Conversion FAQ?

I came here expecting to see a conversion FAQ stickied to the top of the forum. Quite surprising that it wasn't...

So, I guess I'll just have to ask questions. :)

How loose can conversions be? For instance, if a module calls for 20 orcs for a 10th-level party, do you just plunk down 20 standard orcs? Or can you look at the level range suggested for the adventure and set up CRs appropriate for that range?

Take, for instance, the module GDQ1-7 (Queen of Spiders). Send a 3E party through this module at the suggested party level, and I've heard that what you'll end up is a TPK within the first twenty pages. So, can you adjust the number and class levels of the giants? Or do you have to just use the number and levels listed, with minimal conversion?

I already know you can't include any "fluff" text (thus requiring people to buy the ESDs, as I have done), so that's not a problem. :)

Okay, that's all I can think of... Hopefully, someone who does a lot of conversions will start a FAQ, or post a link in this thread...

Seravin

Explorer
1. The conversion should be done as exactly as possible for race, class, level, and magic.
If the module calls for 20 orcs - put them in. It sounds harsh, but it allows a DM to more easily customize the conversion for his/her own game. If you were to lower the encounter strength for your group, it may make unsuitable for someone else's group down the line.
<edit: using only the SRD of course. For monsters not in the SRD you may list it's name, class, level, hit points, source book and page number.>

2. Absolutely correct. Fluff text isn't allowed, however I believe conversion notes are certainly accpetable (for example an encounter says these are 'elite fire giants' so you gave them the elite stat array before building).

3. Note that if a 3E party plays most 1e/2e modules as-is, two things occur. The first is that the party has some ugly encounters up front. The second is that the level faster than you'd believe until they eventually plateau out and have a hard time earning any experience points.
Leopold and I are doing a Night Below conversion right now, and that's pretty much how it played out. Once the characters found their legs, they ended up 3-4 levels over the recommended level before two thirds of the module was done.

4. Finally, go to the conversion library and check out the documents there. They have some rules and an interpretation of our duties under the OGL.

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Heretic Apostate said:
Take, for instance, the module GDQ1-7 (Queen of Spiders). Send a 3E party through this module at the suggested party level, and I've heard that what you'll end up is a TPK within the first twenty pages. So, can you adjust the number and class levels of the giants? Or do you have to just use the number and levels listed, with minimal conversion?

From the Conversion Guidelines drawn up by Anthony Valterra (when he was still at WotC). The text following the bolded text is AV's explanation in "english" :)

">>You are only granted permission to convert the ESD; you may not perform a re-design based upon personal standards and opinions.<<

This merely means that you cannot rewrite the adventure to your particular tastes. For example, if the finale of the adventure is an encounter with a black dragon, you can’t decide that a white dragon would have been so much cooler, or more logical, or whatever."

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/news...nversion_Library/Guidelines_&_Rules/Folks.doc

I'm guessing, if we can't adjust an encounter, we can at least list the CR?

I've seen some concepts in d20 publisher stuff I think would be great to add: scaling suggestions and alertness factors (or whatever they're called).

Fiery Dragon Productions had alertness factors in their adventures. Basically, if you do something in one room, it has consequences in another room nearby. The more fighting, the more prepared the other inhabitants are. Something decidedly missing from many 1E products, where you could throw about exploding fireballs, clank around in armor, bust down doors, and still achieve surprise in the very next room. :)

Thunderhead Games (bought now by Mystic Eye Games?), I believe, has the scaling system of which I'm very enamored. Basically, they provide suggestions on how to scale an encounter if the party has an overabundance of divine spellcasters ("Holier than Thou"), is significantly stronger or weaker, fighter-heavy, and so on.

I'm guessing, though, that those are not allowed. :(

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Heretic Apostate said:
I'm guessing, though, that those are not allowed. :(

I would say you are correct. The addys you mention above are orignal d20 books by various publishers. Anyone can write new stuff however they feel and include whatever they want. :)

Conversions though, have to follow the guidelines laid out by WotC.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases