D&D 5E Okay, hear me out... A MAD Paladin.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
So I had this thought. It was of a Paladin, but one that would froth at the mouth with righteous zeal.

That's right, I'm talking about multi-classing a Paladin into Barbarian, for the Path of the Zealot. I feel it could make some interesting flavor.

I HAD thought about going crazier and making it a dex build, so I could even have this Palbarian be unarmored and kicking ass, as I thought that made for cool imagery.

Obviously this would make the character quite MAD. I can live without having that dex build, but I thought, why not hear some thoughts from the community on this.

You people are pretty smart and I trust a lot of your opinions on character creation.

I am not looking for the most optimized build, obviously, but do want an effective and still dangerous in his own right, Palbarian.

So what are your thoughts on how this could be accomplished, what are the races you'd recommend or just the paladin subclass you think may pair best? What gear would you envision this character having? How far into each class do you think I should go, and should they be mixed in or just go for one, then the other without constantly switching back and forth each level?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I had this thought. It was of a Paladin, but one that would froth at the mouth with righteous zeal.

That's right, I'm talking about multi-classing a Paladin into Barbarian, for the Path of the Zealot. I feel it could make some interesting flavor.

I HAD thought about going crazier and making it a dex build, so I could even have this Palbarian be unarmored and kicking ass, as I thought that made for cool imagery.

Obviously this would make the character quite MAD. I can live without having that dex build, but I thought, why not hear some thoughts from the community on this.

You people are pretty smart and I trust a lot of your opinions on character creation.

I am not looking for the most optimized build, obviously, but do want an effective and still dangerous in his own right, Palbarian.

So what are your thoughts on how this could be accomplished, what are the races you'd recommend or just the paladin subclass you think may pair best? What gear would you envision this character having? How far into each class do you think I should go, and should they be mixed in or just go for one, then the other without constantly switching back and forth each level?

Extra attack is very important to melee builds unless you have some other feature that really scales damage (such as sneak attack or possible divine smite with mostly full caster levels). As such I recommend not delaying it by much. You should go more paladin or more barbarian and not split it. Much. My suggestion would be Barbarain 5 Paladin 2 + Full caster X for the extra spell slots. Take out of combat spells.

Start with 5 levels of barbarian. Add on the 2 paladin levels and then I'd recommend bard from there. Ritual Casting + lots of good out of combat spells + bardic inspiration + expertise is a win in my book. Alternatively if you want the "holy warrior theme" then divine soul sorcerer is okay but you lose a lot of the neat meta magic tricks you could otherwise do while raging.

Aim for 16 str 14 dex 14 cha 10-12 con.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Yes, I had a thought like that too. And I 100% agree on not wanting to get that extra attack quickly. My hope was the zealot strike from the Barbarian path, and some smites coming in could help ease the pain if you had to wait an extra level or maybe even two.

I hadn't thought of a third class, and that is something to think about. I agree that Bard would fit well in there. I think with Paladin and the Path of the Zealot, the holy warrior should be covered.

So that would be... a Bardladin? Anyhow, this whole time, I was thinking about like a half-elf. Born of two works, so the difference in classes seems more natural, and the mechanical benefits match up as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads