Build your own Gamma World

Biohazard

First Post
I'm curious to know what sources, if any, you boys are using to juice up the new d20 Gamma World. I'm using...

1. D20 Menace Manual (Skin Feaster is a perfect Gamma World freak!)
2. Omega World (just for additional mutations)
3. GURPS UltraTech (can anyone comment on what GURPS "tech level" the highest technology in Gamma World would be?)

If I had a million dollars, I'd also buy...
4. GURPS Robots
5. GURPS Biotech
6. GURPS UltraTech 2
7. Darwin's World 2

...Although to be honest, you can very quickly get to information overload, where the majority of your shiny new RPG books just sit around save the occasional flip-through. I know I've done that MANY times before and it's something I'm trying to avoid!

jonrog1

First Post
I'd say, blow the money on the Darwin's World 2 hardcover. It's not even one of my favorite genres, and I think it's one of the best books of the year.

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Modern Player's Companion from Green Ronin and the Game Mechanics. Lots more feats, tools, ideas, advanced classes and subsystems from the guys who wrote d20 Modern.

It's a slim book, but it's cheap and it's really good.

Rolzup

First Post
Only ones not already mentioned are GURPS Y2K and SAVAGE SPECIES.

The former has lots of good PA advice, and the latter...well, great mutant creation rules. What I'm letting my players do is create mutants using the Omega World rules OR by dragging in nonhuman races from any d20 products. Star Wars aliens, Cthulhoid servitor races, D20 Modern's moreaus...whatever they like.

I just want them to have the kind of characters that they want. And in a world with plasma rifles, I'm not all that worried about the game balance issues.

Rolzup

Biohazard

First Post
Rolzup said:

I just want them to have the kind of characters that they want. And in a world with plasma rifles, I'm not all that worried about the game balance issues.

Rolzup

Excellent point. I've always felt the "game balance" obsession that many D&D 3.0/3.5ers have is a bit neurotic. It certainly doesn't apply to Gamma World. Real life isn't balanced, and neither is the insanity of the Gamma World.

May I use your quote? "In a world with plasma rifles, I'm not all that worried about the game balance issues." Good stuff!

Biohazard

First Post
Rolzup said:

Rolzup

Excellent point. I've always felt the "game balance" obsession that many D&D 3.0/3.5ers have is a bit neurotic. It certainly doesn't apply to Gamma World. Real life isn't balanced, and neither is the insanity of the Gamma World.

May I use your quote? "In a world with plasma rifles, I'm not all that worried about the game balance issues." Good stuff!

Gothmog

First Post
I'd approach this from a slightly different angle. I'm going to use Darwin's World 2 as a base, because it blows the new Gamma World out of the water! I'll use some ideas from Gamma World (some lower tech items, maybe some feats and skill uses, and some critters and robots). I WON'T use the GW mutations because they are too wahoo and don't make sense- the DW ones are much better, and the psionic system is FAR superior in DW. I'll also pull inspiration from Redline by FFG, and GURPS Bio Tech, Ultra Tech, Ultra Tech 2, Robots, and Reign of Steel.

What I am going to do that I think could be unbelievably cool is that I'm also going to combine it with Call of Cthulhu d20. The armageddon humanity unleashed awoke some of the great old ones like Cthulhu, and they are now just beginning to spread their influence across the world. Some degenerate humans and raiders now worship the old ones as degenerate cults, and ghouls occupy the necropoli of the ancients. The characters wouldn't have much of an idea about the CoC beasties at first probably believing them to be bizarre mutations, but as they learned more, they would begin to realize what was going on. The CoC critters wouldn't be the center of the campaign, but they would be another thing to consider in the Wastes.

Dark Psion

First Post
GURPS: Bio Tech is very good for genetic engineering rules and there also is GURPS:Uplift for animal-based races. Also I have noticed a new GURPS:Transhuman Space book out with genetic failures that might be of intrest.

Savage Species should be useful in retrofiting some D&D creatures into Gamma World mutants; imagine Illithids as a peacefull race of Octopeople.

One thing that I think Gamma World is missing is Racial Levels for Mutants, Psychics, Cyborgs, Nanohives, and Symboints. By using racial levels the advantages of all of these can be handled a lot better.

Biohazard

First Post
Gothmog said:
What I am going to do that I think could be unbelievably cool is that I'm also going to combine it with Call of Cthulhu d20. The armageddon humanity unleashed awoke some of the great old ones like Cthulhu, and they are now just beginning to spread their influence across the world. Some degenerate humans and raiders now worship the old ones as degenerate cults, and ghouls occupy the necropoli of the ancients. The characters wouldn't have much of an idea about the CoC beasties at first probably believing them to be bizarre mutations, but as they learned more, they would begin to realize what was going on. The CoC critters wouldn't be the center of the campaign, but they would be another thing to consider in the Wastes.

Holy crap, that is TRES COOL. What I like about it also is that since the Cthulhu beasties are technically aliens (not really "gods" in the metaphysical sense) they even fit perfectly into a sci-fi setting. I shall shamelessly copy your idea for my upcoming Gamma World campaign. :D

We need more brainstorming like this on this group...lots of great ideas come of it.

Remove ads