If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

5ekyu

Hero
That is what I dislike the most here. Why are you assuming that cheating is involved anywhere? Why bring it up?

That is not at all the reason why understanding how the player is trying to accomplish a task works. Unless you are playing a board game version of the game, it is unlikely that the players have access to all of the information involving the the task they are trying to accomplish. How a player tries to climb the metaphorical wall (because we really aren't talking about just a wall, but any task) makes a difference in outcomes and the information they get.

In your game, they player declares they climb the wall. However, in mine they might be using pitons to create ropes because other party members have terrible athletics. By using pitons, they actually break pieces of rock off and find an ancient bas relief underneath. But if they just climbed straight up with their hands they wouldn't.

The "how" matters as much as the "what" -- sometimes more. But this is the difference between roll-play and role-play. Either is fine, but each has a different goal in mind.
Ok do, you expect the player to say they are using options. Grest. So do I. So foes Oofta. If the dont say it snd we dont know it... we dont count it.

Not sure what the issue is.

In the vast majority of times in my games when a player declares a check, we are noth on the same page without needing the full baggage of approach and goal and we are through the resolution likely split.

The more I keep hearing about how serious the problem were without approach and goal and how much it cleared up problems for them and speeds up their games compared to what they had been, the more I begin to feel glad they found a way to solve all of those issues their games apparently had.

If my games start having those to any significant degree I am glad I have this as a fall back option.

Hussar

Legend
Per the rules, I call for checks when the outcome of the task is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure. There are approaches that make achieving the goal more difficult, however, which is why the DM is tasked by the rules to set DCs and/or grant advantage or disadvantage depending on what the player describes as wanting to do (in addition to just saying something succeeds or fails outright).

You’re saying the same thing, just in reverse. If some finds the approach which makes something less difficult then no check is needed. Providided that the approach is effective enough.

Which is where I get off the train. I’ve had far, far too many arguments from either side of the screen over what constitutes making something more or less difficult.

Like I said, this places the dm too much in the forefront for my comfort.

Instead, simply treating things the same way I treat combat - with the player telling me what’s happening and then using the dice to drove the action makes the system more fair to me.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You’re saying the same thing, just in reverse. If some finds the approach which makes something less difficult then no check is needed. Providided that the approach is effective enough.

Which is where I get off the train. I’ve had far, far too many arguments from either side of the screen over what constitutes making something more or less difficult.

Like I said, this places the dm too much in the forefront for my comfort.

Instead, simply treating things the same way I treat combat - with the player telling me what’s happening and then using the dice to drove the action makes the system more fair to me.

As I suggested in a later post, a player whose character is in a dramatic situation might try to get past a locked door by using a key, picking the lock with thieves' tools, kicking it in, or prying it open with a crowbar.

If some of those tasks come with a check and others do not, or some of those checks are easier than others, then you're judging the effectiveness of the approach the player described and now you're one of us.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Bawylie

A very OK person
That is what I dislike the most here. Why are you assuming that cheating is involved anywhere? Why bring it up?

That is not at all the reason why understanding how the player is trying to accomplish a task works. Unless you are playing a board game version of the game, it is unlikely that the players have access to all of the information involving the the task they are trying to accomplish. How a player tries to climb the metaphorical wall (because we really aren't talking about just a wall, but any task) makes a difference in outcomes and the information they get.

In your game, they player declares they climb the wall. However, in mine they might be using pitons to create ropes because other party members have terrible athletics. By using pitons, they actually break pieces of rock off and find an ancient bas relief underneath. But if they just climbed straight up with their hands they wouldn't.

The "how" matters as much as the "what" -- sometimes more. But this is the difference between roll-play and role-play. Either is fine, but each has a different goal in mind.

FWIW, your last two sentences cut into the overall credibility of your argument here.

Hussar

Legend
As I suggested in a later post, a player whose character is in a dramatic situation might try to get past a locked door by using a key, picking the lock with thieves' tools, kicking it in, or prying it open with a crowbar.

If some of those tasks come with a check and others do not, or some of those checks are easier than others, then you're judging the effectiveness of the approach the player described and now you're one of us.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Well yes? By changing the parameters of the situation you get different results. So what?

In your method I state I want to get through the door. It’s locked and I don’t have a key. You have to ask the player how they are going to do it. They then reply they are trying to pick the lock or break it down. You then have to call for the check. Four steps.

I break down the door athletics 21.

One step.

No different than, “I attack the orc 21”.

Oofta

Legend

Do people just go out of the way to take offense? If someone says "I get a 20 to climb the wall" I'm assuming they're applying all reasonable bonuses. I trust my players until proven otherwise. That's all.

If they're using a climber's kit to assist others they'll say so. I don't see how any of this has anything to do with role-playing one way or another. As far as how they climb the wall, in most cases it make no more difference than how they swing their sword. If it floats your boat go for it. I have plenty of dramatic, descriptive scenes in my game but not every wall needs to be a focus of the game.

To me this kind of relates to Chekhov's Gun. If details are important, add them. Add in an extra level of interaction. But if it makes sense for the story for there to be a somewhat difficult to climb run-of-the-mill wall I may include it. Unless it's important I get past it with as little muss and fuss as possible. Along the same lines, if the bas relief is important, they have a chance to notice them no matter how they climb. It may even be guaranteed that they notice it if it drives the story or fills in some fun background. But if the bas reliefs aren't important I won't include them.

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a wall is just a wall. All you need to climb that wall most of the time is an athletics check.

G

Guest 6801328

Well yes? By changing the parameters of the situation you get different results. So what?

In your method I state I want to get through the door. It’s locked and I don’t have a key. You have to ask the player how they are going to do it. They then reply they are trying to pick the lock or break it down. You then have to call for the check. Four steps.

One step.

“No, just Strength, no Athletics.”

See how much time would have been saved with goal and approach?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

It shows that there are multiple approaches to a goal and some of those are approaches are more effective than others. You suggested you weren't comfortable being the judge of that, despite sitting in the DM's chair. Is that still your position?

One step.

First, I don't really have to ask the players how they are going to do something. They tell me because that's their role in the game and my players perform their role, just as I perform mine as DM. "I try to bust open the door with my crowbar."

Second, would you rule that it's effectively easier to break that door down with a crowbar if its leverage can be applied? As opposed to without a crowbar.

Third, even if it is fewer steps, what is gained by that? Pacing of the game, if that is the concern, is based on many factors as was already discussed way upthread, chiefly player readiness and to some extent dice sorting/rolling.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Per the rules, I call for checks when the outcome of the task is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure. There are approaches that make achieving the goal more difficult, however, which is why the DM is tasked by the rules to set DCs and/or grant advantage or disadvantage depending on what the player describes as wanting to do (in addition to just saying something succeeds or fails outright).

Yes?

I take it you agree with my statement then, since you quoted the rulebook yet again about something that is completely parallel to my point? Or, do you think that if a DM is going to label approaches as "good" or "bad" they are still impartially judging whether a task is uncertain and if there is a meaningful consequence for failure, as per the PHB?

Because they have a possibility of failure and consequences for failure. I don’t mean to come off accusatory here either, but... how is this only striking you now? Haven’t we been discussing this for the past 100 pages? Wasn’t the fact that checks always have consequences your primary objection to my way of running things?

Maybe it just stood out to me in your phrasing... but don't you find it weird to actively avoid the resolution mechanic of a game?

Looking at it, "they have the possibility of failure", that makes it sound like by getting a check called for... the player has somehow failed. I'm not trying to say that is how you resolve things, I understand you only call for checks when those three criteria are met, no need to repeat them, but take a step back and think about this in a pure sit down to play any game in the world context.

You are warning players when they are about to use the main resolution mechanic of the game. By that resolution mechanic being called on, you are allowing the possibility of failure to enter the game. It is purely negative. There is no upside.

That's weird right? It is a d20 system, but rolling the dice is the worst outcome for the player, they should be warned, prepared, have the option to back out and find another way. They should not roll dice.

It just never struck me before that was the type of mindset you had. It just never registered, because I've never considered using the primary resolution mechanic of the game to be a bad

You have demonstrated that you have direct experience with your style of DMing. You have also demonstrated such difficulty in understanding the goal and approach style, that it did not seem likely to me that you had any experience running a game that way. Not wanting to assume, I asked for clarification.

But in this exact conversation thread, we aren't talking about goal and approach. We are talking about whether or not giving players information on the consequences of their actions leads to better and more dramatic roleplaying. That has nothing to do with how the players approach the problem and all about how much we tell them.

So why does my experience with how the players present their actions to me matter? Do you think that because my players do not always present their actions in goal and approach that I've never had them attempt to solve a dangerous situation? That they have never entered into a dramatic moment where their success or failure could change the course of the game? Do I have direct experience with these sorts of situations or am I simply theorizing what players may find engaging and exciting was your exact question. It has nothing to do with style.

Right, but if you’re the GM, you’re the one who decided that this chandelier is liable to break for a reason that the character has no way of boing about. Your reasoning for not telling the player that the chandelier might fall if they try to jump on it is that their character couldn’t know that. But their character could know that, if you hadn’t designed the challenge in such a way that they couldn’t. I’m sorry, but to me that feels like a gotcha. If your players are cool with you setting up challenges this way, that’s awesome, but personally, as a DM, I would not feel comfortable doing that.

I must assume you have entirely forgotten the where this chandelier example came from, otherwise you I don't see how this could possibly be a "Gotcha". To remind you of the scenario.

You are standing in on the second floor of a mansion, guards are charging up the stairs and you need to escape. You see a window and a chandelier, across from which is a ledge leading somewhere else, in addition to the stairs leading down. What do you do?

It is possible that by deciding to jump on the chandelier and use it as a means of travel, the player might have to roll a check. It seems likely, chandelier jumping is dangerous stuff. IF they fail this check, then perhaps instead of "you miss" it could be that they land heavily on one side, and with a snap the chandelier breaks from the ceiling and crashes to the ground.

There is no gotcha here, the player can't spend 10 minutes checking the stability of the chandelier. It is a viable option, but a failed check might lead to it breaking, and the player doesn't know it could break. The challenge has nothing to do with the chandelier, excepting that it might be a solution, the challenge is "escape from the guards" and there is no gotcha in allowing the player to make a choice. They could try tumbling past the guards and sliding down the stair's railing. They could jump out the window. They could teleport somewhere. They could scream and throw a table and scare the guards off. But each of those actions might also fail in some way, and if you jump on a chandelier and land wrong, you might break it.

Not really. “Dangerous magical disturbance” could mean a lot of things, and assuming it means “magic explosion” could be dangerous, if it actually means “will summon a random creature from a random plane of existentence,” for example. You might make preparations for an explosion like taking cover or quaffing a potion of fire resistance or something, and then find yourself dealing with a Marid or something instead of what you expected to happen. And that’s kind of the point of the method. You’re dealing with the consequences of your decisions, instead of the consequences of a poor dice roll. I, as a player, would find it to be a much more satisfying experience having to fight that Marid after having expected a magical explosion than taking a magical explosion after not having known what to expect might happen as a result of my failure on an Arcana check to disrupt a ritual circle. The former is my own fault for not having investigated further to confirm my suspicions. The latter is just an unpredictable mishap that occurred as a result of a crappy dice roll.

If you decide to mess with a clearly dangerous magical circle, to attempt to deactivate it in a safe manner, and it fails, how are you not dealing with the consequences of your decisions?

Honestly, if you make the decision to mess with dangerous things, no matter what bad thing happens, is that not a consequence of your decision? Doing more research into the energies of the circle could tell you something, it could not, depends on the exact circumstances, it might just tell you "chaotic magical energies are held in place by this circle". Can you know the results of "chaotic magical energies"? Does not knowing invalidate your decision to try and disperse it?

Sometimes not knowing is equally fun to knowing. Sometimes it is more fun. Sometimes it is less fun. Regardless, if you declare an action, your character has taken an action. If there is a negative result from that action, you are dealing with the consequences of that action. Yes, if I say someone is yelling for help, you declare you run to see what is going on, and I tell you you take fire damage from the burning building they just ran into, that is bad DMing. But your decision to try and disable a magic circle humming with energy is not invalidated if when you fail I decide to teleport the entire party to the Far North instead of having it all unleash in a massive fireball like you expected. It is clear that in failing to properly disperse a large amount of magical energy something would happen, but not knowing exactly what doesn't seem like it should ruin your fun. Your character can't see the future after all.

Remove ads