[5e] Yuan-ti Pureblood Unusual Abilities for my character

Tiago Telles

First Post
I recently started a campaign where I'm playing a Yuan-ti Pureblood Warlock. We started at lvl 5 and rolled for stats, so I got myself a 20 CHA for the lvl 4 ASI. My DM granted us magic items and gave us a lot of freedom to choose from the DMG. I got a Rod of Pact Keeping +1, Bracers of Protection and a Tome of Leadership and Influence (And pumped my CHA to 22). The thing is, I started thinking about it and I found it unfair to other players (they're new players, so they were happy with +1 weapons and armors, and simple things like that) that I had access to a Very Rare item. I talked to my DM and told him I thought I was getting an unfair advantage over the rest of the group, and asked if I could get an Unusual Ability from Volos and he was OK with that.

Now I can't make my mind, because as cool and thematic as Shapechanger looks, I don't see much advantage on getting it. Maybe if it gave me some stealthy advantages (which my character DOESN'T have for RP reasons), but as is, it seems kinda meh. Can anyone sell me this one or is it not that great anyway?

Chameleon Skin, on the other hand, is much less thematic but seems to be way stronger mechanic wise. The question is: it gives me advantage to Hide, but I'm not sure if using hide would help me in stealth checks in general.

Shed Skin is cool and thematic too, but I don't see myself getting into the thick of battle. I could also use it to heal, but again, not sure if worth it...

Any contructive help will be appreciated, and THANKS in advance!

Undrhil

Explorer
I'm confused. At first you say you feel that your magic item picks are unfair to the other players, so you ask for an Unusual Ability from Volo's. But now you are still wanting the Unusual Ability to be advantageous for you?

Are you saying you gave up the Tome and it's boost to your CHA, in exchange for the Unusual Ability?

Tiago Telles

First Post
I meant that, by comparison, my choice was way stronger than anything the other players chose. So I thought about getting a skill that would be similar to a lower rarity magic item, so I can get something that is cool and thematic, while not outshining the others in my group.

Goblyn

Explorer
Well, I don't know anything about these abilities other than what you've written here, but given the info in your post I say you go for shed skin. You said it's cool and thematic, and the only snag is that you're not sure that it's worth it. BUT, you said the other players are happy with just +1 weapons so it sounds like there's no real need for you to perfectly optimize this choice. A little bit of extra self-healing for squishy class like a warlock hardly goes amiss.

aco175

Legend
You could go with either of them, I feel that 5th level you start to not need them and have more spells that let you overcome things. I would go with disguise self, more so if you are in a bar to blend in. Maybe make it a bit of RP and not tell the others you are a snakefolk and surprise things later on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases