D&D storylines for a movie?

guachi

Hero
I'd say either Dragonlance or something where it's obviously a game (like Princess Bride is obviously a book)

Example: People sitting around a table gaming as they play and then the movie transports us into the game with the actors playing their PCs and the DM is the BBEG. It allows the movie to not take itself too seriously and it can introduce things specific to D&D.

Westerns are boring? I make this suggestion so as to be more "D&D as played" rather than "D&D as depicted in novels"

There is a reason that D&D in novels is different to D&D PnP.

Playing round a table, bumming round the countryside slaughtering child-sized green people can be enjoyable. The fun comes from interacting with friends.

For a novel (or a movie) to be remotely enjoyable, it requires something resembling a plot.

Oofta

Legend
There is a reason that D&D in novels is different to D&D PnP.

Playing round a table, bumming round the countryside slaughtering child-sized green people can be enjoyable. The fun comes from interacting with friends.

For a novel (or a movie) to be remotely enjoyable, it requires something resembling a plot.

Somebody needs to let Hollywood know that they need plots, they're regularly missing or as full of holes as swiss cheese. :p

P.S. I kid. Mostly. But I'm trying to remember the plot of the last Fast and Furious movies (a guilty pleasure, I admit) and I have no clue. Cars, explosions, shootouts where the main characters have plot armor. Plot? Dunno.

Traycor

Explorer
I would probably keep Elminster to cameo appearance only

It would be very difficult to keep Elminster from coming off as a Gandalf clone. Ancient, old-man wizard with a pointy hat who has divine powers and fights with sword and staff.

If used, he'd need heavy alteration.

Nentir Vale is perfect for a movie like "Hercules & Xena".

Other option would be a movie about chronomancers vs high-tech alien invaders.

Do remember the franchise is a hook but the key is a good story. "Fantastic Four" is a good example.

KenNYC

Explorer
Dark Tower (judges guild). It actually has an infinity gauntlet that predated Marvel's by roughly a decade. It actually would make a good TV show because there is a town with quite a few scheming people, so it could be like Marvel meets typical fantasy meets "Dallas".

Traycor

Explorer
Honestly, R.A. Salvatore's The Crystal Shard hits a lot of the right beats. Big melee, evil wizard, a dragon, a sorta dungeon in the crystal towers. Lots of franchise opportunity.

Just make sure to handle the drow deftly so you don't get accused of racism.

Drow should be handled as they usually are in paintings... purple skin. It looks flesh toned, it can be seen visually, and just like drow themselves it doesn't match any human ethnicity. Dark blue could work as well, but a dark shade of purple would look more like it has blood running through it. The white hair and red eyes help too, since they clearly don't look like any existing people.

Eric V

Hero
What are D&D specific creatures? A movie should have those, IME. Beholders, Mind Flayers, Mimics, maybe aboleth?

I guess that means my answer is Night Below. :p

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you want to use a dragon and preserve a villain for the trilogy...
The dragon at the end of Movie One is a "teenager". The final scene* shows Momma Dragon (adult) watching the climactic fight through a 'crystal ball' that is egg-shaped and set on a fractured eggshell. She is incubating a clutch of eggs.

I would start from a module such as Keep on the Borderlands, where the PCs find progressively-tougher foes as they move farther from their home base and closer to BBEG's home base. The dragon might be the chief cleric in the Chapel of Evil Chaos cave.

* placed after the credits, to punish all those people who just have to run out of the theater immediately when the lights come back up

pemerton

Legend
I think the biggest challenges would be:

1. not seeming like a LotR/Hobbit rip-off (in a lot of ways, we already have hugely successful D&D movies right there... however unfaithful they might seem to some)
2. creating something unique enough and broad enough to appeal to the greatest possible audience
3. not coming off as cheesy and a cliché
I don't see these as challenges. The sucess of Marvel and even DC movies shows that cheesy/cliche will draw big crowds if the production and the laughs are done OK.

A half-successful LotR/Hobbit rip-off would be a good D&D movie!

Remove ads