D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Nebulous

Legend
Why would you have any faith absent any information about the director, actors, plot, or anything else? There’s nothing to have faith in yet.

Still scarred from the original D&D movie :(. Hey, I thought I heard rumors a while back about a D&D cartoon? Did that get canned? I think that would be more fun than a movie, an actually high quality multi-season animated show.

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
On the contrary, I am being optimistic.

100% of past D&D movies have been crap. It is possible that this is because trying to make a D&D movie is a uniquely bad idea. However, I prefer to attribute these results to Sturgeon's Law and a small sample size. Thus, there remains a 10% chance that this movie will not be crap, and evidence specific to this movie (e.g., a top-notch writer or director) could improve those odds.

Yeah the sample size is VERY small...it’s 0. Other than being a movie and the same genre, this movie will in likliehood have next to nothing in common with the ONE previously theaterically release D&D film. They will be from different studios, different budgets, different technologies, different producers, different writers, different directors, and created and released into vastly different pop culture periods.

Comparing them is is about as useful as using Dragonheart’s terribleness as a predictor if this movie’s quality. Like I said cynicism without evidence. Not that I’m saying it will be good; just that we can’t make any predictions based on only a rumored release date.

Oofta

Legend
Selling well doesn't make a movie good from an "am I going to enjoy this movie?" standpoint. I mean, The Hobbit movies made a lot of money and, while they had some potentially good ingredients, they were really drowned under the desire to bloat out one novel into three movies. There are also acclaimed movies such as The Princess Bride which didn't sell well but instead took off later, although I don't know if that's a property of the time when it came out.

LOL. Just because the haters didn't like it doesn't prove everyone else wrong. If The Last Jedi and The Hobbit were failures, it's a failure that most corporations would love to cash in on. Although I will always wonder what Jackson could have done with The Hobbit had he been involved from the get-go or been given time to do what he wanted. Then again I liked The Last Jedi so what to I know?

But if you've already decided your not going to enjoy it, don't let me rain on your parade. Or should that be shine sunlight on you parade? Not sure. :confused:

In any case, we won't know if it's going to be any good for a couple of years.

Awww, Damodar is sad.

As long as the supposed good guy hero doesn't stuff a body into a bag of holding it will be an improvement.

I suspect that a series would be a lot better than a movie. D&D is really much more captured by a serial format IMO.

That is one thing we agree on; D&D is all about ongoing group dynamics. Some movies do a decent job, I'd just rather have a series and more in-depth story arcs.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So in recent years I have seen D&D Style shows done right and I hope the makers of this movie know them and take a few pages from them.... however since its a A-list movie instead of series I fear it will be too compressed and the line between D&D and generic fantasy disappears. I really feel like the move as the Start of a D&D film IP unless they do crazy_catas suggested.

Examples of what I have seen done right:

1. Tactics and limited supplies in Goblin Slayer was awesome!! They ask for a status report everyone once in a while... how many spell slots and arrows do you have, what can you cast? I learned a new spell at the trainer after the last mission I was promoted in the Clerics guild due to our successful missions and my training now allows me to cast 3 spells a day. Trip lines, creative use of spells, and fear of the enemies by having characters die and building tension because they are running out of arrows and spells slots. Its typical they always have the supplies that they need when they need it in movies then try to add tension by creating unbeatable problems which resolve themselves by the luck of the heroes getting what they need to solve the problem. Fighting Goblin is not a problem … until you run out of arrows and spells... that's understandable real tension you don't have to "heros luck" them out of. They instead have to use the resources available, stealing goblin arrows and weapons, caving in doors, trop ropes, choke points, etc.... way more interesting. Even having enemies trick the heroes with valid tactics resulting in deaths makes the tension of fights real and allows the villains not to be stumbling fool henchman with the addition of a 1 competent leader.

Edit: Also, The Adventures guild in Goblin Slayer has 10 ranks so you can kind of count rookie in a rank and veteran in a rank as 2 each then have a relative 1-20 level range to understand the power difference between characters in D&D terms but with a story reason so its not meta language understanding characters skills quantities extra.

2. The mechanical design of trainers, intelligent targeting of party healers, and tracking low currency survival of Grimgar fantasy and ash really made the show. So many times the do highlevel fights and unlimited resource quests for the king … etc. I really think that just like D&D playing the level 1 character trying to work their way forward by basic supplies and even showing fundamental training where they mention the learning of new skills and how they work. Then when they use those going forward they have meaning. They don't follow the training of all the characters but they do mention the level up skill and spell choices, why, and how they work which gives them a mechanical limit and ground that they often lack in moves. Its typical that hero characters in shows develop the skills they need in combat right when they need it. Having them require training to learn new skills, having need to pay to get that training when having trouble buying food... real decisions and logistics in a meaningful way. Do we eat well tonight so we can fight better tomorrow or do buy a much need piece of gear and if gear for who? More arrows for the archer who is out? A better helm for our tank who holds the line protecting us from damage? Armor for our healer who is avoiding combat but is currently defenseless and could cost the party greatly if he is targeted, because who heals the healer? … you can only pick one... and make no mistake they will target the healer as soon as they realize you have one.

3. This kind of goes back to #2, for ground up character development and world rules creating a better story limitations with an older example, but Naruto also showed his training under each trainer explaining how the ability works and the rules of the world in great detail … then the support characters would show up and have new abilities too but instead of showing their training they would kind of show off their new toy and briefly explain it. I really enjoy that part of the show. Then they would have a "world rule" and appear to break it creating a mystery which then they would explain how it happened. For example in Naruto each person has primary "magic type"/school 1 of 6 types... many people have a second type to a minor degree... extremely rarely you might have some one with a third... but never more. Then they fight a Girl who has all 6 which is impossible... turns out she only has one … she is basically necromancer/mind control type who has disguised multiple bodies to all look like her each in life had a one of each of the primary abilities, she animated them and mind controls them, then uses a teleportation exchange to switch them out when they move out of sight. So it appears like she has all 6 primary types but she really has one and Naruto is fighting zombies not the necromancer... all a cool trick based on world rules that makes the fight more interesting.

I would like a D&D series instead of a movie that reflected these aspects using rules and mechanics we know. This would be an interesting D&D story. We don't need to save the world. We just need a basic reason to fight... money, and interesting minor stories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
Meh, I'm watching The Dragon Prince with my kids right now on Netflix, and if that's not a D&D cartoon, I don't know what is.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope that it does well, but, I'm going to wait and see.

Honestly, D&D Branded Generic Fantasy Movie is probably the best we can hope for.

MechaPilot

Explorer
"The studio is reportedly looking at a list that includes Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner, and Johnny Depp."

I, too, can name actors.

Studio Head: Get me a Chris!

Poor intern: Which one? Pine? Pratt? Evans? Hemsworth? Ludacris?

Studio Head: ALL OF THEM!

I really want Will Smith to just stay away from this movie. I don't think he's a good fit for a D&D movie. And if he is a good fit for the script, then I'm hesitant to think the movie will be a good D&D movie.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
LOL. Just because the haters didn't like it doesn't prove everyone else wrong. If The Last Jedi and The Hobbit were failures, it's a failure that most corporations would love to cash in on.

Not liking something != being a hater. Certainly true that the corporate masters were happy, but what I'm saying is "corporate masters make a lot of money" isn't the only sign of "is a good movie/song/TV show/etc." For instance, the original Star Wars and the LotR trilogies both made a lot of money and were artistically meaningful as well.

Although I will always wonder what Jackson could have done with The Hobbit had he been involved from the get-go or been given time to do what he wanted.

I dunno. IMO the real issue is what Guillermo del Toro would have done. I think Jackson was totally worn out by the massive effort to do LotR and would have been better with a reduced role. But you're right, those were really rush jobs given the sheer scope of the projects and a lot of the bloat happened to ensure everybody who had a finger in that particular pie got some. I was guardedly optimistic with the first Hobbit but the second was one long sequence of inconsequential action scenes. I didn't bother with the third.

Then again I liked The Last Jedi so what to I know?

As you say, many people paid to see it, and if you liked it, fine.

But if you've already decided your not going to enjoy it, don't let me rain on your parade. Or should that be shine sunlight on you parade? Not sure. :confused:

In any case, we won't know if it's going to be any good for a couple of years.

Heh, I'm pretty sure it'll be not to my taste. I watch movies only when the come to streaming now. Part of it is my own issue---I have neurological problems that make being in a theater hard---but it's not just that. Most modern movies are too long, have too many characters, too many illogical points and jump cuts, and otherwise feel really crammed. In general it's pretty clear they're made in the same fashion as radio hits and other mass market products are now, working very hard to ensure as much cross-marketing potential as possible. I understand the reasons why they're like this, but I don't have to like them. In short, I have faith in modern Hollywood's ability to destroy nearly any fantasy or sci fi it touches, but... I am willing to be pleasantly surprised.

That is one thing we agree on; D&D is all about ongoing group dynamics. Some movies do a decent job, I'd just rather have a series and more in-depth story arcs.

Absolutely. It would be much better as a miniseries.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

For instance, the original Star Wars and the LotR trilogies both made a lot of money and were artistically meaningful as well.
/snip

Hahahahahahahahha!!! The original Star Wars were "artistically meaningful"? That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Thank you for that.

------

On a side note, I'd LOVE Will Smith in a D&D movie. Fantastic actor capable of great stuff. Hits pretty much the right tone of silliness I'd expect from a D&D movie. Look at Bright. We know he can do fantasy. What would be the problem with Will Smith?

Good grief, it's gotta be better than one of the Wayan brothers right?

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Hahahahahahahahha!!! The original Star Wars were "artistically meaningful"? That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Thank you for that.

De nada.

But I stand by it. They were genre films, to be sure, and not intended to be art movies, but they were paced well, made innovative use of special effects and sound, and did an excellent job blending several different genres that Lucas had made a homage to: Westerns, "Easterns" (i.e., Akira Kurosawa's samurai movies), World War II films, and pulp serials. I think the original Conan the Barbarian, unabashed pulp movie though it is, is, similarly, a much better movie than the pile of "barbarian" flicks that appeared afterwards. It explicitly hearkens back to silent movie techniques in many places, for instance, and the protagonist suffers real loss in the search for his goal. Are any of these perfect movies? No. But they were genre-defining and rarely equalled and never surpassed by any imitators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases