Completely Clueless about D&D - Where to start & character creation question

U

UsherBhai

Hello everyone,,
So, I have been wanting to play D&D for a while now and some coworkers at my new job said they're looking to start a new campaign and invited me! Only problem is I know basically nothing about D&D at all. Basically all of my knowledge is from listening to The Adventure Zone. I figured this would be a good place to start looking for info and get answers for a couple specific questions. I'll just list some below! Thanks in advance!

• What are some essentials that I should buy/apps I should download before getting started?
  • I sort of want to know more seasoned players' opinions on the most common/easily avoidable rookie mistakes.
  • Is there a difference in dice sets or would getting any basic dice set work for a beginner?
  • In your opinion, what's the most important thing to keep in mind when starting for the first time ever?
  • Is there a good way to like (Mod Edit: Spam Links Removed ~Umbran) "practice" before actually getting into a long term campaign?
  • I'm using an online character builder to make my character that I am planning on using (making a tiefling rogue criminal) and a few of the phrases weren't explained in the creator (googling them actually led me to this subreddit!) and I couldn't quite figure out what they meant: Under background tools (which I'm pretty sure are the tools granted to me based on the background that I choose for my character) it says "thieves' tools duplicated in class and background" and I'm not sure what exactly that means because it gives me a dropdown list of options like alchemists' supplies, carpenter's tools, etc.

Again, thanks a million in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

S'mon

Legend
Welcome to the game! :)

Well my first bit of advice would be to do some reading before you go into electronic character building. I would recommend starting with the D&D Basic Rules - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules then buy a 5th edition Player's Handbook. If you are looking to GM you could buy the Starter Set, which is often only around $20. It includes dice and pregenerated characters. There are a lot more pregenerated characters at WoTC's site. And tons of advice for new players - http://dnd.wizards.com/ and click New to D&D at the top.

S'mon

Legend
[*]I'm using an online character builder to make my character that I am planning on using (making a tiefling rogue criminal) and a few of the phrases weren't explained in the creator (googling them actually led me to this subreddit!) and I couldn't quite figure out what they meant: Under background tools (which I'm pretty sure are the tools granted to me based on the background that I choose for my character) it says "thieves' tools duplicated in class and background" and I'm not sure what exactly that means because it gives me a dropdown list of options like alchemists' supplies, carpenter's tools, etc.

Rogues get Thieves' Tools Proficiency and in their starting equipment.
Criminal Background gets Thieves' Tools Proficiency - not in the Background starting equipment though.

My suspicion is you took Thieves Tools' Proficiency before selecting Criminal, thus annoying the software. It's best to have read a rule book (or the Basic Rules, or even just a wiki like https://www.5esrd.com/ ) before you mess with an electronic character builder.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
For the thieves tools, basically, if your background gives you a tool or skill and you already gain this from your race or class, then you are allowed to choose something else. In your case, the rogue class gave you thieves tools so you get to select some other tool instead. I'd suggest the forgery kit, it seems like something a criminal might use.

For dice, just by a basic set of dice. If you can find one that has a few extra d6s then grab those or buy a 3 more singles d6s from a gaming stores dice singles. The reason for this is that you often need more d6s than anything else, especially as a rogue when you gain more rogue levels you'll be rolling a few of them when you hit.

You probably don't really need to buy anything at the moment, but later on, you might want to buy the player's handbook. For now, you might want to use DnD Beyond and look through the combat section in the Basic Rules to at least familiarise yourself with them.

I don't know what the most important thing to keep in mind is, but have fun. DnD can be incredibly enjoyable if you get in with a good group.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think that most of your questions, are already answered except the common rookie mistakes. So I will give it a go. For the most part the others and the DM should be understanding of your newbieness. For the most part frame your actions in character, so "I want to sneak up on the guard by going through those bushes over there" and the DM will tell you what dice to roll.

However, thing will go much smoother if you familiarise yourself with a few numbers on the character sheet.

Initiative (Init.) -- Generally D20 + your Dexterity modifier.
Your attack roll -- Generally D20 + Proficiency Modifier + Strength Modifier: However, note that rogues often favour Dex over Str and there are finesse weapons that allow the use of the Dex mod on the attack roll instead of Str, so you might want to use one of those weapons.

For a rogue, your perception skill and passive perception as well as stealth and the rules around sneak attack.

Most of these numbers are pre-calculated on the character sheet (or should be) but note and familiarise yourself with where they are, so you can look them up with little delay.

ccs

41st lv DM
First off, Welcome to the game!

• What are some essentials that I should buy/apps I should download before getting started?

• In this order:
    The Players Handbook - asap
    A set of dice - asap
    a few extra 6 sided dice
    an extra 20 sided die of a different color
    a miniature
    a legal pad
    a clipboard
    a pack of pencils
    an extra eraser

[*]I sort of want to know more seasoned players' opinions on the most common/easily avoidable rookie mistakes.

*Don't get all stressed out about not knowing/remembering all the rules all at once. When something comes up & you/the group don't know the answers? Just pause the game & look it up.

*There's no set amount of stuff you have to get done during a session. So don't worry about having to pause to look something up. Or when you get sidetracked BSing about something....

*THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION between players as to who can do the most damage, have the highest stat, etc.
    Do not fall into the trap of thinking your character isn't as good as the other guys. Or not as good as whatever you read about on-line.

*It's really NOT necessary to crank your "primary" stat (Dex in the case of Rogues) up to 18-20 asap, at the expense of other options.
    But I expect you'll do so anyways....

*Not having the highest stat or modifier in some skill does NOT mean that you shouldn't ever attempt those roles.
    You gotta participate.

[*]Is there a difference in dice sets or would getting any basic dice set work for a beginner?

Any basic dice set will work. I favor easy to read ones myself....

[*]In your opinion, what's the most important thing to keep in mind when starting for the first time ever?

You gotta participate.

[*]Is there a good way to like "practice" before actually getting into a long term campaign?

Not really? :)
    As a group you might roll up one set of characters & play through an initial adventure to get the hang of the game & after that's done start the real campaign. (I hear the adventure that comes in the Basic box set is really good.)
    And if any of your characters die during that practice adventure? Then you should roll up something completely different so you can see how other stuff works.

[*]I'm using an online character builder to make my character that I am planning on using (making a tiefling rogue criminal) and a few of the phrases weren't explained in the creator (googling them actually led me to this subreddit!) and I couldn't quite figure out what they meant: Under background tools (which I'm pretty sure are the tools granted to me based on the background that I choose for my character) it says "thieves' tools duplicated in class and background" and I'm not sure what exactly that means because it gives me a dropdown list of options like alchemists' supplies, carpenter's tools, etc.

It means that both your class and background have provided you the same thing. There's no bonus for this.
    Rogues get thieves tools as part of the class.
    The criminal background (wich anyone can take) provides thieves tools.

akr71

Hero
#1 You don't need to know anything to play D&D for the first time. A good Dungeon Master (& good players at the table) will help you through it.

#2 Find time before the first session to sit with the DM and make your character together. I like to be present when my players make their characters, in case they have questions or want to make a controversial choice.

#3 Don't buy anything yet. Others have posted links to the free rules - read those. A month or 3 from now, if you are still borrowing dice and a Players Handbook, then maybe you should consider buying those items.

#4 Online tools - make a Twitch account, if you don't have one already. Go to https://www.dndbeyond.com/ and login there with your Twitch account. You can make 6 characters for free. After you've read the Ability Score section of the basic rules, go make some characters.

#5 I don't know how one would 'practice' D&D. Play and have fun. If you aren't having fun, maybe the game isn't for you or maybe you need a different group.

Make sure you bring a dice, pencil, paper, and your character sheet. The Player's Handbook should be your first big purchase. Either the physical copy or on DnD Beyond if you prefer digital stuff. I don't think there is anything wrong with putting off buying it until after you've played a couple of times. That way if you end up not liking the game, you haven't wasted the money. But, you seem pretty interested already, so I don't think this will be a problem.
Make sure your group knows you haven't played before, so they can help you out.
There isn't really any way to practice. You just need to play. Don't worry about it. Most people are awkward at roleplaying at first, but usually get used to it.
Mainly, just have fun. You're all in it together to have fun, so just try to relax and play the game.
I hope you have a good time. This is a great game.

jasper

Rotten DM
I am going to change CCS line up
Link to pregenerate pc
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...aracter_sheets
Basic rules srd from WOTC webside
A set of dice - asap
a few extra 6 sided dice
an extra 20 sided die of a different color
a legal pad
a clipboard
a pack of pencils
an extra eraser
The Players Handbook - asap
a miniature a piece of glass or penny will do.

I been playing 5E since 2016 and still make rookie mistakes.

Remove ads