whip and whip-dagger

bertman4

First Post
Hey All,

I had a couple of questions about the whip and whip-dagger.
1. If you have Weapon Focus: Whip, does it also apply to the whip-dagger?
2. If you have Weapon Specialization: Whip, does it also apply to the whip-dagger?
3. Do you need Weapon Finesse to use the whip-dagger using your Dex bonus?

Here are the reasons why I ask these questions. In the 3.5 PHB, it lists the whip as the Exotic One-Handed Melee Weapon. In the description, it states that, “You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.”

In Sword and Fist, the whip-dagger is listed in the Exotic Weapons - RANGED table with a Special designation for weapon category (tiny, small, medium or large). In the description, it states, “A character who takes an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in the whip is also proficient in the whip dagger. (You do not need to take a separate feat to use the whip dagger if you already have a feat for the whip.)”

In the Arms and Equipment Guide, the whip-dagger is listed in the Exotic Weapons – Ranged table under the small weapon category.

In the 3.0 PHB, the Whip was listed under Exotic Weapons – Ranged table under the small weapon category.

My current take on this is that the answer to #3 above is yes. The 3.5 PHB/SRD has reclassified the whip as a melee weapon with special rules. Therefore the whip dagger should also become reclassified as a melee weapon with special rules.

My current take on questions #1 and #2 is that you can indeed apply Weapon Focus and Specialization to both whip and whip-dagger.

Bertman

bertman4

First Post
Follow up question:

So what happens if you want to dual wield whips? Because my character has both Weapon Finesse feat and Two Weapon Fighting feat, I’ve been using a –2/-2 to my attacks (thinking they are essentially light weapons). But my friend has pointed out that technically the whip is a one-handed weapon, not a light weapon. Therefore dual wield whips should be at –4/-4. Re-reading the rules, I would agree with him. The whip is still a one-handed melee weapon with a special rule that allows you to use Weapon Finesse. It does not actually change the weapon size category.

Bertman

Remove ads