Game of Thrones s1e1

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't done anything to get around the controls thought you unblocked me. The chain posting problem went away a couple of weeks ago when the forums updated. There's another poster with the same problem so guessing it's a technical problem.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmm. Question: why does Renly think he has a claim? Stannis does (in fact he’s the rightful heir), and Joffrey does via deception, but where does Renley’a claim come from?

(I say all this knowing that it doesn’t matter because at the end is a dragon).

ccs

41st lv DM
Hmm. Question: why does Renly think he has a claim? Stannis does (in fact he’s the rightful heir), and Joffrey does via deception, but where does Renley’a claim come from?

He's the youngest of the 3 Baratheon brothers. Robert, Stannis & then Renly Baratheon. He's 4th in line after Joffery, Tommen, then Stannis.
He does have a claim, just a lot weaker than the rest.

Also, Renly believes that Stannis in an unlikeable king. He may have the stronger claim, but not that many people want him as their king.

Joker

First Post
Claims really only matter in times of peace to avoid a conflict. At the end of the day, it's about who has the biggest army and/or who is the most ruthless/cunning.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm rewatching right now. Dang, they are young. But the wrighting and acting are great. Episode one sets up so much, it's hard to believe.

Stalker0

Legend

Renly is the “populist” argument. He thinks as the most charismatic option (his belief), that the people want him over his brother. And with Joffrey being illegitimate, he is the only one with both a claim that would actually make a good king.

Of course the argument is bs, it just lets him flex his charisma to gain supporters and raise an army to take it.

Stalker0

Legend
Her vengeance was always focused on people who wronged her not random Innocents.

It was also the speed of her heel turn. Her burning down the red keep with innocents in it makes sense. Nuking KL not so much. Her heel turn was done poorly, basically flick a switch. This was against a backdrop of night King doesn't matter, Cersei is the villain now nope she's dead now as well now it's Dany. All of which happened in 3 episodes.

Pacing and execution was all off
I agree with that. A big part of her character arc was that vengeful streak she has had always had towards those that wronged her (and extended into those who wronged the innocent or “her people”). That was clearly established since season 1.

Tyrion tries to curb that, helping her to see the bigger picture and “play the game”, but with limited success.

When “ma queen” burned kings landing that was not in keeping with her theme of vengeance, nor was it the “only way” for her to secure power (which was also one of her themes…how far would she go to secure her “birthright”). Ultimately it was just a random act of savagery and brutality, that not only was completely out of left field, it actually weakened her new kingdom for no good reason.

In other words, the only explanation is “she just went crazy”. While that is certainly a possible answer…it is nowhere near a satisfying one.

Game of Thrones makes for a fantastic re-watch. There's some great acting in it, and decisions made have even greater significance knowing how those decisions turn out.

The scene between Cersei Lannister and Robert Baratheon in Season 1, Episode 5, is so darn good!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases