Random Encounters: By APL or By Setting?

Reynard

Legend
Just out of curiosity, assuming you use random encounters as a DM, do you tend toward encounters that are "level appropriate" or ones that are "setting appropriate?" That is, do you determine the encounter based on what level the PCs are, or some predetermined list or understanding of what might live in the area regardless of whether the PCs walk through at first or fifteenth level?

I tend toward the "setting" side of things. I might decide that orc patrols in the Black Hills consist of 2d6+4 orcs, one of which is always an elite, and groups of 10 or more always include an ogre. This is always true, regardless of the PCs' level. At low levels this might mean the PCs avoid the Black Hills or take extra precautions while traveling in them (maybe the orcs are known to be fans of dwarven spirits and patrols can be bribed, or whatever). But it isn't a case that at 1st level it's 1d3 orcs and 5th 2d4 orcs etc...

Which way do you lean? Why? What methods have you found to be really successful when dealing with random encounters?

Thanks!

ccs

41st lv DM
Setting.

Why: Because the world doesn't know or care what lv you are.

I make a list, think about why this encounter would be occurring in this area, & write a sentence or three to go with it. Sometimes I note wether or not it's time of day dependent.

S'mon

Legend
The best approach generally is the 3e one of doing it by setting, but have different settings vary by danger level, and start the PCs off in a level-appropriate zone.

Another approach I use for high level PCs travelling a long way is to use the high level tables from XGTE, but greatly reduce the frequency of checks - I'm only rolling for significant encounters. Eg I had a level 19 dragonborn PC fly thousands of miles across the Wilderlands; I used the static hex encounters from the setting books plus the Tier IV charts in XGTE, only using stuff that could fly. This created a very nice mix of encounters, from goblin wolfriders in a placed encounter, to an ancient green dragon rolled up as he flew over a forest. :)

Of course if the GM is 'telling' the players to have their PCs go through a certain area then the GM should use appropriate encounters, rather than have an ancient dragon leap out and eat their 1st
level PCs. The status quo approach is suitable for player-directed sandboxing.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Always by setting. I ran a campaign once where the first random encounter (back in 2E) was an age 10 Green Dragon. It became more a narrative as the dragon attacked the elven city the game began in, but became a target for the characters when later on they were powerful enough to return and stop the dragon.

At higher levels, I still had them "encounter" far weaker forces. Sometimes I narrated the battle to speed up play (since we knew the characters would dominate), other times we ran it out for the fun of it. I wouldn't award XP for these unless the characters actually learned by them (which occurred on occasion).

But as long as you don't force the players into combat and allow them an out, no encounter need be inappropriate regardless of level of the characters and CR of the encounter.

akr71

Hero
It is important to note that I don't think of random encounters as purely combat focused. Maybe the party is perceptive and moves off the road so as not to be spotted. Maybe it is just some place - a ruin or structure - along the way that I give more colorful description so that the world feels real and lived in.

In 'dungeons' it is by APL - sort of - I look at the roster of creatures in the dungeon and decide who moves about the complex. I then put together a random table to decide who is encountered. If the random is defeated, they are no longer part of the dungeon roster.

In the wilderness (ie. travelling), encounters are broken down into humanoid, animal, monster or environment and then further broken down into friendly, neutral or hostile.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I usually assign a range of CRs for a given adventure location and then use the charts in Xanathar's. In my Hills of Argh adventure location, for example, I just use the CR 5-10 random encounters for Hills from XGtE. It works great. Sometimes the encounters are overwhelming because the players are on the low end of that tier and the resulting encounter is very Deadly. Sometimes it's a cakewalk. I think that works well.

the Jester

Legend
Definitely setting-based for me. But I run a hardcore sandbox with several playstyle elements that really don't support setting things up for a specific party- for one thing, there are multiple groups, so I don't know which might encounter a given adventure or encounter. For another, the parties are fluid, with pcs moving from one to the other fairly often, so even if I know what party might have an encounter, I don't necessarily know what pcs will make up that party. Finally, I run an "Everyone Starts at First Level" (ES@1) game, so parties often have a wide variance in the levels of characters that make them up.

Draegn

Explorer
I have encounters that are setting appropriate. However, the players do have the expectation of what kind of encounter they might face. Entering an area of hills where orcs live; expect to find orcs.

Our campaign area if you imagine a triangle sectioned into three parts, the players are in one area which is in a "cold war" with frequent tepid skirmishes and an occasional hot flash with another area. The third area is in a state of civil war. The third area is loosely allied with the area opposing the players, and the deposed legitimate forces from the civil war are based in the player's realm.

The players often encounter one patrol from some force or another as they attempt to weaken their enemies. Solo beings are reserved for when introducing something new.

Setting based. I have areas of the surrounding wilderness that have different levels of danger/themes. Their encounter tables are coded to how dangerous that area is. There’s a rough correlation between danger and distance from home town, but some areas are just more dangerous regardless of distance. It’s up to the players to decide what they want to do and where to go. I won’t adjust the encounters to their power level... if they decide to travel through the troll hills at 1st level and without copious amounts of fire, they will have a hard time.

However, part of this includes a general precept that not all random encounters will result in combat. I utilize a procedure originally created by the Retired Adventurer, where an encounter can result in the actual monster, but more likely, signs, tracks and spoor. This goes a long way to avoid the ‘suddenly ogres! Roll initiative!’ problem. It is more likely they will encounter a fresh ogre kill or ogre tracks... and they can react appropriately (leave the area or track them or other).

Satyrn

First Post
Setting. Random encounter tables have become the backbone of my megadungeon.

When I map out a room, I write down what might be there. Like, a room intended to be a Level 5* monster outpost will tell me to roll on the Random Faction Table (goblins, orcs, drow or duergar essentially) and then, let's say I get goblins I'll consult the Level 5 Random Goblin Encounter table.

*It's actually called Lower Tier 2 instead of Level 5, because there's no way I'm writing different tables for every single level

Last edited:

Remove ads