Kiln-Fired Ceramic DM

mythago

Hero
A place to post stories inspired by, or from, previous Ceramic DM competitions.

1. Please do not post stories using pictures from any currently undecided round of Ceramic DM. Once the judges have picked a winner, it's fair game, but it's not nice to the current competitors to jump in before their round is done.

2. Feel free to mix, match, bring in your own pictures, or do whatever you want for illos. This is just for fun. If you want to do a "fantasy round" using a particular set, that's fine too.

3. Please link to the thread with the original competition, if you are doing a set used in an official Ceramic DM. (Not mandatory, but helpful.)

4. Comments and suggestions generally welcome.

5. There is no Rule 5.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
She Waits

From Sialia's art gallery.

"Another cigarette?" she asked. He nodded, and she fished one out of the half-empty pack for him. She watched with interest to see if he could get it between his lips and operate the lighter one-handed without dropping either. It was awkward, but he got it lit and took a long draw.

"Want one?" he asked her. "I think there'll still be enough to last me."

She shook her head. "They don't like smoke," she said, and pointed to the plain mud-colored scarf that covered her hair, or rather, the snakes that made up what would have been hair on a normal woman. Right now they were quiet, sleeping, maybe, so the scarf just looked like she had a big hairdo underneath. She didn't need to hide them from him, so he guessed it was just habit for her, to hide what she was.

In silence they watched the thin curls of smoke rise in the flickering light of the oil lamps. Her house was built into a cave on a rocky hillside, cool and protected from the blazing Aegean sun, not to mention from the residents of the other islands in this archipelago, especially those who knew the oldest stories about the woman who lived here.

He tried to push himself up from the cushions to reach the ashtray. His left leg was almost entirely stone now and he had trouble dragging himself sideways. Without a word, she picked the ashtray up and put it a foot closer to the bed. It was an ochre and black clay bowl about the size of half a grapefruit, probably two thousand years old. He wondered what an archaeologist would make of the bowl, if it were ever found: priceless ancient pottery marred with the remains of American cigarettes.

He crushed out the butt. He felt as though he should spend his last moments doing something important or profound, but with the petrifaction slowly creeping over his body like a cold sunset, he didn't think he would be capable of much, and he was totally unable to think of anything witty as an epigraph. Not that anyone would hear his last words, other than her, and he doubted she would remember them in a few centuries.

"Will you put me in the garden, afterward?" he asked. "With the others."

She hesitated. "If you like?I can. But those are there as a, a warning? They were not friendly when they came here." He thought her English was pretty good, considering she knew it only from the hand-cranked short-wave radio, left behind decades ago by a man who now stood in the olive groves, gathering bird poop.

"All of them?"

"All."

He reached across to touch the gray stone of his left shoulder, where he had been bitten. It felt smooth and cold under his hand, like marble, and he searched in vain for the puncture marks. She leaned in and caught his hand in hers, pulling him away from touching the dead place. Her hands were so small that he could have wrapped his fist entirely around them. But they were warm and alive.

"I'm sorry," she said again. He nodded: he knew she was sorry, and so was he, but it wasn't her fault. It wasn't the snakes' fault, really, when he thought about it. They were part of her, but they were still animals, dumb and aggressive when threatened. In the ecstasy of their lovemaking he had forgotten his own strength, pulling her down to him, and he had crushed one of the snakes. Dying, it struck.

"People think it was meeting your eyes. At least, in the way the stories are told now."

"No. It was always the poison."

"How did you get that close to them?" He regretted saying it immediately; he was afraid she might take it as a suggestion that she routinely slept with and then murdered total strangers.

She pointed toward the antechamber to her cave. "Wine," she explained. "If I see their boat coming, I put out wine, and roast lamb, and I hide. They are hot, and tired, and thirsty from the long trip. They sit and eat and get sleepy. They do not hear me come back."

"But you didn't do that to me."

"You were different."

"How could you possibly have known that?"

She shrugged. "I have seen many people in many years. I knew."

She had told him, when he arrived three weeks ago, that he was the first who had come here seeking to do something other than cut off her head and hunt for whatever treasure she might have hoarded over the centuries. All he'd wanted was a working vacation and a travel piece, and then he'd gone off-course and found her island. And her.

Even knowing what she was, he still loved her.

The stone had reached the left side of his chest now. He knew he had only a short time before his heart turned gray. He gently removed his hand from hers and reached for the knot of her scarf. Before she could protest, he pulled it off. The snakes stirred, their beautiful green scales glittering in the lamplight.

"Your real jewels," he slurred. His left lung seemed to have stopped working.

She gave him a last, sweet kiss, her snakes brushing against his skin as though they would miss him too.

BSF

Explorer
Ooh! I didn't notice that you posted Mythago! I found this one by accident while I was searching for the Ceramic DM tourney in which you trounced Piratecat so a friend of mine could read it. :) I think I will wait on this one until I see if I move from alternate to competitor in the current contest.

Looking forward to reading it though.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Were you all out of bubblegum, then?

Is this going to turn into one of those story hour threads where the discussion about the thread is five times the length of the actual story material? That happened to the Stewardesses story hour thread -- the entire story (the first adventure, anyway) is in the first page of the thread. The rest is just the usual yahoos malingering and causing trouble.

Not that I'm a yahoo. Usual or otherwise.

mythago

Hero
I think I had one piece left, but it was way in the bottom of my purse, and it got kinda linty, and...well...you know.

(I was referring to the ten-minute fistfight, in case that wasn't clear.)

Anyone who wants to improve the content-to-peanut-gallery ratio is certainly welcome to post their own darn story. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases