Golems as Characters?

ckirby

First Post
I have always liked the idea that a Golem could be used as by a player as their character in the game, instead of just something that they encounter from time to time or create (for the very very very long campaigns).

I've only done it once, in AD&D 2E, when a player lost his life but his soul was trapped in an iron golem. Now, in general, golems aren't the brightest light on the tree, but they care useful and fun to play as a NPC.

So, to make a short question long, has anyone else explored this type of creation as a possible player character? If so, what rules are placeing on the players?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rants? All are welcome.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Dragonstar has "soul mechs," which are something like golems. (I don't have the book yet, so I can't elaborate.) You might want to check it out....

ckirby

First Post
Soul mechs, huh? I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

How about placeing an NPC in a golem? I'm thinking about making an evil character my players 'will' eventually "take care of", but would like to have him/her return as a golem instead of the all-to-used undead.

Anyone have a golem as a major NPC?

BluWolf

Explorer
I did use a bone golem as a returning nemesis one time. They kept on tryin gto turn him and got freaked out when the party cleric (the highest lvl PC at the time) couldn't do it.

That aside, there is an article in the current issue of Dungeon I beleave that deals with a half-construct template. This may have some good input.

I like the idea. My homebrew campaign world is a steam-punkish/magically twisted world that would absolutely allow for these sorts of creatures.

I think construct is more the way to go however. Golems as carry a whole slew of uneccesary Special Qualities that may be too powerful for a playable ECL.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The excellent book Mythic Races has a dwarven stone construct as a PC race. Well balanced, too. Their prestige class lets them become living siege engines! :D

ckirby

First Post
Wow! Living siege engines! Now that would be fun to play, but a bit too much for a DM to handle...

DM: "OK, group, you've entered the castle. The Lord of the castle is surrounded by his small force of elite warriors. He smiles at you and says, 'Welcome to my home. Now, meet your doom!' What do you do?"

Player 1: "OK, we point Jeane towards the small cluster and fire her."

Player 2 (Jeane): "Bang!"

:)

Last edited:

Garmorn

Explorer
Soul Mechs

Wolfspider said:
Dragonstar has "soul mechs," which are something like golems. (I don't have the book yet, so I can't elaborate.) You might want to check it out....

They simply applied the rules of a construct to humans and added the rule that the player could not improve the physical stats thru level gaint improvements nor do spells designed to enhance living creatures like bull strenght work on them. It ends up very blanced.

One big draw back is that your clerics can't heal them. (They are not living.)

Breakstone

First Post
I've always wanted to have a villain be a ghost possessing an iron golem who's the head of a mafia.

An intelligent Iron Golem... that'd be cool...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases