TLG: C&C and Zagyg's Castle

johnsemlak

First Post
Can't speak for TLG, but I have been followin this one...

As far as I understand, yes, the whole thing is OGL. The idea is to create a 'rules-light' version of d20 that is somewhat closer to 1e. It will be published under the OGL (like Arcana Unearthed).

I'm not intricately familar with how they're going about it, but basically, they're trying to take the bare shell of the 3e rules and cut out the more 'unweildy' rules-heavy bits. They will publish their system in several rulebooks, starting with the C&C Player's Handbook. Soon to follow will be a Monster book and others.

EGG's Zagyg's Castle will be published in a format compatible with the C&C Player's Handbook et. al. So, it will be d20 compatible (somewhat).

All this is as I understand it. Hopefully TLG will log in and provide more detail.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Doubtlessly the rules will be, as most OGL products out there, with anything conceivably product identity being closed, like place names, setting concepts, etc.

But if the Lords of Troll are following the 1e-fans' complaints and wishes, one of the most argumentative things among them is that WotC has not released the 1e and 2e rules as open content; therefore, making material for these genres cannot be done on any kind of paid commision, and are on legally untested ground, to boot. An OGL game with the strengths of 3E and the charm and feel of 1E would be a product that could possibly have a lot of mileage in front of it. I guarantee that such a product would be a big convention-circuit hit, because it would be easier to teach to new gamers looking for something to "take home" with them.

3E is fun to play, but imagine the first-time gamer discovering the thrill of RPG's, and then having to take $90.00 worth of books home with him or her! It may succeed for Troll Lords, where the D&D adventure boxed game failed for WotC.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, the rules would have to be. If you derive something from Open Content, it has to be open content.

I've often toyed with the idea of coming up with a d100 system similar to Chaosium's BRP derived from the SRD. The original BRP was basically just D&D with a d100 system (and no levels and classes), so you can do something very similar with the SRD. Why would you? Well, many people say BRP is one of their favorite systems.

cleaverthepit

First Post
hallo

Uh oh

Sorry it took so long to get over here and address your questions.

First of all, Castles and Crusades will be OGL and not D20. As such, yes, people will be able to take the rules and publish product off of the rules. Of course, certain legal restrictions will apply for copyrighted sections pertainig to setting and such. But yes an OGL game.

For the full legal crud I will have Mac draw me up a little statement. Any mention of legalities and I am in over my head so I will leave it at that.

Castles and Crusades is being designed with a number of concepts in mind. The first is stripping down the current game to its barest mechanics then pushing it in the direction of earlier editions for 'feel' and playability.

New concepts and takes on various rules and applications are being designed/developed and tested. We are only on about week 8 of this project so much more needs be done before we even have a basic game system for complete playtesting.

We have opened up the development process to all members of the Castle and Crusade Society (just a society that will be used to promote gaming in general -- castlesandcrusades.com). We have about 100 or more people working on this and throwing in ideas and such. It is turning into a great project and having so many people jump in on the development is helping to ensure its a game that meets many peoples needs rather than my own particular ones.

Another concept driving the design of the game is to place the power of the game back into the game masters hands. This is more atructural approach than a mechanic approach - though mechanics do have a lot to do with it. As such, the rules are being designed to give the game master flexibility rather than hemming him or her in, to wit....

The game is rules lite. Very lite. We expect no more than 128 pages for the rulebook and anyone should be able to run a game with those rules. Rules lite.

for more on this I would check out this thread:

http://pub83.ezboard.com/ftrolllordgamesfrm117.showMessage?topicID=30.topic

As for Castle Zagyg and Yggsburgh, Mr Gygax is working away on them as we speak (write). Fr more on this I would check out the following forums:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3236&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and

http://pub83.ezboard.com/ftrolllordgamesfrm117.showMessage?topicID=6.topic

I hope this helps a little. I will be back in a couple of days - likely Sunday - with alot more info and updates to sorta clarify things. I will also be lurking and smirking for the next 48 to address any other questions.

Davis Chenault
Troll Lord Games

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Thanks for the update.

One question, will 3e or d20 products be compatible with the Castles and Crusades game. For example, will I be able to take monsters out of the Tome of Horrors or whathever and use them, or can I use published 3e adventures?

The Troll Lord

First Post
Rules Lite

The short answer, and the long answer for that matter, is yes. The basic stats presented in C&C are going to make conversion to any edition, plus home play very simple. We are designing the first 'test' module now. The stat blocks are very simple and conversion easy. This modules will be a free download on our website in the coming days. I'll have a preview of the cover today perhaps on the message boards. Check the C&C module spread when you have time. We we finalize it I'll post over here of course.

Henry, you mentioned that teaching new people to play is going to be much easier with C&C and you are dead on. I've been throwing the slogan "learn to play in 20 minutes" around quite a bit. It gets peoples interest. At Troll Kon last month a group of Vamps players (they were all young, having never played D&D) walked by the our test table. I talked to them and challenged them to learn and play in 20. They did and seemed to have good deal of fun. Of course there were some problems here and there, but we are working those over.

We do invite any and all to join the C&C. Its a project we can really get behind, and would like you to as well.

Have a great day.
Steve

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
This sounds really cool, guys. I'm looking forward to playing it next year at Gen Con, if you're running games. :)

Remove ads