Frank's Advanced monsters

The Edge

First Post
frankthedm said:
...delicious giant slug!...[Sblock=20HD Advanced Giant Slug] Acid Spit (Ex): Ranged touch, 20’ range, damage 6d6 Acid. The target’s armor and clothing is also dissolved unless it makes a Reflex DC 25 save. The save DC is Constitution-based.[/sblock]

Nasty critter. Does it have a racial bonus on damage against letuces? :)

Question, about the acid. Does that mean an automatic successful sunder on all worn gear? Because thats pretty scary. All straps would be disolved ruining nearly any type of armour instantly. Then again, it is a big beast.

frankthedm

First Post
The Edge said:
Nasty critter. Does it have a racial bonus on damage against letuces? :)

Question, about the acid. Does that mean an automatic successful sunder on all worn gear? Because thats pretty scary. All straps would be disolved ruining nearly any type of armour instantly. Then again, it is a big beast.
I did not copy the Dragon magazine text exactly. It is supposed to dissolve the armor/clothing instantly unless that save is made. It dissolves ANY armor instantly. No "damage" is dealt, the armor just goes from usable to useless.

frankthedm

First Post
I mentioned this idea here. Finally got around to doing the stats...

[sblock=Haeltar'n, Least Hunter of Baphomet, Half fiend minotaur suitable for Lessser Planar Binding]Large Outsider
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Fly 30 ft. (average).
Armor Class: 17 (+2 dex, –1 size, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed — (see text)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Greataxe +11 melee (3d6+6/x3) or gore +11 melee (1d8+4) or Bite +11 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Greataxe +11/+6 melee (3d6+6/x3) and gore +6 melee (1d8+2), Bite +6 melee (1d8+2) or two claws +11 Melee (1d6+6), gore +6 melee (1d8+2) & Bite +6 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge 4d6+6, Smite good, Spell like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/magic, immunity to poison, natural cunning, resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10, scent, SR 11.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +2, Intimidate +9, Jump +15, Listen +13, Move silently +6, Search +13, Spot +13, Survival +7.
Feats: Skill focus (Survival), Power Attack, Track
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class

A minotaur stands more than 7 feet tall and weighs about 700 pounds.

This fiendish minotaur speaks Abyssal, Giant & Common.

COMBAT

Powerful Charge (Ex): A minotaur typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its mighty horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack with a +9 attack bonus that deals 4d6+6 points of damage.

Natural Cunning (Ex): Although minotaurs are not especially intelligent, they possess innate cunning and logical ability. This gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. Further, they are never caught flat-footed.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Caster level 6, and the save DC is Charisma-based (10+ spell level ). Darkness 3/day, Desecrate 1/day, Unholy blight 1/day.

Skills: Minotaurs have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theocrat

First Post
Frank the DM's Advanced Bestiary

Hi all -
Frank the DM - awesome, awesome work. Wow.
I really don't know how you do it. I've been playing since I was 8yrs old in 1979. I have all the books (expect the psionics, and tome of magic / magic of incarnum stuff). I don't read them, mind you. I can't see how they really expect us to read 2 magazines, 3 books per month by WotC, buy a d20 book each month and still read a novel someplace in the space of 30days. Damn I've really got to take that speed reading class. Well they've helped in the department of closing down the 2 magazines I'm expected to read, but then I picked up a Pathfinder subscription.
I'm preparing my Rob Kuntz's Cairn of the Skeleton King module. I was planning on using Libris Mortis's Larkark the Chosen as the protector for the bad guy. But I think that I'd love to see the Half-Fiend Minotaur modifed with levels of the Choosen class (it's the first PrC in the LM, with an orc as the sample).
The thing that I'd prefer with Monster Manual 5 or 6 is something along the lines of what your doing. d20 companies can't make use of all the cool crap that WotC is producing, and of course, other companies aren't going to make use of all the cool crap that is in Tome of Horrors I-III, Dangerous Denzions, Advanced Bestiary, Eden's Monsterbook, or any of those other dozen books. So we're not going to see a cool Eaten One from DD that has Libris Mortis class or feats or whatever else. That sucks.
Nor are we going to see many Minotaurs with with a ccomplete warior class. That sucks.
So what I'd like to ask is that you make the minotaur with the chosen class from LM for me.
But in so doing, please point out how you did it. It takes me days, weeks even to work something like that myself.

As owner of GreyhawkOnline.com, I offer free Web hosting. I'd love to see you PDF all those Advanced Monsters you've done and I'd host it. As it is, I had to copy and paste into word all the beholders, the minotaur, the awesome blink dogs and so forth. It would be great if those resources were combined. I even downloaded all of your Spell Effects Templates. Same thing, a Spell Effects Templates compilation would be AWESOME.

Thanks for your hard work, and again, I'd love to see how you do it. Not just the end result.
Be Well. Be Well Advanced.
Theocrat Issak

Haeltar'n, Least Hunter of Baphomet, Half fiend minotaur suitable for Lessser Planar Binding

frankthedm

First Post
How i do it?

Y'all want a secret?

I'm lazy. I prefer advancing monsters using resources I can copy and paste from. I also try to stick close to the core rules because I have no idea what any given DM will allow. Sticking close to the core also is a self imposed restraint. Using too much splat material can make TPK machines{and i mean worse than most posted here]. I avoid most PRCs & Several Splat feats really power up some monsters. I have balance concerns involving Rock Chuckers with brutal throw and power throw, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20070607a has an elemental with the first feat of that combo.

Here is the full advancement of that critter for those who want it. [sblock=Unplatested max advancment Ruin Elemental]Great Ruin Elemental CR ?18?
LE huge elemental (earth)
Init -1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Listen +9, Spot +9
Languages Terran
-----------------------------------------
AC 24, touch 7, flat-footed 24 (-2 size, -1 dex +17 natural)
hp 567 (42 HD); DR 5/--
Fort +33, Ref +13, Will +18
Immune elemental immunities, spike stones
------------------------------------------------
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee 2 slams +45 each (2d6+16)
Power Attack [20 point] 2 slams +25 each (2d6+36)
Ranged rock +47/+42/+37/+32 (3d6+16 19-20 crit)
Power Throw [30 point] +17/+12/+7/+2 (3d6+46 19-20 crit)
Power Throw [15 point] +32/+27/+22/+18 (3d6+31 19-20 crit)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Base Atk +31; Grp +23
Atk Options Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Brutal Throw, Rapid Shot
Special Actions shock wave
----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 42******, Dex 8, Con 28, Int 10*, Wis 15, Cha 7
SA rock throwing, shock wave
SQ elemental traits
Feats Brutal Throw[CAd] [1], Improved Bull Rush[3], Improved Sunder [6], Power Attack [9], Iron will [12], Weapon focus (rock)[15], Point Blank shot [18], Quickdraw [21], skill focus (hide)[24], Brutal throw[CAd][27], Improved crit (rock) [30], Far shot[33], Awesome blow [36], skill focus spot[39], blind fight[42]
Skills Hide +26*, Jump +18, Listen +22, Spot +25
* Ruin elementals have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of ruined stone.
---------------------------------------------
Immunities (Ex) Ruin elementals take no damage and suffer no impeded movement in the area of a spike stones spell.

Rock Throwing (Ex) It hurls rocks weighing up to 80 pounds (Medium objects) up to five range increments. The range increment is 300 feet for this ruin elemental's thrown rocks.

Shock Wave (Ex) Every 1d4 rounds, as a swift action, a ruin elemental can strike the ground to create a shock wave in a 20-foot-radius spread centered on itself. All creatures not of the earth subtype within the radius of the shock wave are treated as if bull rushed by the ruin elemental. The ruin elemental receives a +4 bonus on this check from Improved Bull Rush, as well as +4 for each size category it is larger than the targeted opponent. Creatures that fail the opposed checks are pushed back 5 feet and knocked prone.

Total Bonuses
+32 against Small creatures
+28 against Medium creatures
+24 against Large creatures
+20 against Huge creatures[/sblock]

I wasted 3 hours doing that. I just got the urge to do so when i saw the monster.

I copy and paste the monster entry into MSword/open office.
I open http://www.d20srd.org/ to "improving monsters" and keep that open to reference
I type the changes, usually stiicking to core material. {other than improved toughness]
I open the calculator for math like skill points and High HD hp.
I post the new monster entry

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Gustave, elite ancient giant crocodile [sblock= Gustave CR7 Giant Crocodile] GIANT CROCODILE Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 13d8+91+13 (162 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (–2 size, +3 Dex, +7 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+27
Attack: Bite +17 melee (2d8+15 19-20 crit) or tail slap +17 melee (1d12+15)
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (2d8+15 19-20 crit) or tail slap +17 melee (1d12+15)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +7
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 2
Skills: Hide +7*, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +16
Feats: Combat Reflexes, improved toughness, Skill Focus (Hide), Iron will, improved crit bite
Environment: Warm marshes
Challenge Rating: 7
Advancement: 14 HD (Huge)

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a crocodile must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, the crocodile establishes a hold on the opponent with its mouth and drags it into deep water, attempting to pin it to the bottom.

Hold Breath (Ex): A crocodile can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: A crocodile has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
*A crocodile gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when in the water. Further, a crocodile can lie in the water with only its eyes and nostrils showing, gaining a +10 cover bonus on Hide checks
[/sblock]

frankthedm

First Post
Here is a Modded iron golem. I think the trade off's are about equal considering how bad Con damage is.[sblock=Lightning themed Iron Golem]TALOSIAN IRON GOLEM Large Construct
Hit Dice: 18d10+30 (129 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (–1 size, –1 Dex, +22 natural) touch 8, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+28
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d10+11)
Full Attack: 2 slams +23 melee (2d10+11)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Organization: Solitary or gang (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 19–24 HD (Large); 25–54 HD (Huge)

A talosian iron golem almost always has a visage of Talos on worlds where he is worshipped. Talosian iron golems sometimes carry a spear in one hand. A talosian iron golem is 12 feet tall and weighs about 5,000 pounds. A talosian iron golem cannot speak or make any vocal noise, though it has a distinguishable odor of a lightning strike.

Combat

Breath Weapon (Su): 120-foot line, line of electricity, free action once every 1d4+1 rounds; 10d6 damage, Reflex DC 19 for half. The save DC is Constitution-based. The golem tries to affect as many creatures as possible, other than its creator, with the line, including itself when attacking. Every 4 HD the golem advances adds 1d6 to the electrical damage it’s breath weapon deals.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): An Talosian iron golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance other than the spells noted below. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. These events occur even if the effect could not normally affect the golem.

A magical attack that deals cold damage slows an Talosian iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical effect that provides energy resistance to lightning instead prevents the golem from using it’s breath weapon for a number of rounds equal to the caster’s level.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points, these temporary HP do not stack.. For example, an Talosian iron golem hit by a lightning bolt gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An Talosian iron golem gets no saving throw against electrical effects.

An Talosian iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Construction
An Talosian iron golem’s body is sculpted from 5,000 pounds of pure iron, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 10,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 Craft (armorsmithing) check or a DC 20 Craft (weaponsmithing) check.
CL 16th; Craft Construct, lightning bolt or chain lightning, geas/quest, limited wish*, polymorph any object*, caster must be at least 16th level; Price 150,000 gp; Cost 80,000 gp + 5,600 XP.

*Clerics of Talos may substitute a Miracle in place of limited wish and polymorph any object.[/sblock]

Well, I am starting to like excel. Simpler monster are a real breeze. Here is the entire advancment for an iron golem. You will still need the base entry, but this has all the numbers run through excel.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6595/advancedirongolemmj6.gif

Attachments

• TALOSIAN IRON GOLEM.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 111
  • golem.xls
    40 KB · Views: 99
  • Frankthedm's iron golem advancement.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Remove ads