Best non-evil assassain build?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I've been toying with making an non-evil assassain type character? I want your opinions as to the best build? Straight rogue and lots of sneak attack related feats or go for the darkhunter PrC and get an honest to goodness death attack? Maybe you've got some other idea I haven't thought of. Forget Slayer of Domiel. It's too weak and requires too many feats.

Chroma

Explorer
Shazman said:
I've been toying with making an non-evil assassain type character? I want your opinions as to the best build?

Just about anything with a couple of levels of Shadowdancer. I have a Chaotic Good cult built around "righteous vengeance" that uses Shadowdancers as their "assassins"... frighteningly effective.

Dark Jezter

First Post
If you want a ninja-type assassin with lots of martial arts tricks, go with a monk.

If you want the archtypical skulking assasin who strikes silently from the shadows, a straight rogue (with maybe a couple of levels in Shadowdancer) will do well.

If you want an Artemis Entreri-style assassin who can sneak around as well as holding his own in a fight, you should be a mutliclassed fighter/rogue.

Really, there are a lot of types of assassins you can make using the D&D rules.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I do like the idea of shadowdancer levels. The only thing that makes me hesitant about this class is wasting a feat on combat reflexes (pretty much useless unless you've got a reach weapon) and killing sneak attack progression.

What books do you have? There's some pretty good options in Oriental Adventures and Rokuga for instance. Also, what kind of assassin do you want to build? A historical ninja type of assassin, or more of a Michael Dudikoff American Ninja kinda thing?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Joshua Dyal said:
What books do you have? There's some pretty good options in Oriental Adventures and Rokuga for instance. Also, what kind of assassin do you want to build? A historical ninja type of assassin, or more of a Michael Dudikoff American Ninja kinda thing?

I've got those books, but I'm trying to stick with 3.5 core books plus Miniatures Handbook , Complete Warrior, Unearthed Arcana, and 3.5 issuses of Dragon for this build.

Chroma

Explorer
Shazman said:
I do like the idea of shadowdancer levels. The only thing that makes me hesitant about this class is wasting a feat on combat reflexes (pretty much useless unless you've got a reach weapon) and killing sneak attack progression.

Wow, Combat Reflexes was the Feat the two people who've taken Shadowdancer in my campaign were keen on, since they were both high Dex characters.

As to sneak attack, you only need 2-3 levels of Shadowdancer to be effective, and once you get a shadow companion, you've always got a spy/flanking partner. The shadow jump is also good for perpetrating those "locked room" kills.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Thanks for the input. I may rethink the sahdwodancer build. I guess hide in plain sight is the best way to go to get off sneak attack without flanking. I still hate to waste combat reflexes. No matter how high your dex is, it's rare to get attacks of opportunity in most games, making this feat useless. If you've got a reach weapon, it become a respectable feat. I might shoot for a level of ranger and darkhunter as well. Combined with Ability Focus (death attack), it might be a very good assassain.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
The other factor of combat reflexes is useful - opportunity attacks while flat footed - stops those pesky victims backing off?

Would the DM consider changing/removing the evil requirement of the Assasin Prc. I've heard that one a few times before and it makes sense?

Should this be in the rules forum?

Remove ads