Planescape Planescape monsters

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hi. :) these are going to go into one of my "Converting monsters..." threads sooner or later, so i want to make sure i don't get redundant. yes, i know, most if not all of these are going to be on PS3E sooner or later, but we've always had our own versions of monsters. ;)

ok, so, if i missed something, tell me. have any of these monsters been in official 3E products?

PSMC1 - Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix I, 1994

Hordling
Incarnates
Mediator (Mechanus, Translator)
Imp, Mephit (Smoke, Radiant, Lightning, Mineral, Ash, Mist)
Tanar'ri, Guardian - Molydeus

PSMC2 - Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II, 1995

Balaena
Darkweaver (same as in FF?)
Demarax
Dhour
Eater of Knowledge
Eladrin, Coure (Lesser) (in BoED)
Eladrin, Noviere (Lesser)
Eladrin, Shiere (Lesser)
Eladrin, Tulani (Greater) (in BoED)
Ghostlight
Incantifier (Sect)
Merkhant (Sect)
Mortai
Noctral
Observer
Prolonger
Quill
Rager (Sect)
Razorvine
Reave
Rilmani, Argenach
Rilmani, Plumach
Shadowdrake
Simpathetic
Spellhaunt
Spider, Hook
Sunfly (BoED?)
Sword Spirit
T'uen-Rin
Tanar'ri, Bulezau (Lesser)
Tso
Vorr
Wastrel
Wraithworm

PSMC3 - Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III, 1998

Archomental (Good) (Ben-Hadar, Chan, Sunnis, Zaaman Rul)
Bzastra
Chososion
Darklight
Devete
Dharum Suhn
Egarus
Entrope
Facet
Fundamental
Garmorm
Homunculous, Elemental (Breather, Skin)
Klyndes
Magran
Menglis
Nathri
Ooze Sprite
Opposition
Phirblas
Primal
Quasielemental, Negative (Ash, Dust, Salt, Vacuum)
Quasielemental, Positive (Lightning, Mineral, Radiance, Steam)
Ruvkova
Scile
Shad
Shocker (Contented One, Sojourner) (one type was in RttTEE?)
Sislan
Suisseen
Tsnng
Ungulosin
Vacuous
Wavefire

Planescape Campaign Setting, 1994 (PS boxed set)

Dabus

Planes of Chaos, 1994 (PS boxed set)

Chaos Imp
Ratatosk
Viper Tree

Planes of Law, 1995 (PS boxed set)

Archon (Warden, Sword, Throne) (all in BoED)
Baatezu, Lesser - Kocrachon
Busen
Gear Spirit
Moigno
Parai
Rust Dragon (same as Dragon #300?)
Zoveri

Planes of Conflict, 1995 (PS boxed set)

Aeserpent
Buraq
Delphon
Diakk (Varath, Carcene)
Ethyk
Gautiere
Linqua
Ni'iath
Quesar (BoED)
Slasrath
Warden Beast

Shade

Monster Junkie
Vorr is in BOVD. Slasrath is in FF. Kocrachon is in BOVD.

Also, although I didn't see it on the list, the Gacholoth Yugoloth has not been coverted to my knowledge.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Vorr is in BOVD.

that's what i thought too, but we were both wrong! i checked it again, and the vorr was in the FF. ;)

Also, although I didn't see it on the list, the Gacholoth Yugoloth has not been coverted to my knowledge.

that's because the gacholoth, to the best of my knowledge, was never in a planescape product. :) tricky...

Filby

First Post
Nice, Boz. :) A few comments...

Yep, the gacholoth was in Monstrouc Compendium Annual 4, not PS.

The darkweaver and the sunfly conversions do indeed appear to be the same creatures.

The shocker in RttToEE was the sojourner variety; the contented ones remain unconverted.

Razorvine is in FF, the sword spirit appears in MM2 (I believe) under the name of 'ragewind', and the shadowdrake appears in Dragon #300 as the 'Styx dragon'.

According to Dragon #300, the new rust dragon is supposed to replace the old rust dragon. That is, it's now a 'true' dragon, as opposed to the adult form of the rust monster; it's also lost the insectlike antennae and wings and now appears as a rust- or verdigris-covered bronze, iron (if iron dragons existed yet in 3E), or silver dragon.

The lightning quasielemental is already in the CC/ToH.

Gez

First Post
The razorvine is now called "bloodthorn".

You see, WotC has a very, very good idea in its monster books: There's a listing of creatures by types and subtypes. Just look at "Plant" in the FF, and you see all of them.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Gez said:

You see, WotC has a very, very good idea in its monster books: There's a listing of creatures by types and subtypes. Just look at "Plant" in the FF, and you see all of them.
I did look at that list, but I don't think that the bloodthorn and the razorvine are the same thing. The razorvine is a passive plant with ridged stems that only does damage to someone trying to walk or cut through a patch. The bloodthorn actively lashes out at nearby creatures and then drains blood through "3-inch-long, hollow, needle-sharp spikes". That sounds pretty different to me.

None of the other plants in the FF seem to have much in common with the razorvine either, which is why I asked.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Gez said:

i say thee nay! ;) the two plants are completely independent. in fact, both had separate stats in 2E planescape, and the bloodthorn has been around since 1E.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Filby said:
The darkweaver and the sunfly conversions do indeed appear to be the same creatures.

for now, i'm going to hold off on any conversions of celestial and celestial-like creatures, at least until i get the BoED. :)
as for the darkweaver, you appear to be right.

Remove ads