capable non-spellcaster in the game, even with all my preliminary suggestions turned on.

If the thing I didn't suggest doesn't spark inspiration, maybe the things I did say will. Like, "skull cracking leg breaker", "scary enforcer that frightens and has advantage in and out of combat against frightened creatures", or "brutally efficient killer who [mechanical shorthand for using a wider set of weapons to kill things with underhanded tactics]".

A lot of the mechanical ideas I threw out in the OP are damage related, because that is the deficit mechanically for players that want to play rogues in more combat focused games. They aren't wrong about DnD. The game won't blow up in their faces if the skill god class is 10% more combat focused.

A Strength rogue is interesting, but does run afoul into barbarian multiclassing territory.
I assume you mean that it will work as a multiclass build. OK? I don't think that's inherently broken, so let's talk about how to make it work. What pitfalls are you actually anticipating there?

And, really, there's very little stopping you from making a Strength rogue already. You can take rapier and hit with it off strength. The problem is Dex is just better than Strength, boosting AC, the most useful save in the game, initiative, and a robust skill list. Especially while limited to light armour.
A Str focused rogue is always going to be MAD as heck, and thus inoptimal.
And is there something wrong, in your view, with options that make a Str focused rogue not fall behind other rogues? Not being facetious or rhetorical.

When considering a Str rogue, it feels less like it should be about extra damage and more about being tough and intimidating. The thug or brute.
Using Str instead of Charisma for Intimidation. Being able to frighten foes. Demoralize on a hit. Being able to take a hit and resist some damage. That said, being able to sneak attack with clubs and maces (possibly adding it's Str bonus as extra damage with those weapons), might also be nice; this last bit would give a small spike of damage, but it'd almost be offset by the smaller damage dice of the d6 mace vs a couple d8 rapiers and the fact the class needs another decent Ability Score.
So, you agree with the bulk of my suggestions on building an enforcer rogue. I wouldn't limit it to staves and clubs, but rather include longswords (still less damage than two rapiers, comparable to two shortswords), spears, handaxes, and probably a couple others.

Still musing on the idea of a "Master Thrower" rogue build, that focuses on hurlling lots of daggers. Or stones for halflings, or axes for dwarves. Just lots of projectiles.
as long as "for halflings/dwarves" you don't mean only for them, yeah. Agreed.

Again, likely as simple as allowing them to draw a weapon with the action used to throw it, and throwing an extra off-hand dagger whenever they take the Attack action. This could/should work with the existing two-weapon fighting rules where you can make a bonus off-hand attack, so the rogue can huck three daggers or two and disengage or do another stupid rogue trick. Maybe also knocking up the range of thrown weapons.
We agree on most of that, though I think it's simpler to just let them treat thrown weapons as ranged weapons, and I don't think you can give them both that and extra attacks, unless the extra attack is their capstone. Still, this is getting somewhere.

I could also see this being an overall ranged rogue, with a choice at level 3 between getting bow goodies or thrown weapon goodies, and a second level 3 feature that applies regardless, that ignores disadvantage on ranged attacks while in melee. A bit like the totem barbarian, mechanically.

(But this likely wouldn't bring the rogue up above the maximum DPR of a greatweapon fighter with feats. But would make the rogues average damage higher by reducing the chances of misses).
However, higher level features for a "master thrower" subclass feel like they should be focused around trick shots more than damage.
Looking at a lot of the other rogue subclasses, the capstone needs to have strong combat power, not just utility, but I'm fine with just about any expression of that, as long as it's a significant boost, on part with what Theif, Arcane Trickster, and Swashbuckler, get. Or on par with what Assassin gets in games that actually allow the assassin to play how a player who chooses the assassin in order to play a lethal killer wants it to play.

Kinda. But right in the OP you talk about dropping Expertise for more damage.
I explicitly don't do that. I suggest shifting Expertise to be half about skills and half about combat.

I can't support that design where you get to pick-and-choose what pillar your options support.
It'd be equally terrible if you could drop all your combat powers for social and exploratory options.
I agree. I don't understand why you keep making this counter argument to an argument I've never made.

Sneak attack was backstab before 3e, which did require sneaking.
I remember having massive minotaur rogue barbarians "sneak attacking" with greataxes in 3e, and it was always silly. I'd rather avoid that returning.
There's also not a lot of flavour behind the "rogue" with a giant two-handed glaive. What's the story there?
Respectfully, I don't care at all, and I will never care at all, about tradition. Ever. AFAIC, the fact that it used to be backstab is completely irrelevant to a discussion about how it should work now.

Beyond that, it's moot, anyway. It already very much is not backstab. That ship sailed 20 years ago. It's gone. It made port in the OSR archipelago, where it is very welcome and loved and well cared for. IMO, we are better of without it.

Having said all that, what's the story with any weapon?

Most importantly, why do you keep using greataxes when I've already reiterated that greataxes aren't even on the table? If you've the same problem with glaives on a rogue, use that, since it was one of my examples in the OP. It'd difficult for me to want to engage with your point when you make it by hyperbolising with the use of an example that I've already said isn't on the table.

Plus, what's the benefit of granting rogues longswords? They can already use rapiers, which are comparable in damage.
Restrictions require greater need than allowance, IMO. What is the benefit of not allowing them?

I can't think of a way to phrase it without explicitly calling out the feats, which would be awkward. 9/quote] In a reply to someone else, I adressed this. Something along the lines of (and don't nitpick my wording, please, because I'm not going to bother trying to write it out like actual rules text right now) "when you use a [class feature] weapon to make an attack with Sneak Attack, you cannot also benefit from any feature that requires a two handed weapon, heavy weapon, or a reach weapon." I don't actually think there is any need whatsoever to keep rogues away from PAM, but for the sake of moving things forward, I included it.

I meant that, like 4e, some of the flavour of names hangs very loose on the bones of class features.
You can easily take the swashbuckler and rename its abilities and play it very differently. There's nothing that says you have to maintain the flavour of the subclass for your character.

So I don't see much need for a brand new subclass that is the swashbuckler only it's "about ruthless efficacy rather than flair and panache" when it takes 10 seconds to just tweak the swashbuckler.
Fancy Footwork becomes Quick Retreat and Rakish Audacity becomes Cruel Confidence. Elegant Maneuver becomes Maximum Effort.
The only real problem is Panache. But it's a 5-second fix to swap Persuasion for Intimidation and have charmed creatures not regard you as a "friendly acquaintance" but are instead "cowed into servility".
That would do none of the things I've talked about wanting such a class to do. The actual mechanics of those features don't lend themselves at all to what I'm talking about. Why would such a class get a charisma bonus of all things to initiative? At most, you could perhaps change it to another stat, but why bother?
Why is it slippery and difficult to pin down by shutting down opportunity attacks? Why isn't it knocking down it's enemies instead, or blinding them, or forcing them back, or using a reaction to make their missed attack deal half damage to a creature within 5ft of the rogue as the rogue swaps places with the attacker? or any number of other things that actually support the archetype?

Sure, if I were trying to play this character in a campaign tomorrow, and didn't like the flavor of the swashbuckler, I could kludge a workable solution out of it. That isn't what this thread is about, though.

Which feels more like it should just be an optimization guide. "Here's how you build a kickass rogue".

I guess I don't see the point, really.
The rogue is good at damage. Really good. It's not number #1, but there has to be a second place. There's no way to get perfect parity between all the classes, and designing something explicitly to slip it into the #1 slot is just pure unfiltered power creep.
Because if you do that for the rogue, why not also then do it for the ranger or the warlock or the barbarian. But then the rogue's not #1 anymore so you need to boost it as well.

And we've come back to the beginning. Why even bother with the first post in this thread, if you literally don't even see the point in the basic premise of the thread? You aren't going to convince me with a dismissive quip that I'm wrong about DnD, so what did you hope to achieve?

I and many others disagree with the idea that the rogue is in the top tier or damage dealers, much less second place. The stuff about warlocks and whatever is pure hyperbolic distraction.

And here I was thinking that you'd come around to actually wanting to engage with the premise of the thread.

That isn't the piont of the thread, which I've explained multiple times. It isn't presented as the point of the thread in the OP. The point is to make a rogue that isn't 90% out of combat focused, for rogue players in combat heavy campaigns.
90%??For out of combat, rogues get Expertise and Reliable Talent—which can be useful in combat, depending on positioning and terrain—and Thieves' Cant. Everything else is only useful in combat. 9 of their 12 class features are solely combat focused. The class is 75% dedicated to combat. Now, if you want an entirely combat focused subclass, that's trickier, as by design the 9th and 13th level features are non-offensive. But they could be defensive. But even then, the rogue already has Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Right, a subclass that doesn’t rely on stealth for doing more damage than non-damage-focused subclasses of the class. That isn’t the same thing as not using stealth.

So you said you want a subclass that "hits harder and avoids jumping out the dark or putting on disguises," and expect people to interpret 'avoids jumping out the dark' as 'does use stealth a lot, but specifically doesn't use it for doing more damage than the other subclasse'. You might want to work on your phrasing if you want constructive answers.

Seriously? Personal attacks? That’s unnecessary.

Yes, I think that "Seriously did you just skim the OP?" was unneccessary and wholely douchetastic as a response. If you're thin skinned enough to take that as "personal attacks", maybe you should avoid firing off insulting lines like that.

Setting that aside, you didn’t indicate any desire to understand what the OP was about, but instead indicated nothing more than a desire to thread crap.

I asked about the specific mention of a 'thug' archetype which you stated you feel was missing from the game. I wasn't asking anything directly about the OP, but instead was asking about the specific post that I quoted. At first it seemed like you might have some interesting ideas, but at this point if you do they're buried behind your excessive antagonism that I have no desire to find them.

doctorbadwolf

90%??For out of combat, rogues get Expertise and Reliable Talent—which can be useful in combat, depending on positioning and terrain—and Thieves' Cant. Everything else is only useful in combat. 9 of their 12 class features are solely combat focused. The class is 75% dedicated to combat. Now, if you want an entirely combat focused subclass, that's trickier, as by design the 9th and 13th level features are non-offensive. But they could be defensive. But even then, the rogue already has Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.

4 skills, the most important tool, 4 expertise skills, reliable talent, and Cunning Action is just as much out of combat as combat, then we have the subclasses, which are at least half utility, even in the case of the more combat focused archetypes.

doctorbadwolf

So you said you want a subclass that "hits harder and avoids jumping out the dark or putting on disguises," and expect people to interpret 'avoids jumping out the dark' as 'does use stealth a lot, but specifically doesn't use it for doing more damage than the other subclasse'. You might want to work on your phrasing if you want constructive answers.

Incorrect. I said,

which thematically should be a tougher, stronger, less flashy, more brutal, rogue. Someone that just hits harder, mercilessly, without any BS with jumping out the dark or putting on disguises.

The last part is very obviously in reference to the first part. I explicitly said it hits harder without stealth and disguises. Not a word about not using either at all. Nor about "does use stealth a lot". As with any rogue other than the Assassin, it would be up to the player whether they even train Stealth, Deception, or the Disguise Kit. An enforcer might well like to sneak up on people, or they might not bother with it. The concept shouldn't rely on those mechanics to deal extra damage. Seriously, I wasn't unclear on this, you just skimmed through and then replied dismissively.

Yes, I think that "Seriously did you just skim the OP?" was unneccessary and wholely douchetastic as a response. If you're thin skinned enough to take that as "personal attacks", maybe you should avoid firing off insulting lines like that.
Asking if you just skimmed the OP isn't an insult, or an attack. "douchematic" and "douchetastic" are. The fact that you're calling me thin skinned, after your over-sensitivity fueled, angry, ranting, replies to me is...the most hilarious of ironies.

I asked about the specific mention of a 'thug' archetype which you stated you feel was missing from the game. I wasn't asking anything directly about the OP, but instead was asking about the specific post that I quoted. At first it seemed like you might have some interesting ideas, but at this point if you do they're buried behind your excessive antagonism that I have no desire to find them.

The post in which I reiterated the premise of the OP? Okay, dude. "Excessive antagonism" is, again, pretty rich coming from you. :D

So, some folks are disappointed that the 5e rogue is not focused on DPR, while others are happy that the Rogue basically auto-wins at skill stuff, and are satisfied with moderate damage output.

I am in a third camp. I love the 5e Rogue as it is, but would also love to see a DPR focused subclass and perhaps some options for variant class features that support a more 4e style "kill stuff like a rad killing machine" rogue.

For my part, if I were to redesign 5e, the only class that I would not change at all would be Rogue. I think it has, by far, the best overall class design of the entire edition. Very few of the abilities have wonky rest mechanics involved in refreshing them. They all just work. Unlike Champion Fighter, your abilities aren't even all passive.

I'm not interested in adding class features, unless it's going to be a ribbon or something like that. In general, let's keep a similar total power level to the PHB.
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] I know you're more in the "the rogue just isn't good, overall" camp, but I'd love to hear any thoughts you have that are within the scope of the brief above.

My preliminary thoughts, in very rough draft, are:

Subclass:

There is room, here, for a strength rogue.
  • Expanded weapon list that works with Sneak Attack, including glaive, longsword, any one handed weapon or versatile weapon.
  • Your attacks that qualify for Sneak Attack deal extra damage equal to your Strength mod.
  • Once per short rest, you can deal Sneak Attack damage a second time per turn.
  • Level 9, gain Extra Attack
  • 13th, add Str mod as a bonus on all Dex checks and saves? too much for 13? 13 tends to be more utility, rather than power.
  • 17th, gotta be big. SA on every attack for 1 minute, 1/rest? Auto-crit 1/rest? Max SA damage when you crit? Expanded Crit Range?

Honestly, this is extremely close to Assassin. I would consider a Revised Assassin or Bandit sub-class.

1. Add martial weapon proficiency, medium armor, and shields to the bonus proficiencies at 3rd.

2. Assassinate covers the damage boost. If you want, you could change it to once per short rest since you're unlikely to have the Dex to aid it.

3. Change the Assassinate ability to only work on attacks that use Strength. Note that this introduces MAD, but it's exactly what you're asking for above.

4. Replace the Infiltration Expertise ability at 9th with Extra Attack. This is against subclass design as level 9 is pretty clearly intended to be a non-combat ability. However, 9th level is super late for this ability, and we have to work within the game's design.

5. Whatever the class gets at 13th, it absolutely cannot be a combat ability.

6. I'd leave Death Strike as-is, but change it to a Str based save.

Alternatively, what about a swordsman subclass that is about ruthless efficacy rather than flair and panache?
  • Maneuver dice, or expanded crit range and extra dice on crits?
  • Maneuver dice are pretty obvious in what they'd do, but also....meh. play a dex battlemaster with the skilled feat? We don't need direct overlap here, I don't think.

Yeah, this just sounds like a Fighter to me. I mean, 90% of what you want could be gained by multiclassing to Fighter or Barbarian for 5 levels. Hunter (Ranger) 5 with Colossus Slayer would even add the damage you're missing. It's just too bad that Ranger is so lackluster.

Variant Features:

• Deadly Expertise (replace expertise): You gain 1 skill or tool expertise, and you add your proficiency bonus to all damage rolls with weapon attacks that would qualify for Sneak Attack. At level 6, you gain another skill or tool expertise, and you crit on a 19 or 20 when your attack would qualify for Sneak Attack.
  • Terrible Efficacy (replace reliable talent): When you roll a 5 or lower on an ability check that allows you to add your proficiency bonus, you instead treat it as having rolled a 6. Whenever you miss by 5 or less with an attack that would qualify for Sneak Attack, you deal half of your Sneak Attack damage, and cannot benefit from Sneak Attack again this turn.

I think both of these completely break the "let's keep a similar total power level to the PHB" rule. Expertise and Reliable Talent are intentionally minimally useful in combat. I also don't like the idea of having abilities that trigger when you could sneak attack but don't count as sneak attack so they work on multiple attacks. That just feels extremely cheesy.

doctorbadwolf

For my part, if I were to redesign 5e, the only class that I would not change at all would be Rogue. I think it has, by far, the best overall class design of the entire edition. Very few of the abilities have wonky rest mechanics involved in refreshing them. They all just work. Unlike Champion Fighter, your abilities aren't even all passive.
Perfectly reasonable.

Honestly, this is extremely close to Assassin.
The Assassin is an unreliable nova-killer. I’d like something closer to the scout or swashbuckler, but simpler and less dependent on “gimmick” mechanics.

Yeah, this just sounds like a Fighter to me.
With respect, I’m not interested in “just multiclass” as an alternative to a new option.

I think both of these completely break the "let's keep a similar total power level to the PHB" rule. Expertise and Reliable Talent are intentionally minimally useful in combat. I also don't like the idea of having abilities that trigger when you could sneak attack but don't count as sneak attack so they work on multiple attacks. That just feels extremely cheesy.
I disagree entirely on the point that those abilities aren’t useful in combat. They are extremely so. A rogue that isn’t using skills in combat isn’t playing a rogue well, in combat, IMO. They’re directly shorting themselves of significant combat prowess. Thieves especially, but all rogues can gain double movement or try to hide as a bonus action.

That isn't the piont of the thread, which I've explained multiple times. It isn't presented as the point of the thread in the OP. The point is to make a rogue that isn't 90% out of combat focused, for rogue players in combat heavy campaigns. None of my suggestions make a rogue that is entirely combat focused, either. It's still the most out of combat capable non-spellcaster in the game, even with all my preliminary suggestions turned on.
I think that this might be the source of the disconnect that you're having with a lot of the people trying to help you. Unless its just hyperbole, where is that 90% figure coming from? Most of the class abilities are directly combat-focused or usable in combat. The rogue is more capable out of combat than the other martial classes, but it currently isn't paying much in the way of combat capability to do so.
Its close enough that adding more combat power would risk putting it over the more dedicated combat types, while still also being better out of combat.

Maybe some details about the specific game or group that this subclass will be used in might help. Is there a lot of optimisation? Feats and/or multiclassing? Is there much/any Social and/or exploration pillar or is it almost all combat?

And is there something wrong, in your view, with options that make a Str focused rogue not fall behind other rogues? Not being facetious or rhetorical.
The issues that they were pointing out are based on general game mechanics, not class abilities. As they point out, the easiest way to make Str matter more and reduce reliance on Dex to keep the character more competitive would be to grant Medium armour, but you already nixed that suggestion I believe.

So, you agree with the bulk of my suggestions on building an enforcer rogue. I wouldn't limit it to staves and clubs, but rather include longswords (still less damage than two rapiers, comparable to two shortswords), spears, handaxes, and probably a couple others.
I just removed the Finesse requirement for Sneak attack completely. I've yet to see any problems pop up due to that houserule. I doubt that expanding the weapons in a more limited fashion would create issues.

I explicitly don't do that. I suggest shifting Expertise to be half about skills and half about combat.
Expertise is already usable in combat. I think that the only way to make it more usable would be to be able to add it to more combat rolls, such as initiative, hit, or damage. Hit or damage might cause problems because you seem to be looking to add Str there.

I agree. I don't understand why you keep making this counter argument to an argument I've never made.
You're talking about removing the skill monkeying to become better in combat. The issue I see there is that most of the skill monkeying of the Rogue are base class features, not subclass capabilities.
However, since this is a homebrew subclass designed for a specific table, there is no reason that you can't actually remove base class features. - Which would allow removing some of the skill capabilities that make the Rogue so dominant in that area. Dropping the subclass to Champion-levels of out of combat capabilities would allow improvement to Champion-levels of combat capability. I think that currently the Rogue is only about 75-80% of their combat capability, so removing the extra skills, reliable talent and expertise should balance out a boost in DPR to bring them up to 95% ish for example.

And we've come back to the beginning. Why even bother with the first post in this thread, if you literally don't even see the point in the basic premise of the thread? You aren't going to convince me with a dismissive quip that I'm wrong about DnD, so what did you hope to achieve?

I and many others disagree with the idea that the rogue is in the top tier or damage dealers, much less second place. The stuff about warlocks and whatever is pure hyperbolic distraction.

And here I was thinking that you'd come around to actually wanting to engage with the premise of the thread.
They are still trying to help you out, they, are (just like myself and many others it appears) just having difficulty getting our heads around what you are asking for and how to mechanically express it in a balanced fashion.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don’t understand what is mysterious about it, though.
Why on earth would I play a fighter when I want to play a rogue? A dex fighter still ain’t a rogue. I’m sorry, but the above quoted text makes not the first bit of sense to me.

Yes, that's what we're trying to figure out. Why do you want to play a fighter - by your description of what they do - but play a rogue - by the name of a class.

So I'm trying to understand what "rogue" means to you. Because "more martial damage" is part of another class. And you can get a more damage rogue already by simply multiclassing the two.

you just said the same thing twice.

So you DID comprehend it! Liar, liar, pants on fire. :)

I'm saying this jokingly - the intensity of your response feels like someone responding to an attack. Which I wasn't trying to do. So I'm attempting to de-escalate.

I’m not going to go around in circles to avoid the convenient mechanical shorthand that we all already know.

This is a great arrow at the issue. We only think we have "convenient mechanical shorthand that we all already know." Because to me you are clearly mislabelling fighter mechanics as "rogue". So I was attempting to sidestep the mechanics.

Because I think that any general archetype you come up with that fits we can already build without the need to add any bloat to the system. It may not have "mechanic XYZ".

I also already did the thing that you’re asking, I just didn’t bother to eliminate all reference to mechanics from it, because there is no reason to do so. In the OP, I described a brutal enforcer or thug, and then talked about what sort of mechanics one expects from that archetype. It’s the same thing.

To me your original post is absolutely full of mechanics, starting with describing a specific class.

You’re also ignoring the part where this thread was explicitly started to create rogue options for people who want a rogue that works well in a combat heavy game, without losing its rogueish identity, and explicitly isn’t about me trying to build a specific character for a specific game.

I know I said I was trying to de-escalate, but please don't tell me what I ignored. I saw that you weren't trying to build a specific character and asked you to describe the archetype you were going for rather then a character concept.

You want not to lose it's "roguish identity" which is part of what I was asking you to explain, because to gain some "fighter identity" you MUST give up part of what you have to maintain balance. So understanding what type of archetype you want to play is it. "Everything a rogue has but more powerful in combat" isn't a description - everyone wants to be more powerful. But just like making a paladin a full caster would increase it's power without taking something away, we need to understand what you mean by "roguish identity" so we know what's afe to give up in exchange for the new power.

Even better if we can identify it more specifically so we can make it more flavorful at the same time.

Sorry if all that is a bit snarky, but it’s frustrating when things I explicitly said in the OP are being ignored.

Thanks for putting this, my first response was responding like I had just been attacked, and both of us there wouldn't have been able to have any decent conversation, just the ole' internet "you're wrong" shouts.

Remove ads