what alignment is this character?

Jakathi

First Post
Soralis is the daughter of Rayden the thunder god (Mortal Kombat template) and a female dragonlord. She is in fact the reincarnation of the Isisethren, a daughter of Osiris and Isis, and as the Isisethren, the ruler of Limbo, a buffer zone between heaven and hell. (in my cosmos, limbo is similar to D&D outlands). However, while in mortal form, Limbo is ruled by the Isisethren’s second in command.

The Isisethren habitually reincarnates into mortal form so she can be truly just when judging mortal souls. For if one does not walk in a mortal’s shoes, how can she be any judge of mortal actions?

Due to her own past, the first evil, Shao Kahn and various devils and demons want her head on a plate and her hide for a rug. However, she does have one thing going for her. They are forbidden from subverting her to their will as they cannot influence Limbo and compromise its neutrality. That doesn’t mean they can’t torture and kill her for other reasons. They just can’t use her as a jumping post to open heaven like a ripe peach.
Soralis was born in the sierra mountains on earth more than 1400 years ago. When she was nearly an adult, her tribe was attacked and slaughtered by a rival nation.. These marauders tortured and killed the entire tribe. They also tortured her and finally disemboweled her before burying her alive. It took her a year and a day to tunnel out of the mass grave they had thrown her in. When she got out, she was understandably deranged and went on a three year killing spree that took out several Mayan cities including Teotihuacán, Xochilnac and Cuetzpalli.

When she was done, she eventually made her way to Europe where she encountered an immortal called Methos. He brought her back to the realm of the sane and taught her many things before giving her the name ‘Soralis de Mordant’, the harvester of souls. He then sent her against his former allies and gleefully watched her decimate them.

For several centuries, she traveled, killing evil sorcerers, mages and demons before finally meeting an idiotic mage bent on world domination. This mage foolishly opened a portal to hell, which she closed at the expense of winding up in that terrible place.

She spent around a hundred years there before managing to kill the first evil’s second in command. She refused to take his place, thereby earning the first evil’s anger and the Powers That Be favor.
My best guess is that she's neutral good with slightly evil tendencies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good with evil tendencies? That's more aptly called "borderline neutral".

For me, there's no information in your writeup to really base an aligment upon. Alignment is the long-term average of behavior and motivations, and we've precious little on the latter. She levelled some towns while insane,then spent time killing off evil things. But we don't know why she's doing any of it. There's a great deal fo difference between, "I'm now hunting evil to make amends for my sins" and "I'm now hunting evil because it's the better challenge and they have the best treasure".

Jakathi

First Post
hmmm. you're right. and i meant NG with amoral tend

ok. her basic motivation with killing evil critters is they give her headaches.
Literally. She's a precog and has visions of said evil critters doing evil things.
Also, she does it to make amends for past actions.

Zander

Explorer
To be good or evil, you have to know what good and evil are. That's why animals, adults with very low intelligence and young children are neither good nor evil. Similarly, some kinds of insanity can result in you not knowing one from the other; in effect, you're outside the good - evil axis. (In D&D, that's considered neutral but neutrality is really a mid-point between good and evil.) So when insane, this character is probably CN. When sane, she sounds NG.

Jakathi

First Post
i tend to agree with the NG tendencies of this character

Zander said:
To be good or evil, you have to know what good and evil are. That's why animals, adults with very low intelligence and young children are neither good nor evil. Similarly, some kinds of insanity can result in you not knowing one from the other; in effect, you're outside the good - evil axis. (In D&D, that's considered neutral but neutrality is really a mid-point between good and evil.) So when insane, this character is probably CN. When sane, she sounds NG.

in the stories i've written, she's mostly acted within the good axis, but she is the reincarnation of a ruler of a predominantly chaotic neutral plane. That means, she may be good, but she's perfectly at ease with evil characters (spending 100 years in hell will do that) and is also quite willing to commit rather ruthless acts (like killing an enemy in cold blood). In the past, she has listened to her companions and refrained from her those sort of ruthless impulses.

Due to her own background, she will never under any circumstances torture anyone or condone such actions (threatening is perfectly ok) and will in fact fly off the handle if she witnesses such things.

Khorod

First Post
Sounds like her fundamental nature is CN because of insanity, dark life experiences, and the urgings of her Limbo-sourced soul.

But aside from all that, she was raised in a good home, imparting a NG value system that pokes its head out when she has the time and inclination to think clearly or with the lighter set of emotions.

Mortal Combat & Highlander huh? Sounded a bit strange at first but the more I think about it... it works. Particularly with the notion that the Immortals and the Gathering are working towards an ultimate God/Champion of Earth, much like Shao Khan is of his territory.

Jakathi

First Post
She's mostly from an Aglam (how do you spell that?) universe

where there are multiple elements from different sources co-existing in the same universe. (such as highlander, mortal kombat, Star-wars, buffy the vampire slayer, X-men, Stargate etc). In this universe, Middle Earth is very real, just on an alternate earth.

Remove ads