Carrying Capacity of Flying creatures

Which multiplier should be used for calculating carrying capacity for flying creatures in flight, bipedal or quadrupedal?

The calculation itself seems straightforward -- maximum lifting capacity = maximum load, and then apply a multiplier based on size. I can understand quadrupeds having a greater capacity (since the musculature of all limbs is in use carrying the load, whereas a biped has musculature not being used as efficiently) -- the question is how to apply that to flying creatures. My gut says treat birds as bipeds; though a greater portion of their musculature is devoted to their wings than legs, this is offset by the fact that it takes significantly more power to fly with a given weight than to walk with it. But that's real-world physics, and mixing the real-world and D&D is usually a no-no ...

So I look in the MM, and the Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Hippogriff, and Griffon (the only flying creatures I can find with a carrying capacity listed) all use the x3 multiplier of quadrupeds. They're all magical beasts; should I chalk that up to magic (especially given the bizarre anatomies of Hippogriffs and Griffons), or should that be a general rule for anything that has wings?

The reason behind the question:
The party's 8th level druid wants to wild shape into something that flies and carry party members; I'm trying to figure out what he can reasonably carry. The bipedal modifiers seem intuitively more correct to me -- I just have a hard time envisioning eagles lifting more than horses without magic being involved.

Edit: And what's up with the Dire Bat? Large and Str 17 at 5HD, but an 8HD Dire Hawk is Medium and Str 12. *shakes head* Just no logic ... *slap* it's D&D!

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Hollow bones? big air bladders?

smaller than avg brain size?

it is the force pushing from the top which causes...nevermind...lets get away from physics... :eek:

Seravin

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
That's useful; anyone got a page reference? Some load restriction on flight/maneuverability would make sense.

Monster Manual - page 311/312 - Movement Modes
Under fly it explicitly states that creatures with a fly speed can move through the air at the listed speed if carrying no more than a light load.

I believe in 1e/2e this was also the case.

The text can be interpreted that the flying creature can still move at a reduced speed if carrying more than a light load, since it doesn't explicitly state that a creature can only fly if carrying a light load.

For research purposes you can also look at a pegasus and nightmare. Str 18, carrying capacity 300lbs (x3).

tburdett

Explorer
diaglo said:
Hollow bones? big air bladders?

smaller than avg brain size?

it is the force pushing from the top which causes...nevermind...lets get away from physics... :eek:
More importantly, african or european?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases