[Sharktocrab] Sharktocrab

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Sharktocrab.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Sharktocrab-Ravnica-Allegiance-Art.jpg
His fly speed should be a swim speed instead, I whoopsed.

Bizarre Hybrids.
It is clearly a time honored tradition among wizards to combine animals into one mutant animal with the properties of both. Chimera, owl bear, dragon turtle, hippogriff, Jackalware, Kenku, all these and more number among the list of creatures or species which are rumored to have been created by a bored wizard semi-successfully combining two (or more!) perfectly good animals into one terrifying and/or bizarre one. But the biomancers of the Simic Combine take this obsession to a whole new level, and strange mutants like the sharktocrab are just one of the alarming and strange creatures that are the fruits of the Guardian Project, the Simic Guild's secret initiative to develop an army of adaptable superbeasts.

Part Shark, Part Crab, Part Octopus:
A sharktocrab is an enormous hammerhead shark with two massive pincers up front, eight tentacles protruding from the rear (usable for quick bursts of acceleration under water), and six legs to either side used for walking on land. The shark maw bites ferociously, while the tentacles or the pincers hold its next meal ready.

Conflicted Instincts: Mentally, a sharktocrab's brain is much like a shark's: they are apex predators, obligate carnivors, pure hunters, almost as ornery as owlbears. Crabs, on the other pincer, just want to be left alone and given their space, and would only fight to defend themselves, and an octopus' instinct is to drag its prey back to its undersea lair and consume it there (such pray including crabs for some species of octopuses). In spite of this, a sharktopus can coordinate its different appendages effectively when its life is threatened.

There. You're welcome. ...Sharktocrab.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm confused about the confusing property.

If I fail the save, I'm not further immune to the effect, so do I have to make another save every round that I'm looking at this monstrosity?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Haha, those crazy Simic are at it again.

Looking at the picture, are you sure that size large is large enough? It might be better off as huge (is that the next one after large?) I like all of the various attack effects, I think this would be a dangerous creature to fight but would make for a fun encounter.

For the confusing effect, how did you get the DC? I've always thought that monsters follow the standard DC = 8 + prof + some ability mod., but I could be wrong.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I'm confused about the confusing property.

If I fail the save, I'm not further immune to the effect, so do I have to make another save every round that I'm looking at this monstrosity?

No. You're just confused. You only make one save, when you first see a sharktocrab. If you fail it, you are confused, and there is no need to make further saves.

Looking at the picture, are you sure that size large is large enough? It might be better off as huge (is that the next one after large?) I like all of the various attack effects, I think this would be a dangerous creature to fight but would make for a fun encounter.

You're probably right. A huge version would have 10 ft. reach with its bite and pincers, more hp, and a slightly higher AC with better natural armor. I'd say (very, very approximately) a huge Sharktocrab would be around CR 9. I kind of miss the 3.5 rules for advancing monsters by hit dice. They'd be good for this as I'm sure that the Simic Combine has engineered large, huge, and maybe even colossal Sharktocrabs (and also maybe a Tiny one just for giggles).

For the confusing effect, how did you get the DC? I've always thought that monsters follow the standard DC = 8 + prof + some ability mod., but I could be wrong.

You're probably right. In this case I just made up the DC ad-hoc based on CR, because I couldn't figure out which ability modifier would apply to the confusion effect, nor do I know how monster proficiency bonuses are calculated.

Fun trivia, I didn't make up the "this thing looks so head-scratchingly weird that you need to save versus confusion just for seeing it" mechanic. That is an actual ability an actual published D&D monster has. I just can't remember which one off the top of my head, but it was around in 3.5 and probably earlier.

Explanation:

The reason I got back into D&D/got into D&D 5E is because I saw the Guildmaster's Guide To Ravnica and I got very excited that Wizards of the Coast were letting D&D sit at the big kids table with their real cash cow, MtG, and also they'd chosen one of the MtG settings I'm kind of a fan of. (Right now one of my standard decks is a Simic deck called "The Sharktocrats".)

I still haven't worked up the funds to actually buy the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, but if people are playing D&D in that setting, why not make stat-blocks corresponding to creature cards or even important NPCs? I don't know what they already statted out in the GGtR, but I knew that the Sharktocrab couldn't be in there because it was released with the Ravnica: Allegiance set which DEFINITELY came out after the Guildmaster's Guide. If I keep statting enough things from one of their games in another one of their games, maybe WotC (or at least someone) will notice me. As a byproduct of that, I'll be releasing a lot of free homebrew stuff in future. I've just given up on my Patreon (you can't get much more discouraging than one entire year with two subscribers one of which is my dad) but I'm going to try and set up a Ko-Fi in the near future once I'm releasing free stuff on a regular schedule.

(I think I'm eventually going to stat Niv Mizzet unless they already did.)

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No. You're just confused. You only make one save, when you first see a sharktocrab. If you fail it, you are confused, and there is no need to make further saves.

You're probably right. A huge version would have 10 ft. reach with its bite and pincers, more hp, and a slightly higher AC with better natural armor. I'd say (very, very approximately) a huge Sharktocrab would be around CR 9. I kind of miss the 3.5 rules for advancing monsters by hit dice. They'd be good for this as I'm sure that the Simic Combine has engineered large, huge, and maybe even colossal Sharktocrabs (and also maybe a Tiny one just for giggles).

You're probably right. In this case I just made up the DC ad-hoc based on CR, because I couldn't figure out which ability modifier would apply to the confusion effect, nor do I know how monster proficiency bonuses are calculated.

Fun trivia, I didn't make up the "this thing looks so head-scratchingly weird that you need to save versus confusion just for seeing it" mechanic. That is an actual ability an actual published D&D monster has. I just can't remember which one off the top of my head, but it was around in 3.5 and probably earlier.

Explanation:

The reason I got back into D&D/got into D&D 5E is because I saw the Guildmaster's Guide To Ravnica and I got very excited that Wizards of the Coast were letting D&D sit at the big kids table with their real cash cow, MtG, and also they'd chosen one of the MtG settings I'm kind of a fan of. (Right now one of my standard decks is a Simic deck called "The Sharktocrats".)

I still haven't worked up the funds to actually buy the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, but if people are playing D&D in that setting, why not make stat-blocks corresponding to creature cards or even important NPCs? I don't know what they already statted out in the GGtR, but I knew that the Sharktocrab couldn't be in there because it was released with the Ravnica: Allegiance set which DEFINITELY came out after the Guildmaster's Guide. If I keep statting enough things from one of their games in another one of their games, maybe WotC (or at least someone) will notice me. As a byproduct of that, I'll be releasing a lot of free homebrew stuff in future. I've just given up on my Patreon (you can't get much more discouraging than one entire year with two subscribers one of which is my dad) but I'm going to try and set up a Ko-Fi in the near future once I'm releasing free stuff on a regular schedule.

(I think I'm eventually going to stat Niv Mizzet unless they already did.)

I think the really weird, can't make sense of it thing was for some kind of demons, or maybe far realm stuff. I can't recall if the far realm was a big thing in 3e though. I also might be getting mixed up with some pathfinder demons. There has probably been plenty of things like it in the history of DnD.

Niv Mizzet is already statted up. I think he is the highest CR in the Ravnica book at CR 26. Still, don't let that stop you statting him. Make him and then compare when you get the book. Of course, there are plenty of other Simic creations that could have stats of their own...

What's the MTG card called?

Sharktocrab. It is a crazy Simic guild creature. They have a few weird creatures in the latest MtG set.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
What's the MTG card called?

SHARKTOCRAB!

Sorry, I assume you were setting me up for this considering that the thread prefix, thread title, and all of the body text of the main thread not meant to be in a stat block were each just the word "Sharktocrab".

ccs

41st lv DM
SHARKTOCRAB!

Sorry, I assume you were setting me up for this considering that the thread prefix, thread title, and all of the body text of the main thread not meant to be in a stat block were each just the word "Sharktocrab".

Nope, not setting you up for anything.
Beyond the super casual, super occasional game with decks that haven't seen a new card in almost 10 years I don't play MTG these days.
The last time I played a game was over a year ago. With people equelly distant from the game.

So unless you actually state what the cards name is I've no idea where the arts from.

Sadly, looking Sharktocrab up reveals a card that won't work in any of my decks. :(

Remove ads