How serious is your d&d?

Robin Heier

First Post
So, no poll for this one. Just curious where people are at. How serious is your current game? Beer and pretzels, hard gritty LOTR or something in between? Do you start serious and it becomes Monty Python, or does it get there from session 0. I played both, I ran both, currently in Marvel meets Cthulhu. Love gritty but enjoying off the cuff humor and zany antics. Just wanting to here your story.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Players in my game would say it's very challenging, but fast-paced and hilarious. But I can't claim credit for that. I just set the stage.

I’m in a game with some very heavy themes. It occasionally gets silly because there always ends up being inside jokes and stuff but it revolves more around inter character dynamics. But overall, that campaign is dark.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I try to match my tone to the group. When I’ve got players who want a really serious, high-brow kind of experience, I give it to them. When I have players who want a lighthearted and goofy game, I play along with them. I guess you could say you get back what you give. Most of my games end up having what I think is a nice balance of humor and gravitas, likely because most players want a rich roleplaying experience, but don’t want to take it so seriously that they can’t make jokes from time to time.

The Adventure Zone is a decent example of the tone my games - that is to say, ranging from “Abraka:):):):)you” to “Arms Outstretched” and everything in between, depending on the mood of the players at the time.

5ekyu

Hero
If I had to identify ours - more like Firefly and well between Adventures of Brisco County/Jack of Hearts and LotR/Deathwish.

Draegn

Explorer
The background of my game is hard and gritty. A combination of GoT and LotR. However being a West March sandbox there are often moments when the dice are put down and my players simply role play whatever they want. The halfling mage making friends with William Faulkner the city Falconer and Chief of Pest Control. Having her describe how she makes pigeon pie out of the pigeons his birds caught was very fun.

These mostly happen when my ten players are all together, it's when they break off into their smaller groups or solo things that their dark sides come out to play.

Remove ads