Dark Sun Conversion - manifesto

Davelozzi

Explorer
Staffan said:
Plus, if you remove all the powers you mention, you've basically removed the whole discipline of metacreation which is based around forming things out of astral ectoplasm.

Yep, I think the whole discipline should be scrapped.

Staffan said:
I'm not willing to go to the extent that I'll be designing a whole new psionic system. Some modifications, sure, but not a wholesale redesign.

Yeah, me neither, I don't have the drive to do the conversion to the extent that it should be done (especially since I'll probably only run a few sessions) which is why I'm likely to stick with 2e. I I got a little sidetracked there ranting about psionics as they've been on my mind lately, I wasn't really expecting that a full scale redesign was in the scope of your conversion.

At any rate, hopefully some more folks will jump in here and give you some more feedback. I am interested to see where this goes.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Staffan,

Are you familiar with the Midnight setting? If so, Midnight uses Heroic Paths, basically a supplemental set of special abilities gained over 20 levels reflecting some sort of heroic archetype. Since seeing this, I have been wondering whether this might be an option for statting up wild talents in a manner that more or less captures the Dark Sun flavour without being too unbalancing at 1st level.

Anyway, here is a list of prestige classes that I pulled out of the 2E books which may (or may not!) be of assistance:

Archanamach (defiler in the service of a sorcerer-king, Dragon article: slave hunters & silt sailors):
 Lawgiver of Draj
 Hands of Shadow (Nibenay)
Arena Champion (CGG)
Arena Mage (D&P)
Assassin (DMG except Psionic)
Auditor (WATW; psion)
Battle Dancer (cf Elves of Athas, Ftr/Clr)
Beast Trainer (CGG)
Beastmaster (WATW)
Brown Elf (cf Elves of Athas, wandering psion)
Cerulean Wizard (D&P)
Chasseur (Mage-Hunter D&P)
Earth Defender (D&P)
Element Singer (cf Elves of Athas)
Exterminator (extreme defiler D&P)
Enemy of the Alliance (infiltrate the Veiled Alliance D&P)
Guardian Druid
Illusionist (D&P)
Jazst (CGG- very similar to gladiator prestige class in S&F)
Montare (CGG mounted gladiator)
Raider
Restorer (extreme preserver)
Procurer (cf Elves of Athas, Trader/Rogue)
Reaver (CGG captures beasts for the arena)
Savage Hunter (cf Elves of Athas)
Shadow Wizard (D&P)
Shrine Guardian
Thri-Kreen Slayer (cf Elves of Athas)
Veiled One (member of the Veiled Alliance)
Verdant Lord (Athasian Treant)

Cheers
D

Staffan

Legend
Derulbaskul said:
Are you familiar with the Midnight setting?
I've heard of it, but I wouldn't call myself familiar with it.

If so, Midnight uses Heroic Paths, basically a supplemental set of special abilities gained over 20 levels reflecting some sort of heroic archetype. Since seeing this, I have been wondering whether this might be an option for statting up wild talents in a manner that more or less captures the Dark Sun flavour without being too unbalancing at 1st level.
Sounds neat. I'll consider that. Another idea that struck me today (OUCH!) is to use a variant of the magic system in Wheel of Time (another book I don't have). As I understand it, there are a bunch of different things you can do with magic, and then you can use different spell levels in order to get effects of varying degree. Maybe something like this:
Telekinesis
0th level: Lift an object weighing a few pounds and move it around slowly (basically, far hand)
1st level: Lift an object that weighs about 20 pounds and move it around as fast as you can walk (basically, unseen servant).
(some intermediate steps)
5th level: As per the telekinesis spell.
(some more steps)

If you combine something like that with power points, I think you could get a rather neat psionics system. High-level psions would only be able to do a couple of different things, but they'd do them well. Many of the powers in the PsiHB are already the same thing at different levels (e.g. the Concussion powers), so it probably wouldn't be that hard to do.

Oh, and you could have it where certain powers had other powers as prerequisites. Concussion could require Telekinesis, for example (learn to move stuff around before you go around throwing TK punches).
Anyway, here is a list of prestige classes that I pulled out of the 2E books which may (or may not!) be of assistance:
[list snipped]
Thanks! Prestige classes will be left for later - the regular classes are trouble enough. But when that time comes, I'll be sure to take your list into account. Some of them probably work best with regular feat selections (I like to keep prestige classes prestigious and not use them for everything), but others look like decent candidates for prestige classes.

Staffan

Legend
Knightsword said:
Those searching for Dark Sun material might want to check out

http://www.athas.org

They are in the process of converting to 3.5 and have a preview doc for d/l
I know about athas.org. It's just that there are many aspects of their conversion I don't like - especially the way most spellcasters are handled.

Mach2.5

First Post
Good stuff so far Staffan. Hope your not running out of steam just yet ;), I'd like to see the whole package once your finished up. Nice to see some alternative viewpoints that are backed up with some rationality.

slingbld

Explorer
Staffan said:
I know about athas.org. It's just that there are many aspects of their conversion I don't like - especially the way most spellcasters are handled.

I know you are not a fan of www.athas.org with thier magic system conversion but you might want to take a close look at thier races & melee classes.

My main reservation with what they did was in teh area of leaving out epic level play (Which the DS book "Dragon Kings" <I think that was the title> detailed fully) I would like to have seen the steps on becoming a Dragon, Evangion, or Elemental...

If you could come up with a better Arcane magic system, I'd love to take a peek at it....

Slingbld~

slingbld

Explorer
Davelozzi said:
Also, regarding psionics, although the rules are more balanced in 3e I believe the flavor has been diluted significantly.

I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath waiting for the new and (hopefully) improved psionics handbook. I like the fact that this is not an extension of hte origional 3.0 book but rather a rewrite like the 3 core books.

We can only hope they will do psionics justice......

Slingbld~

Remove ads