[5E] Interrupting a Spellcaster via Ready Action

Ristamar

Adventurer
You still would have used shield if they didn’t ready and just chose to attack. M And if misty step won’t protect you from readied attacks, it won’t protect you from normal attacks. And if your minions are worthless, then you are screwed. The readied action didn’t make this less challenging, it was already not very challenging to start with. Are you expecting to go through an encounter without using a single defensive spell?

I expect a caster to not have to worry about getting disrupted every encounter by potent ranged attackers.

I recognize that since we're now steeped in hypothetical scenarios and white room theorycrafting, no one is going to change their current stance. I'll bow out of this thread for those still interested in furthering productive discussion of the original topic.

I expect a caster to not have to worry about getting disrupted every encounter by potent ranged attackers.

I recognize that since we're now steeped in hypothetical scenarios and white room theorycrafting, no one is going to change their current stance. I'll bow out of this thread for those still interested in furthering productive discussion of the original topic.

Well, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not sure that straight up doing damage with a ranged weapon is going to be able to be able to disrupt a spellcaster. It's just as unlikely as shooting the fighter with an arrow is going to disarm his weapon.

If a player says, "I want to ready to prevent that guy from casting a spell" I will respond with, "sure, what do you do?"

Shooting them won't cut it. (no pun intended) Casting Silence might, if the triggering spell has a verbal component. Using a skill to disarm their material component might, if it has a material component. Readying to shoot will simply do damage right before the spell triggers.

I redacted my comment earlier that you could force a concentration check on a spell. I didn't redact my statement that you could interrupt actions or prevent actions given the appropriate counter-action.

The rules already include the feat « mage slayer » that can help manage this kind of situation.
The Dm can allow a pc to act as if he have the feat, for a special occasion.
But we know players, if a dm allow once, he will be ask to allow it next time, and the other next...
The art of dming is to allow exceptions and not been tied forever by those.

Yeah, and clerics, druids, and archetype casters can't Counterspell either. Basically, if you don't have a Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard in your party, you can't really hope to stop an enemy spellcaster from casting his spell.

Clerics and bards just use silence while the fighter grabs the caster. That should end the fight easily.

epithet

Explorer
The rules already include the feat « mage slayer » that can help manage this kind of situation.
But we know players, if a dm allow once, he will be ask to allow it next time, and the other next...
Mage Slayer can't interrupt a spell being cast, although if it is a concentration spell like Spirit Guardians you can wreck it before it has a chance to damage anyone.

Yeah, mage slayer is cool because it lets you use your reaction as an AoO on a spellcaster without needing to ready an action and risk losing your main action. On top of all the other cool stuff it does, like getting advantage on saving throws. So it's way more flexible than just readying, which makes it a great feat.

Mage Slayer can't interrupt a spell being cast, although if it is a concentration spell like Spirit Guardians you can wreck it before it has a chance to damage anyone.

Damned, you’re right!

But still.
Your player make its Bambi round wet eyes, and ask for a favor.
So as dm you allow an exception.
You look at counterspell, there is a dc.
But the fighter don’t have an spell casting ability, so you use intelligence as the default arcana ability.
So for this time you allow the player to make a int check to interrupt the spell.
The main problem remain, how to resist the Bambi eyes again and again!

epithet

Explorer
Damned, you’re right!

But still.
Your player make its Bambi round wet eyes, and ask for a favor.
So as dm you allow an exception.
You look at counterspell, there is a dc.
But the fighter don’t have an spell casting ability, so you use intelligence as the default arcana ability.
So for this time you allow the player to make a int check to interrupt the spell.
The main problem remain, how to resist the Bambi eyes again and again!

Yeah, that wouldn't happen to me. I wouldn't let a fighter make an arcana check to interrupt a spell, only to recognise that a spell was being cast. I'd let anyone, any time, make that check.

Remove ads